Thanks dirk, wait till you that book, it's pretty interesting. I learned a few things that I would have never thought of.

So, didnt get as much today as I hoped, we'll see what happens tommorrow. The weather is supposed to be warmer but I cant think of too much I want to do seeing as how wet my yard still is. Blah, blah, blah....on with some pics!

Ballpark of how the D's nose will look.

P3252172.jpg

Scratch built radio room for the D.

P3252164.jpg

Fortress III's radio room.

P3252163.jpg

P3252166.jpg

P3252169.jpg

P3252178.jpg

P3252181.jpg

So like I said, not much done today. Neither fuse got closed today and I really cant wait to get that done as it'll clear up clutter on the bench.

BUT! I did get a part of another project done today. I'm not gonna tell you what it is, I'll see if you can figure it out.

I've got 3 of these.

P1012188.jpg

Homemade decals

P1012187.jpg

This shouldnt take long, there aint much at all to the kits.

AGAIN, great work on the Fort. I'm currently involved in a F-86 Sabre group build and I'm a HUGE hockey fan so I'm hooked on this next project of yours. Let me know where you'll be posting pictures.

Edited by Dirkpitt289
Hmmmmmmm, an F-86 with a Buffaslug on it :D

Yup, well, sorta,,,,we'll see. The kits themselves will be cake, simple cockpit, not much detail. The hard part is gonna be the paint scheme's. I'm planning 3 of these right now, one blue and gold, another red and black, not sure about the 3rd. Was never really fond of the slug, just decal'd it for good measure.

I hate the plug for the ball turret! Could not get it in right, ended up with CA all over my fingers. Found a good way to remove CA from skin though, sanding sticks! Just sand it right off, done.

Anyways, got some time over the last 2 days to get some work done. Here's the proof.

P1012196.jpg

P1012197.jpg

P1012199.jpg

P1012200.jpg

Nothing has been sanded as of yet, just filled, I just wanted to get some pics up.

Nice work going on. There is a big difference between the two when you place them side by side. I think I like the convertible option best. :wacko:

What's the story with the 1/2 fort? What is your method to doing the antennas?

Just a quick pic to show the difference in the length of the noses from the early forts to the later forts

P1012201.jpg

Didn't notice that before... :coolio:

I think that someone screwed up in the location of the wing attachment points. (my money is on Revell)

The nose should be the same length, from the early production Forts (at least the B or C anyway, maybe earlier) up to the last G built.

The tail, of course, is a whole different story.

:cheers:

Nope, there is no error there. If you will notice, he intentionally shortened the nose (the seam is about where the pilots seats are located). The area forward of the bomb bay was stretched with the addition of the bigger tail. Helped a little with the CG and provided space for the top turret.

Dirk.....The half fort is gonna be a D model fort. I've still gotta finish the shark tail to get it ready to go to the main fuselage. And, I did forget to mention that the antenna is actually a whisker from my dog, kind of works out that one of my dogs is black. And know, I did NOT pull it off of her, there are plenty of them around the my floors. I happened to find that one on my bathroom sink, not a clue how it got there.

The length of the nose was reduced by 3/8" to get the shorter nose, not as easy to cut as you would think. Plus, it creates the problem of a differant diameter and taper of the fuselage right at that cut.

RCAF, no need to be quite, that's who one learns.

take a look at my pics, I had an issue with the ball turret plug as well, but it all turned out well in the end.

I made to "stops" out of sheet stock to prevent it from falling into the fuse.

I thought about doing that, but by the time I did it was too late. I got it in fairly well for now at least. I'm gonna wait and see what happens after I try and sand the filler and see how it looks. I'll come up with something to fair it over one way or another.

Got some more work done yesterday, I'm at a stage I hate though, sanding. Not much fun, but I dont hate it, I like seeing the results. Enough talk, more pics.

P1012214.jpg

P1012211.jpg

P1012209.jpg

P1012220.jpg

The ball turret plug was a real pain in the @zz. But I got it to a point I can live with.

More coming.

The D model is a bit of a pain, I'm afraid of the elarged window fill in coming out badly, plus I realised I used the wrong ones from the koster conversion kit, I used the ones meant for the E model conversion which the ball and socket mounts, woops.

P1012204.jpg

P1012208.jpg

Plus the seam from shortening the nose, this is gonna be some work.

P1012202.jpg

Gotta finish ribbing in the tail.

P1012216.jpg

Add the windows, which was a major pain in the @zz!!! 2 hours worth of work and I'm still not happy with them, especially the little bastard towards the front!

P1012223.jpg

Some more work.

P1012217.jpg

Gotta cut out the lower gun tub yet then I can get back to seam work, add the PE parts to the fortress III, cant wait to throw paint!

P1012224.jpg

Edited by B-17 guy

Plus my workbench is caos right now, this is my nightmare

P1012221.jpg

And check these out, my wifes friend was over last weekend, she does beading so we look at each others tools when she's in (minds out of the gutter!). Well, she decided she wanted to unload some tools that either didnt work for her purposes or didnt need anymore, I ended up with a bunch of stuff! The best being these:

P1012218.jpg

If you dont have them, get them! I have similar ones in plastic but those suck next to these. Check out the beading aisle next time you are at michaels or hobby lobby.

Got some more work done over the last 2 days, rainy weather sucks but it does have it's upside, more time at the bench!

The fortress III has'nt got too much attention but I did some done to her.

P1012252.jpg

And the B-17D is actually starting to look like an airplane now:

P1012246.jpg

P1012247.jpg

P1012250.jpg

P1012254.jpg