Current US Army Huey operators

NTCs AVCO will operate 6 UH-1Hs till the end of 2011. Their life was extended 6 months as the UH-72s are so power limited ,when they need lift they use the Hueys. They are only used for support and havent flown OPFOR for years now , although some are still painted in Camo. They will part out aricraft to keep the others running.

I took pics of one on-base last week.

NTCs AVCO will operate 6 UH-1Hs till the end of 2011. Their life was extended 6 months as the UH-72s are so power limited ,when they need lift they use the Hueys. They are only used for support and havent flown OPFOR for years now , although some are still painted in Camo. They will part out aricraft to keep the others running.

I took pics of one on-base last week.

I, for one, would love to see any pics of current US Army Hueys, including the high vis White Sands bird. I still can't believe they are being replaced by UH-72's. I had resigned myself to the Huey being dropped in favor of the UH-60 but I can't see for the life of me why you would want to replace them with underpowered helos with limited cargo space. OH well, at least i got to see a few of them in service before they are all gone. Thanks for the info everybody.

Ray

I, for one, would love to see any pics of current US Army Hueys, including the high vis White Sands bird. I still can't believe they are being replaced by UH-72's. I had resigned myself to the Huey being dropped in favor of the UH-60 but I can't see for the life of me why you would want to replace them with underpowered helos with limited cargo space. OH well, at least i got to see a few of them in service before they are all gone. Thanks for the info everybody.

Ray

PICS PLEASE!!!!! In honor of those beautiful girls!!!

What was the rational for replacing the Hueys with the UH-72? From what it sounds like, the Lakota's have some serious issues in hot and high conditions and definitely have less payload capability. Obviously the Huey is a very old design but it is still being built (re-manufactured?) to this day so it can't be a lack of spare parts issue.

Did it just come down to operating costs or were there other issues involved? Seems to me that if you have an airframe that was paid for 30 years ago and is going strong (maybe just needs a re-build to Huey II standard), why spend the money on a brand new helo? Obviously, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to send Huey's into combat but for the stateside support role, they seemed to be getting the job done quite well.

Regards,

John

What was the rational for replacing the Hueys with the UH-72? From what it sounds like, the Lakota's have some serious issues in hot and high conditions and definitely have less payload capability. Obviously the Huey is a very old design but it is still being built (re-manufactured?) to this day so it can't be a lack of spare parts issue.

Did it just come down to operating costs or were there other issues involved? Seems to me that if you have an airframe that was paid for 30 years ago and is going strong (maybe just needs a re-build to Huey II standard), why spend the money on a brand new helo? Obviously, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to send Huey's into combat but for the stateside support role, they seemed to be getting the job done quite well.

Regards,

John

John, somewhere out there a defense contractor is laughing. And counting his money. And he's probably French or German.

John, somewhere out there a defense contractor is laughing. And counting his money. And he's probably French or German.

There is at least a theory going around that sounds plausible to me. It contends that EADS sold the US Army the UH-72 cheap ( 2 million a pop) to help secure the Air Force Tanker deal with the US military. Of course since Boeing now appears to have that locked up, perhaps the joke is on EADS. I can tell you that the Flatiron UH-72s have a 56 lb wieght attached under the tailboom to offset the weight of the rescue equipment inside the cabin and maintain proper CG. One old Huey maintainer I spoke to thinks that is not a good thing and will eventually lead to an accident. I don't have enough technical experience to say one way or the other, but it is interesting. I have a photo of the weights added, but it doesn't belong in a Huey thread!

Ray

Edited by rotorwash

The HUEY 210 program was the was the way to go on the LUH. Its hot-high performance is on par with the UH-60L , if not better for the weight it operates. The 205A+ and A++ in the civil world are spectacular performers. If a base UH-1H can run circles around a UH-72A (in payload and lift) , imagine what a Super Huey can do. The UH-72A doors cannot let more then one person out at a time and they break ! The Cabin size is OK and the Rotor system excellent. That said, in most places east of the rockies the UH-72A has decent performance , but once over 5000ft they are way power limited and payload drops quick.

They are 25 knots faster than a UH-1 and have a pretty excellent avionics package , but when it gets to a choice , the Huey is a REAL military combat helicopter. And the cabin and big doors have a huge advasntage to the UH-72A.

