They are in this pic, just to the left of the light, both facing the camera with no wings.

P1012221.jpg

A better pic of them, plus a pro-modeler G I've been trying to fix up a bit.

Picture030-1.jpg

The G

Picture016-1.jpg

The F

Picture017-1.jpg

Edited by B-17 guy
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know if I asked you this already but how did you fill in your ball turret position? I'm building The Green Hornet and it had all its guns and turrets removed. This is something I'm dreading since I haven't a clue at this point

I don't know if I asked you this already but how did you fill in your ball turret position? I'm building The Green Hornet and it had all its guns and turrets removed. This is something I'm dreading since I haven't a clue at this point

For the Fortress IIIs he and Shawn M both had Paragon conversion sets which had a resin plug for the BT. Still looked like a pain and you could probably fashion your own out of some styrene sheet gently curved over a pop can or something. Still will be a lot of filling and sanding.

Or use Miliput or some kind of epoxie putty?

agreed, no way around filling and sanding that area.

If I were to do it again, I'd create a lip around the BT opening with styrene, then cut the shape out of thin sheet and glue it in starting at the crown of the curve on the belly and wrapping downwards.

Ok, so here's my update, it's gonna be pic heavy but dont get excited. I'm gonna show you my method of engine wiring but I dont have the end result pics yet because, well....they aint done yet, but almost there.

Step 1: Get your self a cheappy hairbrush from the local biglots

P1012393.jpg

Step 2: Pluck out the bristles, grab each group with plyers and yank em out giving you this

P1012395.jpg

Trim them like so

P1012394.jpg

To get piles of this

P1012396.jpg

Now that you have a pile of "wires" trimmed up, you can find something metal and put some CA gel on there like so

P1012397.jpg

Pick up one of your engines which you have already drilled your necessary holes, one wire at a time, put an end into the CA and insert into holes around the crankcase (2 per cylinder) like so.

P1012398.jpg

Keep going till you end up with this many!

P1012391.jpg

I'll post the end results when I get them done, the wife is nagging me at the moment, gotta go.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so I havent shown anything in a bit, but trust me, I've been working. My previous post about engines, there's more now. I'm up to 24 engines now, and I'm detailing each one, but I'm not ready to show pics yet, I will soon though.

The reason I'm up to 24 engines now is because I've included the engines from the 2 previous B-17's I havent yet finished. Plus, with the GB being extended, I've decided to add 2 more forts, I'm not gonna say what they are, but here's a preview.

P1012455.jpg

P1012454.jpg

Decals are printed now, for all the markings, so now I've just gotta start building. I really want to get all the engines done before I touch any other part of the plane(s).

Lol, one of my biggest down falls is being overly ambitious. I do intend to finish them, but's that's easy to say now with the deadline far enough away.

The 2 previous forts are not included in this group build so they dont count. I'm only working on bits and pieces of them maily just extra detail not originally added. I couldnt put all the extra detail on the current engines and have the older ones sitting there looking inferior for no reason. So that's why they have been added to the mix here.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, more progress on my engines.

P1012463.jpg

Each prop governor is 6 seperate pieces, believe it or not.

P1012462.jpg

This what I'm going for

P1012465.jpg

P1012464.jpg

Now do it this many times....

P1012468.jpg

But I've got company when I'm at the bench.

P1012466.jpg

She's hiding....

Edited by B-17 guy
  • 1 month later...

Update, engines, DONE.

All 24 of them.

P8152653.jpg

P8152656.jpg

P8152657.jpg

Too clean, gotta make them dirty. Here's what I use. And roughly how I do it.

P8152649.jpg

P8152651.jpg

P8152654.jpg

Roll it around on the paper towel real quick, bam, dirty engine.

P8152655.jpg

Before and after.

P8152652.jpg