Ju 87C for Graf Zeppelin.

I have recently bought Hasegawas limited Ju 87C 'Graf Zeppelin', a naval stuka. The kit includes resin parts to SHORTEn the wingtips, but does not mention how to 'fold' the wingtips as the Ju 87C could do. Thats relatively easy, cutting the wings where they bend at the gull wing, but it;ll look bad with just a bare hole, and filler isnt going to work. Any tips on how to add that plate with holes on it (cross section of wing, if you kno what i mean)?

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/ju87c.html

^^Thats what I mean.

On the other hand..... (there were floaties in the fusilage so the plane can float for up to 3 days) but are there any extra things EXCLUSIVE to the Ju 87C that is found in the cockpit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

:D, G'day DAKfreak,

You have a good photo to work from so why not just make the plates from sheet styrene and fit them inside the wings at the appropriate places. I often think we have become too dependant on PE parts. I'm working on a Heller Yak-3 at the moment (as well as an L-39). The Yak was started some years ago and is now missing its instrument panel. I had a look on the net and found that Airwaves make a PE set for the Yak-3 but it is too expensive to buy just for the IP. So I'll be using a skill I learned many years ago, making IPs from sheet styrene. Steel tube details on the real aircraft can be made from heat stretched sprue, such as fuselage structural tubing visible in the cockpit areas of many aircraft.

:banana:,

Ross.

I can only make the unhelpful comment that there must be a lever (or some kind of actuation) for the arrester hook, but I don't know where it is.

However, I'm a little surprised by your comment about shortening the wings. As far as I know, the C had the same wings as the B. I don't know the kit you mention, but Hasegawa did do a carrier version of the D, and the D came with two different wing sizes.

Yes.... the D did come with different sizes, but the C also in fact DID have a shortened wingspan so the size could be accomodated for the Aircraft carrier. The kit is this:

http://www.modelsforsale.com/catalog/produ...le-1/48-JT09899

I can only make the unhelpful comment that there must be a lever (or some kind of actuation) for the arrester hook, but I don't know where it is.

However, I'm a little surprised by your comment about shortening the wings. As far as I know, the C had the same wings as the B. I don't know the kit you mention, but Hasegawa did do a carrier version of the D, and the D came with two different wing sizes.

You bring up an excellent idea :lol: plus its available on line for $2-3 Cutting them to the wingshape would be a challenge though, but hey, its a plastic model! And you're absolutely right; many modellers can't live without PE or resin aftermarket kits.

Instrument panels out of sheet styrene! That sounds really cool, you know all the controlls and stuffs? Good luck with the model and be sure to post pics ;)

:D, G'day DAKfreak,

You have a good photo to work from so why not just make the plates from sheet styrene and fit them inside the wings at the appropriate places. I often think we have become too dependant on PE parts. I'm working on a Heller Yak-3 at the moment (as well as an L-39). The Yak was started some years ago and is now missing its instrument panel. I had a look on the net and found that Airwaves make a PE set for the Yak-3 but it is too expensive to buy just for the IP. So I'll be using a skill I learned many years ago, making IPs from sheet styrene. Steel tube details on the real aircraft can be made from heat stretched sprue, such as fuselage structural tubing visible in the cockpit areas of many aircraft.

:),

Ross.

There's a thread on LEMB about the Ju87C, which may contain something useful. What I'd forgotten is that five years ago I asked the same question there about shortened wings and didn't get an answer - so I've tried again.

Edited by agboak

The Squadron "In Action" book has a short section on the "C" and states the wings were clipped to 43 feet 3inches (from 45 feet 3 inches). The "production" Ju87C-1 was based on the B-2 according to this reference. There is a picture of what they claim to be the prototype, which appears to be modified from a B-1. What is interesting about this machine is that it was in natural metal with the red, white and black swastika banner on the tail. Now THAT would be an interesting and unique build!!

The Squadron "In Action" book has a short section on the "C" and states the wings were clipped to 43 feet 3inches (from 45 feet 3 inches). The "production" Ju87C-1 was based on the B-2 according to this reference. There is a picture of what they claim to be the prototype, which appears to be modified from a B-1. What is interesting about this machine is that it was in natural metal with the red, white and black swastika banner on the tail. Now THAT would be an interesting and unique build!!

That's it right there, except for it being based on the B-2 - sorry for taking so long to reply. Now I'm not calling myself a Stuka expert in any form, I just had a lot of good reference information at hand - here's something I was working on that I dearly need to finish one of these days: Stuka building information

Ju 87 C

(AKA Ju 87 Tr (for Tragerflugzeug - or carrier-borne aircraft)).

Two carrier-borne Stukas were created (not converted) from scratch at the same time as the Ju 87B prototype came out, and undertook trials in 1937. They were V10 (W.Nr. 4928) initially carrying civil registration D-IHFH and later wearing TK+HD. The second - V11 (W.Nr. 4929), civil registration D-ILGM, later TV+OV. V10 did not have folding wings, but V11 was fully navalized with folding wings and full navel equipment. After testing 10 Ju 87C-1's were ordered to be produced, to be followed by another 120 in the spring of 1940.

Due to issues with testing and availability, only 5 Ju 87C-1's were produced and tested, retested, and sent for trials until 1943. Once the Graf Zeppelin program was scrapped, the remaining Ju 87C-1's (4 of them) were converted back to the B model.

There's other little information in there, but I hope this helps out a little bit.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by Kostucha

You know what... I just made a rash decision - The rebuild of the Stuka in 1/24 I'm doing may very well end up being a Ju 87 V11 (as TV+OV).

If building the Naval Version you've got three general choicses:

A. Ju 87 V10 (later designated C-1)

B. Ju 87 V11 (later designated C-0, Extensively tested, over 900 arrester hook landings, showing the hook was fairly weak and needed to be modified/replaced)

C. Ju 87C-1 (5 of them)

What it means with the Naval Equiment is the following:

-Naval Survival Kit (as opposed to the standard kit, or desert survival kit), inlcuding two seat rubber dinghy with signal ammunition and emergency ammunition

-Modification to the fuel system involving a "Quick Dump System"

-Inflatable 750 Litre (200 US Gallon) bags under the wings and 2 500 Litre (130 US Gallon) in the fuselage (in dead waters yes, she could stay up for up to 3 days - but this system was designed primarily to allow the crew ample time to get out, pull out the survival gear and get set up in a ditching in typical sea waters (modern say Sea State 4 on the Beaufort scale), they were determined to be needed as this bird (along with the other early Stukas) were rediculously nose heavy, with built in provisions to deflate the bladders as needed to scuttle the bird if needed.

-Arrestor hook

-Charges in the MLG to blow off the legs for ditching

As a side note, none of the C's survived the war.

Hope this helps.

Forgot to mention - they had the earlier Jumo 211A engine (with the thin metal props), rather than the 211D found on the B-2's (with the wooden paddle props).

Edited by Kostucha