Computer problems......machine runs slow

So my computer has almost ground to a halt. It's particular bad when surfing.

I've been working long hours recently on the new site (some days I'll work 21 hours straight) and it's almost like the machine is clogged up as it slowly started running slower and slower each week.

I've scanned it with SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes which only showed up the usual cookies but no viruses

I cleared out all Temp Internet files and the recycle bin.

I've moved any excess data off the C Drive (there wasn't much) and then defraged the C Drive.

One odd thing is there is 35 gigs of data in hidden folder in the Documents and settings/Owner folder.

This is a fairly new custom built machine with plenty of RAM and a fast chip, 2 hard drives etc etc.

Any ideas?

Try running CCleaner from filehippo, and see how much extra junk is removed.

How about running hijackthis ? What is in the startup folder?

See what is loading at startup - Start run / msconfig

What OS?

Is your Internet wireless or wired to the modem? Is the Internet shared? Do you have wireless? Perhaps someone has hacked that?

Dave T

Edited by taylorde
Try running CCleaner from filehippo, and see how much extra junk is removed.

How about running hijackthis ? What is in the startup folder?

See what is loading at startup - Start run / msconfig

What OS?

Is your Internet wireless or wired to the modem? Is the Internet shared? Do you have wireless? Perhaps someone has hacked that?

Dave T

OS is XP.....computer is wired to modem. My wifes seldom used computer is surfing on the same modem very quickly......so it appears to be an issue with my machine.

I'll try running CCleaner. Not sure what is running during Start-up....how do I find out?

Not sure what is running during Start-up....how do I find out?

Start -> Run -> Regedit

On the left open up the key (folder)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Hit File/Export and save a copy somewhere as a backup. Now start deleting stuff you don't recognize :D

Reboot the machine and if still slows down it's a service (background process) that may be sucking

up CPU

Bring up task manager and sort by CPU...what's the name of the process that is using the most CPU?

If you get a permission-denied message when you try to kill the process (right-click / end process)

it's running as a service. These you can rip out of the registry manually by going into regedit as above and

looking under the series of folders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services

Each folder represents a service..find the one that has the program you want to delete and

remove the folder...reboot and the proces should be gone....if it hasn't got some other

piece that's re-inserting the service :rolleyes:

Your computer probably needs to be defragged. Go to start menue, go to PROGRAMS, then ACCESSORIES, then SYSTEM TOOLS, then CLICK on DISC CLEANUP, Once you have done disc clean up go back to PROGRAMS, ACCESSORIES, SYSTEM TOOLS, then CLICK on DISC DEFRAGMENTER.

The defragmenting window will come up and select defrag computer, it will anylize at the same time. MAny people don't realize that when you surf the net, down;load stuff on your computer, then delete stuff, your files get mixed up on your computer nad your free space is scattered out all over.

If you are constantly surfing the net, downloading stuff all the time, deleting stuff as well, you need to defrag your computer at least every other month. Defragging compresses all your files together and your computer will run faster now because your files are compressed and you have more free space.

Once you do this, check to see, your computer should be running faster. Also I have found, on facebook, (which I DO NOT use anymore), if you ARE AN ONLINE GAMER, with Zynga or Mafia Wars, etc. I have gotten numerous Torjan Horse viruses that not only went to my C drive, but also my recovery D drive on my computer and the hacker uses this trojan to gain access to your user name and password as well as your memory on your computer, I found that by recieving gifts, opening messages, etc, from players, or messages from people you don't even know, via Zynga, or facebook, the trojan CONSTANTLY came from there, and the ONLY ANTI-VIRUS that I found to get rid of it was AVG. I did a search for the trojan and found it's origin came from Facebook, via Zynga, hense the reason I don't use either anymore.

If you are a constant online gamer, I would recommend you get AVG and run a scan and you will KNOW if any viruses are on your computer. AVG is the one that the U.S. government uses, and it detects everything that others don't. I had friends who had gotten the same virus I got, but their anti viruses didn't detect it and their computer had quit working. They got AVG after I told them to, they got the computer back up, ran the scan and it found over 100 trojans on their computer.

I run my AVG scan 3 times a week, just to be safe.

Steve,

I'd advise against doing a Regedit unless you have some experience sorting things out, it's easy to kill a process you need but hard to put it back sometimes.

One you run Spybot post the list here and I can take a look at it or PM it to me.

Ken

Start -> Run -> Regedit

On the left open up the key (folder)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Hit File/Export and save a copy somewhere as a backup. Now start deleting stuff you don't recognize :rolleyes:

Reboot the machine and if still slows down it's a service (background process) that may be sucking

up CPU

Bring up task manager and sort by CPU...what's the name of the process that is using the most CPU?

If you get a permission-denied message when you try to kill the process (right-click / end process)

it's running as a service. These you can rip out of the registry manually by going into regedit as above and

looking under the series of folders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services

Each folder represents a service..find the one that has the program you want to delete and

remove the folder...reboot and the proces should be gone....if it hasn't got some other

piece that's re-inserting the service :worship:

I don't recognise any of this stuff.........editing the registry is over my skill set. I know my limitations. :D

dont need regedit, there a front end for it, msconfig in the run box will open it up, uncheck those items you dont know.

Same with the services snap-in

enter services.msc into the run command box it will open up the services snap-in gui window.

run Spybot and delete all those items it flags in red.

As to registry editing I wouldnt do it, but if you want to play get JV16 Power Tools, if you make a mess it will tell you your going to before you start

I found this at this website:

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=104077

If its a nasty it wouldn't be helping anything.

Just looked at spybots updates, that was enetered in Sept 09. under the PUPS ((Potentially Unwanted Program)

Quote:

2009-09-30

Adware

+ BaiduBar

Malware

++ Fraud.GreenAV + Fraud.PersonalGuard2009 ++ Fraud.SaveArmor ++ Fraud.SecurityFighter + Fraud.WindowsProtectionSuite + Virantix ++ Win32.Agent.rsp ++ Win32.Agent.ssr + Win32.FraudLoad + Win32.FraudLoad.edt ++ Win32.Mastak

PUPS

++ QiwangC.RegistryEasy

Trojan

+ Virtumonde.sci + Virtumonde.sdn ++ Win32.Agent.36 ++ Win32.Agent.avp ++ Win32.AutoIt.gp + Win32.Fakealert.ttam + Win32.Games.ubha ++ Win32.OnLineGames.uhbb ++ Win32.OnLineGames.ulja ++ Win32.rbot.cs + Win32.TDSS.ntf + Win32.TDSS.reg + Win32.TDSS.rtk + Win32.ZBot

Total: 1540435 fingerprints in 545254 rules for 4933 products.

defrag defrag defrag defrag defrag, then run vrius scan

Yup....done that already. If I don't get this sorted soon I'll have to reload windows.......and I hate reconfiguring all the little settings on my programs.

What about those 35 gigs of hidden files? Have you found out about those yet? :thumbsup:

Even if they are not suspicious, I found that XP likes the partition it is installed on to be as empty as possible. Don't know what the IT guys would say to this, but that's how it appears to me. You could have 100s of GBs of free HDD space, but once the system partition fills up, it can slow things down immensely.