Gunze H20 Flat Clear

Hi sorry, this question has probably been discussed before - however, I have been having issues spraying my final flat clear coat. What is happening is that when I spray the coat (Gunze), little white spots are appearing. I have to brush them out to blend them into the paint. The end result is ok, but I am wondering what is the cause. Am I not mixing it correctly?? My Mix is normally 60/40 (mixed with Tamiya thinner)I spray over future if that that helps in your diagnosis :thumbsup:

Tamiya thinner is not the best for any Gunze paint.

Well, this depends on which Tamiya thinner and which Gunze paint line we are talking about. Tamiya acrylics thinner (X-20A) is actually perfectly suited for Gunze acrylic colors (called something like Aqueous Hobby Color - they keep changing the name, so I'm not really sure if that's the most recent one, but Aqueous should be in it). Gunze "Mr. Color Thinner" is best for the Mr. Color enamel colors or some of the clear coats - not to be confused with the Product "Hobby Color Thinner", which is the acrylic thinner from Gunze (also it does not have Aqueos in it's name) and quite similar in composition to the Tamiya acrylic thinner. If you can't see any logic in the Gunze product names, neither can I.

Regards

frequent_flyer

If you can't see any logic in the Gunze product names, neither can I.

Regards

frequent_flyer

But it's pretty simple.

Name of the range: Mr Hobby Aqueous Hobby Color. (the acrylic range)

Name of the thinner: Hobby Color thinner.

Name of the range: Mr Hobby Mr Color (the lacquer range)

Name of the thinner: Mr Color thinner.

But it's pretty simple.

That said I would like to confirm I use Mr. Colour thinner to thin all paint from Mr Hobby Aqueous Hobby Color. (the acrylic range) with excellent results and it also works well with Tamiya acrilics.

Hi sorry, this question has probably been discussed before - however, I have been having issues spraying my final flat clear coat. What is happening is that when I spray the coat (Gunze), little white spots are appearing. I have to brush them out to blend them into the paint. The end result is ok, but I am wondering what is the cause. Am I not mixing it correctly?? My Mix is normally 60/40 (mixed with Tamiya thinner)I spray over future if that that helps in your diagnosis :thumbsup:

It also sounds like your bottle may be a bit old, and/or possibly need to be stirred and shaken more. The little white spots are bits of talc (flattening agent), and will appear regardless of what thinner you use. If the bottle sits for a period of time, the talc will settle to the bottom, and if you don't stir it properly, the top of the bottle will give a satin finish, and the crud on the bottom will give you an uneven flat finish with little white spots.

For the record, I use either Tamiya acryl thinner, but most often el cheapo drug store rubbing alcohol to thin my Gunze acrylics, and never had any issues.

That said I would like to confirm I use Mr. Colour thinner to thin all paint from Mr Hobby Aqueous Hobby Color. (the acrylic range) with excellent results and it also works well with Tamiya acrilics.

It improves paint flow, shine, surface state and finition.

Most Japanese who used Tamiya acrylics (relatively few :thumbsup: ) do the same.

It also sounds like your bottle may be a bit old, and/or possibly need to be stirred and shaken more. The little white spots are bits of talc (flattening agent), and will appear regardless of what thinner you use. If the bottle sits for a period of time, the talc will settle to the bottom, and if you don't stir it properly, the top of the bottle will give a satin finish, and the crud on the bottom will give you an uneven flat finish with little white spots.

For the record, I use either Tamiya acryl thinner, but most often el cheapo drug store rubbing alcohol to thin my Gunze acrylics, and never had any issues.

Thanks that makes sense as the bottle I was old and I have not been stirring before tipping into my airbrush cup. I have to flat coat an F-4 cockpit today so I will use my new bottle and give it a good stir :thumbsup:

If you put it that way, it really looks simple :worship: but to the unitiated eye it appears like a random sprinkling of the words "Mr", "Hobby" and "Color". Certainly not the way to avoid confusion among your customers.

Regards

frequent_flyer