Had one for a couple of weeks. There's a review over at Britmodeler.

The kit looks good; better and more detailed I think that their recent offerings like the Canberra and Nimrod. The cockpit is pretty good for OOTB, and the kit has a number of options like folded or unfolded wings, dropped flaps, tailhook and ventral speed brake position. The wing fold is detailed, and there are large internal braces for strength for the unfolded option. The only nits I've found so far is some slight sink areas on the outer wing panels near where the recesses for the internal braces are, and the Red Top fins are a little thick. A plus is that you actually get 4 Red Tops in the kit for a full missile loadout, although the instructions only have you use two.

Edited by Dave Williams

What scale are you looking for?

I work in 1/72 primarily and have both the Xtrakit/MPM kit and the Revell AG which is a re-issue of the old Frog mold in 1/72 scale. The Xtrakit/MPM kit is definitely the way to go in my opinion. Pretty good detail, crisp, fine recessed panel lines, some resin and etch bits are a nice adder. Decals look good as well. Looks really nice. You can make either an FAW.1 or an FAW.2 out of that kit. The Revell/Frog is ONLY an FAW.2 as the forward boom fuel tanks are molded into the boom instead of being separate parts as in the Xtrakit/MPM kit.

Unfortunately, I cannot speak as to the fit yet as it is in the stash waiting to be built someday.

The 1/48 Airfix offering is superb. Just buy it. Some minor flaws but basically fits together well and is nice and accurate.

In 1/72 the Xtrakit/MPM kit only looks good in the box. Fit is horrible, nose is all wrong, resin is pointless (ejector seats far too small for instance), it's a real dog's breakfast. The High Planes kit is the same amount of work but much more accurate.

I've got the Airfix 1/48th kit and it is just superb - one of the best kits they have ever done. Well detailed, accurate and according to the reviews and builds that I've seen so far it fits like a glove. I couldn't recommend it highly enough, it's a fantastic kit.

• 4 months later...

I've just get this kit today and you just have to love it.

I have read the new review http://inscale.org/pub/index.php?topic=1287.0 and again, except some stupid imperfections like sink marks and ejector pin marks nothing really bad.

But I would like to ask someone who have this kit about Rocket launcher pods. Mine RP are the same as on the photo in this review. Are we speaking about the bad molds generally, or I wasn't lucky. And do you guys know, is there any 1/48 scale kit with properly molded RN 2-inch rocket pods? I didn't found any third party of these on the market.

And I would ask you for one more information... The Microcell 2in. Rocket launchers were deleted on later FAW.2 Vixens, so I would like to know is that referring on brand new built FAW.2s or these were deleted on some of the FAW.1 converted as well? I couldn't find any reliable info regarding this.

And interesting thing is that very often I read about Matra SNEB 68mm launchers and on Sea Vixen, but the guy stated that those were never used on FAA aircraft and that those were not even cleared for use. I know that SNEB wasnt exist in Sea Vixen time, but can somebody comfirm that Matra launchers were never used on Vixens? I know that RAF have Matra Type 2 (24x68mm) and later 155, but even Airfix in description of Sea Vixen have stated the Matra RPs.

m1tw_5da_u3t72.jpg