Also , the Marine just retired its UH-1N from all west coast squadrons , the UH-1Y has completley replaced it. HMLAT-303 will send its last N model to the east coast in the next couple weeks.

I know we still have 2 at Mather in CA They do not fly them any more and there may still be som floating around the state but most of them where replaced with My units old UH-60A when we got the HH-60L's.

I have to go out there now that I am back from my flu and take some pics for Floyd of the HH-60L I will do a walk arounf of the Huey while I am there I dont know much about it other than it was a med-evac.

The Calif. NG retired its last Huey about 1 1/2 years ago......they are done. Sacramento Fire Dept got the 2nd to last one and its been Super Huey`ed since then. The last Calif. NG Huey is reserved for a Museam.

does anyone know of plans for a Superhuey Kit or a conversion for the Dragon?panda huey??

I think most of the stuff is out there already. You can use the Cobra sugar scoop, Fireball has 1/32 scale ASE equipment that would still work on the Dragon kit, the only thing you would have to scratch build would be the missile warning sensors and the tailboom mounted flare dispensers. Both would be do-able.

If you want to add a nice touch, Legend makes a very nice M-134 minigun set.

That being said, I'd love to see a complete Huey II resin upgrade. The only problem is that the Dragon kit is such a POS, I'm not sure I could subject myself to building one all over again.

I think most of the stuff is out there already. You can use the Cobra sugar scoop, Fireball has 1/32 scale ASE equipment that would still work on the Dragon kit, the only thing you would have to scratch build would be the missile warning sensors and the tailboom mounted flare dispensers. Both would be do-able.

If you want to add a nice touch, Legend makes a very nice M-134 minigun set.

That being said, I'd love to see a complete Huey II resin upgrade. The only problem is that the Dragon kit is such a POS, I'm not sure I could subject myself to building one all over again.

If only some enterprising kit manufacturer would scale down the 1/48 Italeri UH-1D/H fuselage and engine cowling to go with rest of the Italeri 1/72 UH-1N kit, viola a 1/72 Huey II in God's scale!

Ray

Edited by rotorwash
The Calif. NG retired its last Huey about 1 1/2 years ago......they are done. Sacramento Fire Dept got the 2nd to last one and its been Super Huey`ed since then. The last Calif. NG Huey is reserved for a Museam.

Yea I knew we got rid of them but the CA guard has a habit of hanging on to old gear. I should have the pics of the one at Mather by this week end

• 4 weeks later...

Sad, sad news....

another chapter has come to an end.

The last active UH-1Hs left German soil this week. The 4 Hueys were flown from Hohenfels to Ramstein AFB where they will be loaded into a C-5 and flown back to the US. :crying2:

Here's some more info: My link

And a nice little clip from the last Fly-by:

Cheers,

ROB

Sad, sad news....

another chapter has come to an end.

The last active UH-1Hs left German soil this week. The 4 Hueys were flown from Hohenfels to Ramstein AFB where they will be loaded into a C-5 and flown back to the US. :crying2:

Here's some more info: My link

And a nice little clip from the last Fly-by:

Cheers,

ROB

Rob,

That is indeed sad to hear. Is the NH90 going to take their place?

Ray

Ray,

the US Hueys are to be replaced by the UH-72 Lakotas.

Well, they already are.

Cheers,

ROB

Rob,

Doh, I'm a dummy. I thought you were talking about YOUR Hueys, not ours. I should pay better attention. Tell me the D's are still flying.

Ray

Camp Pendleton in California still has UH-1N Twin Hueys. I was going down to Solana Beach for a Dick Dale concert, and I saw a UH-1N flying low overhead.

What you saw was a USMC UH-1N. The US Army never flew N models. The USMC still has a bunch of Ns flying with no plan to replace them (other than with UH-1Ys) for the distant future. The USMC will probably still be flying Hueys (Y and Z models) when the US Army replaces the Blackhawk.

I can confirm that the 2nd Aviation Det at USMA West Point still has a couple. They fly over my house daily. In fact, one just passed over head as I'm typing this. Can't mistake that distinctive Whop Whop Whop.

Doc