• 1 month later...

I actually did some modeling recently. I've got the 2 extra forts I've added to the build. Whether I actually finish them, well I hope so. Anyway's, the 2 I'm extras are gonna be Fuddy Duddy and Sentimental Journey. Both of which are late G models, so cheyenne tails and.......staggered waist guns!

So here, found this for refference at first, from the B-17 in action book.

P9152671.jpg

So I looked at the kit's right fuselage half, seems to me the panel lines are good out of the box. At first I was gonna use the panel line that's in front of wind deflector.

P9152674.jpg

To get this:

P9152672.jpg

Doesnt look too bad.

P9152673.jpg

But I'm not happy with it, so I looked through a few more books and figured out that it needed to be moved forward a bit. So I went back and looked at the kit peice and moved it up. There is a panel line on the forward most part of the vertical fin that looked correct from the pics. It's directly in front of the forward most position light. See here.

P9152677.jpg

So, finally deciding that was the final spot for the window, I had one more check to male sure it was right. Tell me what you guys think.

P9152675.jpg

P9152676.jpg

Holes will be drilled tonight, and hopefully the old holes will get faired over.

Step 1 cut new hole

step 2 use piece in step one to fill old hole!! :woot.gif:

step 3 apply glue

step 4 apply putty

step 5 ask yourself if it was worth the trouble

I don't think it's going to be quite that simple. What with the exterior and interior detail that will need to be redone.

Plus I think the curvature of the cut panel would be slightly off from the old opening since it's a little further back in the taper of the fuselage.

I don't think it's going to be quite that simple. What with the exterior and interior detail that will need to be redone.

Plus I think the curvature of the cut panel would be slightly off from the old opening since it's a little further back in the taper of the fuselage.

Im sure that nothing a little sanding can take care of but it was just a guess/idea/suggestion

So I was looking one of my B-17 books today and got an idea on how to fill the old window. In a way boeing gave me the answer. I had the new windows basically finished, just gotta fine tune them to take the new windows.

Anyways, here's where I am at the moment.

P9212682.jpg

P9212684.jpg

Now back to the idea. Like I said, boeing gave me the idea. I seen a pic of an F model that had the waist guns stowed, and had the window covering the hole....LIGHT BULB!!!!!!! Revell has parts for this in the F kit box! I dipped into my bag of tricks and got this.

P9212685.jpg

Crap! Big difference in size there! So I grab a 3rd one, choppy chop and BAM!

P9212686.jpg

So now just to mount them, fill, sand, fill,sand etc...

Now there is a size difference, and the revell windows need to sit just right and there is also a small area to glue the window to the fuselage. I'm gonna put some putty on the edges (sides) of the window for the windows to sit on. More updates soon. Crappy cleveland weather brings more bench time.

Edited by B-17 guy

Looking forward to seeing more. I can attest to the crappy Cleveland weather, I drove through there a ffew hours ago, didn't rain till we hit Ohio, add on to that the huge accident blocking the turnpike, we didn't get to Detroit until 730!!!!

Welcome to OH.

:rofl:

Welcome and to and goodbye from OH, I was there long enough to get to Metro Detroit, and the weather is typical MI, wait an hour, it'll change. Not meaning to Threadjack B-17guy, but I did see a B-17 flying a few hours ago on our way back from Frankenmuth, it was Yankee Lady from the Willow Run, then we saw it an hour or so later cirling over Briarwood Mall, to dark to get a good picture. She's a late G for those that haven't seen her, Cheyenne Tail, staggered waist, I was in middle school when they were rebuilding her, used to see her fly over my house all the time. All for now, I promise updates when I get back to VA.

Simple update. Cut new hole for the staggered waist, so, gotta fill in the old one. I used the waist windows form the revell F kit, they didnt fit well so needed to use a total of 3 for 2 holes. That's step one.

P9212686.jpg

Fill and sand, was suprisingly easy. Add some silver paint to the backside as well.

P9272688.jpg

Now, a trick most modelers use when filling/sanding seams is to use silver paint to check if it's even. My problem with that is the fact that if it's not right, filler over paint is no good. Solution? This.

P9272691.jpg

Tada! Look's good enough to me! But, if I didnt like it I could rip off the foil tape and try again.

P9272689.jpg

P9272690.jpg

Also look's like a pretty damn good NMF to me. I gotta rip off that piece and add a panel line there though, so that's gonna be a redo there.

Great job so far, I like the foil tape idea. I use the nail polish remove techniqe to avoid to much sanding, and check my progress with a silver sharpie, the plus to that is that the npr takes off the sharpie so its like a clean slate, but your idea is fantastic too, I amy try it on my next LT-6G :) PS. Super Bowl prediction Lions 27-Bills 17:)

Hooorrayyy for progress!

I was told by the museum I've got another 48th G kit sitting there waiting for me to build. Have to make a run down there to pick it up. Hopefully this week.

Might have to hit you up for some more custom decals again.

where did you get a 1/48th D????????????????????? Is that part of a vac kit, I mean the nose section looks like the RoG F?

I the revell F kit, the fuselage is cut just behind the radio room and the Koster vac-form conversion kit makes up B-17D part of it. The nose was also shortened by having 3/8" removed from the cockpit area.

The D conversion is available from Bill Koster, even check ebay, I've seen them there.

wkoster2@comcast.net