1/48 Monogram B-17G "Little Patches"

More progress pics! Painted the OD last night, and masked around the areas that needed to be painted red.

5558242384_cb5e907698_b.jpg

Needs a little touch up.

5557658847_a38a6d0af4_b.jpg

Touch ups, done, and I've put the plane back together just so I could stare at it lol.

5557659941_361af8fb3b_b.jpg

5558243428_00331219eb_b.jpg

Now I just need to mask areas so I could add subtle changes in color to break the monotony of the OD.

Your build brings back some great model building memories. Excellent work so far! Thsi is still an all time favorite kit to build and it would be great to see more of this.

The last one I fully built was back in the early (or Mid) 90's and it was called "909".........cool bird and it had red tips with big triangle emblem on the tail ,etc.

I actually left out some of the pieces in the nose area so that after seem filling/sandng and then painting, I could add the clear pieces and then the seats, Norden bomb, site, etc.....kinda like a ship-in-a-bottle build. It worked really well and all I had to do was stuff soem wadding in tha area prior to airbriushing exterior.

As I recall, we did a group build and we had, I think, three three-ship cells (9 planes total) staggered on the ceiling (as our reference guides showed us how to do) of a now closed hobby shop. We had a gaggle of Bf-109's (all from same squadron) peeling off into the 17s. It was an awesome site to see. I know we built "Lil' Patches", "Outhouse Mouse", "909" and a host of others at that time.

It was a ghost flight obviosly as we did not have any figures in the planes at that time.

Is this the newer B-17 release with extra parts and crew?

Thanks guys, I'm just happy I haven't ruined this model yet. Goodness knows I've ruined enough of them when I was a kid. xD

Wizard, yes this is the re-release of the Monogram Visible B-17G, that has the 5 crew members plus the parts for the Cheyenne turret. I decided to use the crew on a B-26 instead. :salute:

Bigasshammm, thanks for the tip! I've been looking at my old books to get some ideas how to weather this plane. This is what I've done the past hour or so.

5558889849_41b9b31933_b.jpg

5559468668_019ecef820_b.jpg

5558892363_798733aced_b.jpg

I need to repaint the chrome color on the main wings, because I forgot what happened when you put tape over metal-looking paints.

5559469452_ac185d5525_b.jpg

And now I'm gonna start my B-17's nemesis, a Sturmbock!

5559471386_ecd02f0908_b.jpg

Nice. Way to go on the metal finish where the de-icers would be. A lot of times they just removed them because they would get torn to bits in all the flak and create a ton of drag. Not sure if I'll be painting any of mine or not.

PM inbound also on a question.

Quick update. I sprayed to model with future and after a couple of hours, started putting the decals on. I also started weathering the plane, starting with paint chipping.

5560877384_91f25142d1_b.jpg

I used the kits-world decals. While they are good decals, for some reason, they kept wanting to fold unto themselves, OVER AND OVER. Not exactly sure what's going on, but it was getting ridiculous.

5560302641_15abaa029c_b.jpg

As you can see, I lost part of the mission markings, due to the decal deciding to roll over itself. Thought about ordering another set, but eh, don't really want to spend another $10 for that small part.

5560878224_8f81c1f49f_b.jpg

As long as the chick look good .....

i just got Kit world decals for my B-25 project hope they dont do the same thing

BTW how did you do the silver paint chipping ?? using a pen??

Looks great

Cheers

Neo

As long as the chick look good .....

i just got Kit world decals for my B-25 project hope they dont do the same thing

BTW how did you do the silver paint chipping ?? using a pen??

Looks great

Cheers

Neo

Hi Neo, I used a paintbrush with a small tip to do the chipping. It's a slow process, but totally worth it, IMHO. I completely forgot to build the ball turret :whistle: so now I'm working on that, in addition to painting the wheels and the propellers.

Here is the ball turret all finished.

5567488354_58b9acd692_b.jpg

And here are the propellers, waiting for their decals, which will be applied on them, as soon as I can find them.

5566904961_853e44e034_b.jpg

Here's the underside of Little Patches.

5566904333_86fd9b1e9e_b.jpg

I decided to go overboard on the weathering, since I've always loved the rough, beaten look of an OD B-17.

5567486060_07da080e67_b.jpg

5567485298_0a42a27dcb_b.jpg

Hopefully by tomorrow, I'll be able to spray this plane with dullcote so I could finally remove the window masks!

Love it! The exhaust streaking looks damn good! Very well done there. The only thing I can count against, is in the picture of the ball turret, the are you have unpainted that is at the seam should be painted. That's not a window.

http://www.100thbg.com/mainmenus/351st/images16/hilton.jpg

http://i.pbase.com/g6/18/513218/2/84989388.yMQ5HzQm.jpg

Other than that, freak'n spot on!

Anytime bud.

Trust me, this is not an uncommon thing, I sheepishly admit I do similar things all the time. Have you ever been so eager to get going on a build that you glue the fuse halves together, take the time to get the seams right and go to set it down for the night only to look at it in horror as you realise you forgot to install the cockpit? No? Well.....me neither.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...