R6D-1 Later known as the C-118

Hello all,

I'm searching for any pictures of R6D-1'a from the 50's. In particular ones with a big yellow MATS marking. I have a build I'm doing for the base museum in this scheme. I'll be using a 1/72 Heller DC-6B Super-Cloudmaster kit for the conversion.

I know very little about C-118B's or even DC-6's However I do know they were used untill 1981! I can find lots of pics of the gray and white later scheme.

Any help with this conversion would be greatly appreciated. The museum provided me with one black and white photo. In the pic she looked to be bare metal. The curator said the pic was taken in the early 50's to late 40's.

Thanks in advance....

I'm off to search Google some more!

Hello all,

I'm searching for any pictures of R6D-1'a from the 50's. In particular ones with a big yellow MATS marking.

Wasn't the R6D-1 designation a Navy thing while MATS was an USAF outfit..?

Cheers,

Andre

Andre,

At one point, everybody contributed equipment to MATS. I dont have particulars but the Navy did have MATS blazened on a number of AC, R6Ds, R4Ds, Etc. I don't think the Navy went to the ball with all smiles as they had to play by MATS's rules.

Linky

Regards

Steve

Edited by Rotorhead
There's couple of C-118 shots here. I think the big yellow MATS markings and the required Orange/Red markings of the 50's transports had a tough time co-existing

Neil's Nostalgia

Thanks.

Those are excellent references for the paint job we decided on. I think the MATS logo will be left off this bird after a discussion with the museum curator.

Curt

Wasn't the R6D-1 designation a Navy thing while MATS was an USAF outfit..?

Cheers,

Andre

In the cast of these planes, they were "loaned" to the USAF for some time. I have seen a mix of USAF and Navy markings as they transitioned back to Navy service. I have seen the yellow MATS flash with NATS on it too! It's hard to find consistant paint references!

Curt

Curt,

The Navy loaned the Planes Plus crews to MATS as per the USAF's request. Exactly what the arrangement was, I don't know, I'd have to research that. For instance, the Belin airlift required massive amounts of aircraft and everyone provided equipment and crews, all under USAF control. The Planes and crews went TAD to the USAF.

Regards

Steve

Curt,

Here is a R6D-1, no data. I shot a photo of a photo here. It's a Navy MATS for ya.

PICT0297.jpg

Then here is a NEW delivery. When and where? No idea. BMF for ya! Talk about flashy markings.

PICT0299.jpg

Found this writeup on Colors for C-118B VR-3 Moffett Field early 50s.

"R6D-1(C-118B) BuNo.131580 / VR-3 MATS Continental Division

At that time two VR squadrons under MATS were flying R6D-1, VR-3 from NAS MOFFETT FIELD, California and VR-6 from McGUIRE AFB in New Jersey. Although based in the West Coast, VR-3 was belong the MATS Continental Division, but routinely flew trans-Pacific route and landed HANEDA AB. Soon after this photography, on July 16, 1957, VR-3 was relocated to McGUIRE AFB, thus MATS R6D-1 squadrons were concentrated on the East Coast. Last four digits of Bureau Number is repeated in Insignia Blue over the Orange Yellow trimmed by Insignia Blue bracket on the nose gear doors and forehead, just above the wind shield. Insignia Blue band with Orange Yellow letters of CONTINENTAL is trimmed by Orange Yellow. Trim line separating white roof and natural metal finished fuselage might be Insignia Blue and not Black. Note propeller spinners were not installed yet."

That might help.

Regards

Steve

Edited by Rotorhead
  • 1 year later...