I the revell F kit, the fuselage is cut just behind the radio room and the Koster vac-form conversion kit makes up B-17D part of it. The nose was also shortened by having 3/8" removed from the cockpit area.

The D conversion is available from Bill Koster, even check ebay, I've seen them there.

wkoster2@comcast.net

I recognized that RoG front half, just had no idea there was a D out there. I really wish someone would come out with some early 1/48th forts, B/C/D, or maybe a 299 (wishful thinking) Great job Hamm, I think we can all agree (mostly) the Fort is one of the three most beautful aircraft ever made, not to mention its other accolades:)

• 1 month later...

I'm still working, cant show anything though for now. Picked up a nasty virus on saturday that I gotta figure out. My desktop icons are gone, start menu is blank, pics are gone etc... I had to back door my way online through the appearently not so good antivirus (AVG).

Anyways, all 4 of my fuselages are together now so I'm working on seams, yay :bandhead2:

I'm pretty much at he point where all my fuselages are about even, so hopefully paint soon.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've got the top colors on the Fortress III, waiting to do the black till either sunday, or tonight if I can get the B-17D done tonight. The D model had the neutral gray thrown on last week, the OD is going on now, I'm between coats. Both of them were base painted silver, and I'm trying salt weathering for the first time, with airbrushing, not happy so far.

PB262721.jpg

PB262722.jpg

RAF bomber cammo and pre-shading on the swoose's wings.

PC012727.jpg

PC012725.jpg

PC012726.jpg

First coat of OD.

PC022729.jpg

Hopefully I can get the black onto the fortress III tonight.

The salt thing ****** me off because I had did it, set it the planes with salt to dry at the bench. The next day the wife had to go out while I was at school so she closed all the doors in the house to keep the dogs out. Well the temperature dropped in my room and with the door being closed, and when it was opened later to warm it back up, the salt turned to water droplets, leaving marks in the paint. It's really noticable here:

PC012727.jpg

That's why the preshading looks spotty. Not cool.

:worship: B-17 Guy,

WOW !!! Just waded thru this tremendous build and you are working like a man possessed..

EXEMEPKARY work so far and I think it is just SUPERB..The engines et al are outta this world ..WOW !!! :worship::worship::worship:

Looks impressive and can't wait for the end result... :salute:

ok, pics are up so here goes the update.

PC032735.jpg

Color is done. The dark earth didnt come out so good, but not too bad

PC032737.jpg

PC032736.jpg

The black came out suprisingly well.

The D model, I'm not happy with the salt chipping at all, but the pre-shading came out pretty good.

PC032733.jpg

PC032732.jpg

PC032730.jpg

PC032731.jpg

Went on to decals. I ended up sanding the paint on the wings of the D model, and the dark earth on the fort III. I like that, got rid of some of the crap on the D and smoothed the III's dark earth a bit.

PC052741.jpg

PC052739.jpg

PC052740.jpg

The decals for the fort III were just ok, the fuselage roundel's and the fin flashes are 3 pieces each, which is a pain in the azz to line up then keep lined up while blotting excess water and future. I dont like the fuselage codes, they are gonna silver up and I cant do too much about it. Plus the red is really transparent, they look alot better in the pics than they do in person. Because the 3 piece decals took so long last night, I only got the port side done. I'm seriously considering using the left side decals to make stencils and paint them on both sides. Dont have to worry about silvering then!

PC052745.jpg

PC052742.jpg

Started weathering a bit on the nose. Tell me what you guys think.

PC052743.jpg

PC052744.jpg

I love the way the engines look in the cowels!

PC032738.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, time for the secong to last update on here before the end. I hated the way the decals for the squadron code and aircraft letter came out.

PC052742.jpg

So I decided to pull off the decals and paint them on instead. Pulling off the decals proved harder than I thought, then I had to match a paint color. Suprisingly, humbrol doesnt have a roundel red, so I picked up this:

PC292752.jpg

Pretty close match I'd say:

PC292753.jpg

When I put the squad decals on I only did the left side, so I still had the right side decals left. To make the stencil/mask I copied the decals onto paper. Scotch taped them down to the wide blue painters tape and cut them out with a new #11.

PC292748.jpg

PC292749.jpg

I didnt feel like thinning paint for the airbrush so I just brushed the letters, 2 coats. After I take the mask's off I'm gonna sand the letters a little to smoothe them a bit. Make them look a bit more uniform. I'll have pics up tommorrow of that.

P1012755.jpg

P1012756.jpg

P1012760.jpg