Hi all!

I´m currently working on a HH-2D (or is a "C"? I´m not too sure). This is the progress so far:

IMG_0851.jpg

I have cut away the cabin slide door (well, it wasn´t a door, but will look like one when I´m done) on the left side. I´m afraid I cut the opening a bit too big, it´s not square as it should be.

IMG_0850.jpg

On the right side I extended the small window. I do have some pictures that show the HH-2 with a M-60 mounted in that window, but I doubt the usefulness of that mount: s soon as you open up the main slide door, it will slide backwards and block the firing position - in a situation, where you propably need the firepower!

So I will mount my M-60 on the right side in the forward opeing. This woul still mean that the gun will be in the way when doing winch-ops, but well... Overall I have the feeling the design is not that well suited for a CSAR-bird.

And as last current picture: The interior:

IMG_0852.jpg

HAJO

I´m currently working on a HH-2D (or is a "C"? I´m not too sure).

Depends on the time frame whether it would be C or a D. The CSAR aircraft in Vietnam would have been HH-2Cs, being replaced with HH-2Ds later. According to the official document detailing aircraft designations, the HH-2Ds should be easy to spot from their dual wheels and 4-bladed tail rotor.

I wish I could help more with the weapons fit, but the H-2 series is one I have found little clear information on. Pictures from the Vietnam-era do show HH-2Cs with door guns, rather than at the window. I would imagine that a mount at the window would simply preclude using that door or alternately have an internal stowed position (such as many of the mounts on the H-3 series).

Some progress. It´s one of these strange tasks where you think it will be hard and may take forever, and you don´t dare to start it at all.

Then you grab your cutter, some plastic and "just do it", and it´s done within minutes and you´re simply relieved and satisfied.

That´s what happened here when I scratched the gunner (from a ground crew figure of Preiser) and added an arm to the pilot. Now he´s perfectly fitting with the stick.

IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

HAJO

We´re moving on!

Added another armor plate for the gunner and of course the crew has now taken a seat:

IMG_0858.jpg

The other side, I made a slide-door using a piece of paper.

IMG_0857.jpg

The Co-pilot got a map to navigate around the known SAM-sites and FLAK-nests.

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0860.jpg

This is where the other gunner will have his place:

IMG_0863.jpg

And here is the other gunner, I used another Preiser-figure of the modern Luftwaffe ground crew set. The M60 is of Roco Minitanks, although in 1/87 scale, it fits perfect in 1/72, so it´s propably to big for the intended use with 1/87 models...

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg

HAJO

Depends on the time frame whether it would be C or a D. The CSAR aircraft in Vietnam would have been HH-2Cs, being replaced with HH-2Ds later. According to the official document detailing aircraft designations, the HH-2Ds should be easy to spot from their dual wheels and 4-bladed tail rotor.

I wish I could help more with the weapons fit, but the H-2 series is one I have found little clear information on. Pictures from the Vietnam-era do show HH-2Cs with door guns, rather than at the window. I would imagine that a mount at the window would simply preclude using that door or alternately have an internal stowed position (such as many of the mounts on the H-3 series).

HH-2Ds arrived off the coast of Vietnam in 1971. The -2C and -2D both had provision for the TAT-102 chin turret, but most photos I've seen of them have had the turret faired over. There was an incident where a -2D was coming in to land on a destroyer and when the pilot safed the weapons system, the minigun unloaded all of its remaining ammunition. Not a good thing.

The visual difference between the HH-2C and HH-2D is the tail rotor. Other than that, the C model has twinned main wheels as well. When they added the second engine in the C model, they beefed up the landing gear to accomodate the additional weight.

Jon

HH-2Ds arrived off the coast of Vietnam in 1971. The -2C and -2D both had provision for the TAT-102 chin turret, but most photos I've seen of them have had the turret faired over. There was an incident where a -2D was coming in to land on a destroyer and when the pilot safed the weapons system, the minigun unloaded all of its remaining ammunition. Not a good thing.

It seems that Emerson's various offerings were too fragile and complicated for the Vietnam environment. I didn't know the HH-2D also had the provisions for the TAT-102K. Thanks for that info.

The visual difference between the HH-2C and HH-2D is the tail rotor. Other than that, the C model has twinned main wheels as well. When they added the second engine in the C model, they beefed up the landing gear to accomodate the additional weight.

Jon

This picture shows a UH-2C with single wheeled landing gear. It would suggest it was the weight of the armor and weapons on the HH-2C necessitated the dual wheels as can be seen in the pictures of the HH-2Cs here. This was then carried over to the H-2D variants.

It seems that Emerson's various offerings were too fragile and complicated for the Vietnam environment. I didn't know the HH-2D also had the provisions for the TAT-102K. Thanks for that info.

This picture shows a UH-2C with single wheeled landing gear. It would suggest it was the weight of the armor and weapons on the HH-2C necessitated the dual wheels as can be seen in the pictures of the HH-2Cs here. This was then carried over to the H-2D variants.

Ah, yes! I forgot about that pic (got it in my HH-2 file too!). If I remember correctly, that particular bird was on HC-1's first combat deployment with the HH-2C. The three propeller symbols on the door were combat rescues.

Jon

I see, thanks. However, one small problem the choice of machine gun poses for your build is that the gun is actually a Mk. 43 Mod 1, which is a modern special operations modification of the M60, and was not fielded until the 1990s. But that's your choice. Just pointing that out.

I see, thanks. However, one small problem the choice of machine gun poses for your build is that the gun is actually a Mk. 43 Mod 1, which is a modern special operations modification of the M60, and was not fielded until the 1990s. But that's your choice. Just pointing that out.

It actually looks very much like a standard M60 without the bipod. You could probably just add some putty over the barrel on top and it would be fine. I also think that "grip" is actually a piece of sprue still be to cut off. It'd be way too far back to be the vertical forward grip on the E3 or E4/Mk 43 either way.

Edited by thatguy96

It might be a piece of sprue, but the Mk. 43 Mod 1 does not have an integral forward grip like the M60E3, E4, and Mk. 43 Mod 0. The grip has been replaced by a rail interface system. But as I said, if Hajo wishes to modify it, he can. It's not that big a deal. I was just pointing out the fact. It does look similar, though. I just noticed it in passing due to the "forward grip."

That´s indeed a piece of sprue, it´s the part that usually works a pin mountle for the MG. I kept it to use it as "mount" in the door as well.

I made a short barreled M60 with forward grip once as armament for my SEAL-team:

http://www.modellversium.de/galerie/14-sch...t-eigenbau.html

I´d love to post some better pictures of the boat, but it´s at my parents place. Otherwise I´d be able to show you that the M60 used in the HH-2 still is a bit longer than a "Shorty M60".

HAJO

Sorry, I owe you an update and pictures of the just finished model.

Here is the latest picture while still in progress:

IMG_0881.jpg

The chin-turret is from a Matchbox Cobra, the minigun will be coming from an Italeri HH-53-kit.

And the finished model, I had to change the aft gear position, it´s sitting more aft than at the usual SH-2F.

IMG_0906.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0907.jpg

And some details:

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

HAJO