Meh, not really. I'm not getting as much done as I'd like. I forgot how long it takes to open all the airscoops under the wings, especially for 2 aircraft. Hopefully today I'll have landing lights done and at least prop tips painted, maybe more. We'll see.

Still trying to figure out the D models cowls. I've put in a call to the head research guy down at dayton, hopefully he'll call back.

Edited by B-17 guy

Shawn, I hear ya brother, one thing at a time. The research I'm putting into the swoose build is taking up a lot of time.

Karl, I found that pic too, unfortunately it doesnt give me what I'm looking for as far how many cowls there are. And also the floating ring sitting on top there. I would think it would come apart in multiple sections, just cant figure out how many and where I would scribe a seam. Putting pics to plastic is a PITA.

Good news though, I figured what the hell, and called the AFM yestarday, I left a voicemail with a guy who I guess is head research fuy there. I got a call back but missed it, a differant guy left return call info so I called him back, left voicemail. Phone tag is on!

I'm ask a few questions about the cowls and see what I get. Also gonna ask for pics of few areas and what I get there. I wanna wait to start building today till I talk to this guy, then go from there. Wish me luck.

On many airplanes, that forward cowl is one piece. It doesn't have a split in it and can only be removed when the prop is removed. B-25's are that way and that is what appears to be the case here. Can't help you with the number of pieces for the removable part.

EDIT: I started looking at those pictures and noted where the Dzus fasteners are close together. That is where the cowling pieces would meet. Doesn't quite look like it goes a quarter of the way around, so I would guess there are either five or six pieces of removable cowling. The B-17G fixed cowl is in 5 sections aft of the cowl flaps (well, there is a forward and aft fixed cowl so in total there are ten pieces per engine) FWIW. The cowl forward of the cowl flaps (called the ant-drag ring) is in three pieces. It will be interesting to find out what you learn from the AFM.

Swoosecowl1.jpg

As I re-read this, I think I have confused the issue. My apologies if that is the case!

Edited by 100th BG

Ok, just got of the phone with the guy for the AFM. He's gonna send me pics in email of "D model aircraft", so we'll see where that gets me. I was asking specific questions but he really couldnt answer, didnt seem to knowledgeable on the aircraft other than saying "she really is a bastard aircraft". Appearently she has wings from an F, landing gear from an E and tons of other mixmatched parts. So, I'll just wait till I get the pics, and go from there. Now back to the bench!

Very, very interesting stuff.

I think by the time this GB is done, visitors wont be here for the models we make, but the reference material, and information this GB has dug up! Hahahaha... I'll still be here for the models though...

Hopefully those pictures get you some good information though.

Cheers,

Mark.

It doesn't affect this project, but the next cowl shape change was on the B-17F when they introduced the paddle blade propellers. The larger chord blade required the cowling to be shorter to allow the prop to feather without fouling the cowling. I can't recall what book I read that in, but the info is out there somewhere.

It doesn't affect this project, but the next cowl shape change was on the B-17F when they introduced the paddle blade propellers. The larger chord blade required the cowling to be shorter to allow the prop to feather without fouling the cowling. I can't recall what book I read that in, but the info is out there somewhere.

I read that in the Squadron Signal book the image above is from.

I read that in the Squadron Signal book the image above is from.

Yea there's a section about the differences to the props. Didn't notice a change to the cowls though. Haven't read the book yet as I just got it yesterday.

Pretty interesting book. Wish there were more interior pictures. I'll have to get another one.

Do you have the "walk around" book? I saw that one but didn't win the auction on it.

Might have to pick it up but am wondering if it's even worth it.

no actually, with all the love I have for the fort I only have 1 book on it...

Got a little more done tonight. I srcribed the panels in the cowls, dont know how correct they are but I did what I could off the pics I had.

Played with the rear half of the swoose, got them cut out, sanded and aligned, I just hope I can get the horizontal tail to line up right. I wanna add some rib and stringer detail in the waist, cant have it too bare in the there. The oil cooler air scoops should be done in the next day or two.

Also, I'll be making an announcement (hopefully no later than monday) on a new product that might interest B-17F fans who want to model something other than what comes in the box of the revell F. And I dont mean decals. I'm excited about this. Cant say what it is before I get a complete kit and use part of the one I already have.

Got a little more done tonight. I srcribed the panels in the cowls, dont know how correct they are but I did what I could off the pics I had.

Played with the rear half of the swoose, got them cut out, sanded and aligned, I just hope I can get the horizontal tail to line up right. I wanna add some rib and stringer detail in the waist, cant have it too bare in the there. The oil cooler air scoops should be done in the next day or two.

Also, I'll be making an announcement (hopefully no later than monday) on a new product that might interest B-17F fans who want to model something other than what comes in the box of the revell F. And I dont mean decals. I'm excited about this. Cant say what it is before I get a complete kit and use part of the one I already have.

I R Excited as well!

• 1 month later...

Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just caught that you posted this now.

I know, I know, I need to to get back to work on my forts. I could give a bunch of excuses but you'd bust me anyway. I've just been slack'n.

One word of advice....when someone says they are moving, dont volunteer to help. Sounds cruel I know, but man can things go south in a hurry! I'm perfectly willing to help friends out but I hate moving!

Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just caught that you posted this now.

I know, I know, I need to to get back to work on my forts. I could give a bunch of excuses but you'd bust me anyway. I've just been slack'n.

One word of advice....when someone says they are moving, dont volunteer to help. Sounds cruel I know, but man can things go south in a hurry! I'm perfectly willing to help friends out but I hate moving!

So i guess i cant count on you in June to help me out in moving !! Dang

lol

cant wait to see more progress

• 4 weeks later...

Ok people, I am alive! I do not have any progress pics right at this moment, but as soon as I get up after typing this I will be going to sit down at the bench. I plan to close up the fortress III's fueslage today and hopefully the D's forward fuselage. I will say however that I will not be doing too much with the interior and am not really striving for accuracy as the bulk of it wont be seen when closed up, so screw it. Update with pictures tonight!