Eastern Australian floods

My thoughts and prayers go out to the people of southeast Queensland and northeast New South Wales who are right now contending with floods. In Toowoomba west of Brisbane eight people are confirmed dead and seventy two are unaccounted for. Stay safe DDC and BadCop. Trent I know you may not be directly involved (but then again you might be). Our thoughts are with all those people affected by these sudden floods. Even some low lying areas of Brisbane are now being flooded and I have just heard on the radio that in some areas of SE QLD they have had 150mm of rain in the last hour, that's about 6 inches in the old money. In Brisbane the peak of the flood will coincide with the peak of the higi tide in the Brisbane River. I ask for the thoughts and prayers of all the membership of the ARC forums because we have at least two members in that region.

Ross.

Thanks for the concern Ross - all is safe here as are my family and friends. Where I am there is a chance of getting somewhat isolated by the main roads getting cut off, but not of having to cram the stash into a tinny. There are many people in a much worse situation though - the Brisbane CBD has been evacuated and flood levels are predicted to be 17.2m tonight - not that far off the big floods of 1974 when they reached nearly 20m.

not fun and not good...... voglers at ipswich is a great hobby shop hope it doesnt go under with the bremer rising...... mind you the riverlink shopping centre may finally sink. stay safe people .... may i recommend hanging out at Mt Tambourine?.... nah... cant joke about this.....be careful and be safe.

I just finished digging an emergency drainage ditch around the back of my house now the rain has abated somewhat. While there's little danger of flooding here from any of the rivers coming up, with all of the stormwater drainage overwhelmed there is a chance that runoff coming down the hill and through my backyard could get things inside wet a little if we get another heavy and sustained downpour.

I saw this on the news last night. Frightning stuff. I emailed friends of ours in Toowoomba who confirm they're OK but soggy. The TV footage looked simply frightful & when it showed the after shots, it gave some idea of the severity of the flow. I hope to heaven I never have to face the like & my heart goes out, not only to those who've lost family & friends but also those who've had their lives trashed.

Steve

Lori and my thoughts are with those who are affected by the flooding in Queensland. Just heard that a lady from WA trapped by flooding in Queensland has just lost her home south of Perth in a bushfire.

Terrible stuff all round.

10 dead 78 missing, and thats only the outlying agriculture valley. Damage at which is being compaired to the 1974 Cylone Tracy !

Brisbane River has burst its banks and starting to flood already. The headline is " Australia's Third largest city, is prepairing to close down". It's a combination of a king tide, the inland "sunami" from Toowomba and the overflowing dams (that were built to prevent another flood) that are starting to hit Brisbane in the next 36 hours.

r700488_5364196.jpg

Brisbane - 5 hours ago !

The Royal Brisbane Hospital (where I work) is canceling all non essecial operations, and Shift staff, (including me) are sleeping on site !!!

BRISBANE CITY ! is being partaily evacuated, for Gods sake !!!!!!!!!

Mmmm - It's a bit wet...............

(and this is after a Decade of drought !! (I love Australia))

(---But Ive got some models here to do !!!!!! so don't panic yet)

Edited by ixgr1

I feel compassion and care for the Australian people affected by these floods.

Having dealt with the Mississippi River floods in 1993, I remember vividly the smell, the sounds and the destruction flooding brought.

If it were possible, I would gladly come to Australia to, again, fill sandbags, distribute food and the host of other services these people will need. For now, my thoughts and prayers cross the ocean.

Rick in Maine

Even though the river has broken its banks, the water is predicted to continue to rise over the next few days, with a peak around Thursday, as more water makes its was into the catchments around Brisbane. Unfortunately, this also supposedly coinciding with a king tide, which won't help at all.

Also hoping for the best possible outcome,

Tom

The most surprising part of the Towoomba flash floods is that the city is 700m above sea level and there aren't any rivers that run through it. The ferocity of it was amazing to see on the news and comparison to an 'inland tsunami' seemed to be appropriate. I spent part of last night helping people move furniture out of houses that are due to go under as well as encouraging others to move out. Estimates of the final flood levels around Ipswich have now gone to exceed that of the 1974 floods, up to 22m above the normal river level. The mayor has been saying that 1/3 of the house could end up going under here.

Latest news on the floods. Now 75% of Queensland is declared flooded. That's a huge area. The QLD premier Anna Bligh is on the tv right now and she has said that police and the State Emergency Services are now looking for more than 90 people in the Ipswich and Lockyer Valley areas and there are now 10 people confirmed dead. The Brisbane River has now broken its banks and in certain areas Energex is starting to cut power where it could be dangerous to have power on.

Ross.

Edited for typos.

Edited by ross blackford

Ross MY thoughts are with those people of QLD ...do you know if RUNCORN is as bad as well as MY

brother lives there..I tried googling but it it does not show much very well just

a blue line showing where water has gone over and where it is likely to flood..

WE cannot get any response to e mails and Family in USA ans UK are worried ..

MY prayers are with the people of QLD and MY brother and his family...

ANY one watched the news over there that can enlighten ME...Thank you.

HOLMES :cheers: :D

not fun and not good...... voglers at ipswich is a great hobby shop hope it doesnt go under with the bremer rising...... mind you the riverlink shopping centre may finally sink. stay safe people .... may i recommend hanging out at Mt Tambourine?.... nah... cant joke about this.....be careful and be safe.

voglers may well go under, the flood will be worse than 74 by all accounts

Anyone seeking information regarding relatives who have been uncontactable may be able to get some info by logging on to the Australian Red Cross website at www.redcross.org.au I hope this may be of some help to members outside Queensland. On the sadder side of human nature there has been seen in Ipswich where looting has already been reported. The mayor of Ipswich has said that if he catches anyone looting he will personally use them as flood markers.

Ross.

Ross MY thoughts are with those people of QLD ...do you know if RUNCORN is as bad as well as MY

brother lives there..I tried googling but it it does not show much very well just

a blue line showing where water has gone over and where it is likely to flood..

WE cannot get any response to e mails and Family in USA ans UK are worried ..

MY prayers are with the people of QLD and MY brother and his family...

ANY one watched the news over there that can enlighten ME...Thank you.

HOLMES :unsure: :crying2:

Holmes, your family is in my thoughts and prayers ... :pray:

I hope all turns out well ...

-Gregg