A-7E VA-146 "Blue diamonds"

I completed this a few months ago, but ran into a snag when I destroyed the markings for one side of the vertical stab. I had the decals for the other side that didn't get ruined, so I made stencils using the surviving decals. The chevron and diamonds are paint on both sides. Live and learn I guess. Overall it turned out ok. Looking around ARC and other modeling sites, I haven't found a 1/48 SLUFF finished with these markings.

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

Edited by sting

:thumbsup::rolleyes: Great job,I love it! I'm having flashbacks from 31 years ago.

I transferred into the Blue Diamonds about a month before the scheme was changed to this. The CO allowed everyone to make submissions and this won. Of the three squadrons I was in this was my favorite overall paint job with VA-153 Blue Tail Flies my fav CAG bird which I am working on now.

That's the scheme I've been planning on using for my next build. What paint did you use for the tail?

I pulled out my cruise book to take a look and your markings are very accurate.

Again... Great Job!!!!!!!!!

:banana::yahoo: Great job,I love it! I'm having flashbacks from 31 years ago.

I transferred into the Blue Diamonds about a month before the scheme was changed to this. The CO allowed everyone to make submissions and this won. Of the three squadrons I was in this was my favorite overall paint job with VA-153 Blue Tail Flies my fav CAG bird which I am working on now.

That's the scheme I've been planning on using for my next build. What paint did you use for the tail?

I pulled out my cruise book to take a look and your markings are very accurate.

Again... Great Job!!!!!!!!!

Billabob, I used Kustom Kolors royal blue enamel. It appears Kustom Colors didn't sell very well here in the US and it's hard to find now. If you can find it, I recommend you try it. I used Kustom Kolors paint reducer, but lacquer thinner will work too. I found my local Walmart was selling-off all it's stock of Kustom Kolors paints at half price, so I bought all they had. The paint went on beautifully. The decals are from Superscale and the royal blue was a perfect match. I'll be building a VA-153 A-4C and A-7A soon and will probably use the same paint, but toned down. HTH!

Kevin

I'll be building a VA-153 A-4C and A-7A soon and will probably use the same paint, but toned down. HTH!

Kevin

I've seen photos of the A-4s and A-7s of 153 in earlier years and it seems to be a lighter blue. When I was with them they were darker. I ended mixing MM Blue Angel Blue and True Blue. My tail color matches my photos from 1976/77. I'll post photos when I'm done.