Computer problems......machine runs slow

What about those 35 gigs of hidden files? Have you found out about those yet? :thumbsup:

Even if they are not suspicious, I found that XP likes the partition it is installed on to be as empty as possible. Don't know what the IT guys would say to this, but that's how it appears to me. You could have 100s of GBs of free HDD space, but once the system partition fills up, it can slow things down immensely.

I'm not sure what that stuff is as I don't know how to access hidden folders? How do I do that?

I have one question, What internet provider do you have, cable, dsl, satellite, etc and name of company?

If you DO NOT have AVG for anti virus I would recommend getting it and do away with all your other anti virus programs and software. AVG will detect and remove any of the issues, plus has a firewall, spyware, etc in with the program. If you have a hidden files, (as you mentioned), those generally are trojans retrieved from somewhere. Some of these trojans will attach to other files and programs that makes your computer run and operate. You have to be VERY CAREFULL because if you delete the file(s), it could cause your other programs to malfunction and your computer not to work at all.

Like I said, I had iseveral gaming trojans on my computer and it made everything go wrong with my computer and it was also attached to my recovery drive on my computer, so everytime I got rid of it, it came back when I rebooted it, this was before I had gotten AVG which later AVG got rid of it in both my drives.

Edited by TheHarleyMan2

Steve,

Open up a folder... My computer for example.

Click tools,

Select folder options,

Click the view tab,

Scroll down and click the "Show hidden files and folders" button.

After that you can see hidden files and folders. They appear slightly translucent compared to regular folders.

This is for windows XP pro, It should be similar with other windows operating systems.

NewBitmapImage-2.jpg

Curt

Edited by C-130CrewChief
I also have AVG, it's awesome and requires very little maintenance. I never get viruses, and my computer runs fast!

Been using the AVG free addition for years now.

Curt

Yeah if you are in the military you get the program for free otherwise for the cost it is worth it! I didn't know the government uses AVG until 2 years ago when I looked at my AKO account and they offered it!

Your handle, you a C-130 Crew Chief or is that just your handle? I jumped out of plenty of C-130's in the day! I haven't jumped out of one in 10 years, mainly we use Blackhawks, or CH47's now, unless we use the AH6 "Little Birds" for infiltration or extractions.

Thanks for your help everyone. I'm going to format my C Drive and re-install windows. nothing faster than a freshly installed operating system.

For what it is worth I buy a second hard drive add that to my PC and format that, then add the current one as a second hard drive, i.e as D drive, I can then access everything on the old drive in case there is something I forgot, after a while or if needed I then format that one and swop them over again :worship:

Here's a screen shot of the start up file list

Click here for the start up list

There's a lot of stuff there I'd disable, QTTASK uses up a fair bit of processing time, plus all the "updater" links that do nothing more than look for the latest software update from the home office, I kill all of those on my system.

Ken

Good call Steve.

Looking at that start up list, there nothing bad in there but there is a lot in there, most of which isnt needed at startup.

qttask.exe for instance.

When you want to watch a quicktime movie do you really care if it takes 5 seconds longer to load the movie when you want to watch it, or 5 seconds longer every time you boot up your PC.

• 3 months later...

OS is XP.....computer is wired to modem. My wifes seldom used computer is surfing on the same modem very quickly......so it appears to be an issue with my machine.

I'll try running CCleaner. Not sure what is running during Start-up....how do I find out?

CCleaner provides an interface to see what is running at start up and it allows you to keep it from starting when the machine turns on. It's a great utility.

You could also do a more thorough defrag with a third party defrag program.

There are some now that operate transparently in the background so they will keep your hard drives defragged even while you use the computer.

Here is a Top 10 Review side-by-side comparison of the best defrag programs available:

http://disk-defragmenter-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

You can click on the images of each of the products and get a detailed analysis of it and why it placed where it did.

The top placers defrag in the background, and for the most part they offer a fully functional free trial so you can get it, run it and see exactly what it will do for your system (and completely defrag both your drives simultaneously) before buying.

Check it out.

I havent used this for a very long time Steve, and if you select to delete the wrong items it will do more harm than good to the point where you might not be able to fix it without help...

jv16 Power Tools was the name, it was a rather powerful tool for system optimization, I havent used it since I stopped running XP about 3 years ago. I could if you wanted run it in a XP Virtual Machine to give you a heads up before you try it, but I always used it on my XP system and never had a performace problem...

and while its true Ive always run a dually the performance was different after I run it because it cleans out so much un-needed garbage.