Current US Army Huey operators

I can confirm that the 2nd Aviation Det at USMA West Point still has a couple. They fly over my house daily. In fact, one just passed over head as I'm typing this. Can't mistake that distinctive Whop Whop Whop.

Doc

WOW! I thought they were all replaced. I know one of the USMA Hueys are down here in GA flying with the State Patrol

They have at least two. I have laid eyes on both of them. Each year the 2nd Aviation Det. allows the local Vocational/Trade School to host a career fair for Jr High Kids. The event is held in one of their hangars so the aircraft are displaced for two days. Two Hueys were sitting on the tarmac next to the hangar.

• 10 months later...

Army Hueys are almost an extinct species. The Yakima birds have been turned in to be converted to TH-1H's. Also, one of the last National Guard birds. There were also several of the JUH-1H's on the lot today.

Ray

Yakima Dustoff:

DSC_0015.JPG

One of the last NG Hueys:

DSC_0034.JPG

Now this is one well worn old girl. I'd love to figure out how to paint this scheme!

DSC_0028.JPG

DSC_0027.JPG

JUH-1H's- note how similar the schemes are. I was also surprised by how much overspray of the CARC there was onto the tan undercoat. Also, there is a lot of variation in the green hues.

DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0033.JPG

Are they sealing the seams with that metal air conditioning tape?

Anyways, I have got to figure a way to hang out with you someday. You go to the coolest spots! But really, I need to get my booty down to Dothan then to the Museum. I honestly hate my new work schedule.

Very, very cool pics Ray. As always, you are the best at getting this stuff. I like the shot of the Huey with the Aux tank. Don't see those often.

Now this is one well worn old girl. I'd love to figure out how to paint this scheme!

DSC_0028.JPG

That is a cool looking Huey. Did that helo actually fly in that condition or has it been fading away due to sitting idle outdoors for a few years?

CARC and Vietnam era OD go pretty well together, I'd love to see someone make a model of this one.

That is a cool looking Huey. Did that helo actually fly in that condition or has it been fading away due to sitting idle outdoors for a few years?

CARC and Vietnam era OD go pretty well together, I'd love to see someone make a model of this one.

John,

She actually just arrived at the Ozark facility. That's why she still has a rotor. And yes, she flew n.

Ray

John,

She actually just arrived at the Ozark facility. That's why she still has a rotor. And yes, she flew n.

Ray

Very interesting. The most unique Huey I ever saw (actually flew in it a few times back in the day) was an H-model that had an OD fuselage and a CARC tailboom. Every other Huey flying was CARC, this one stayed like that for quite a while before getting repainted. Wish I had taken a few pics, I would have loved to build that one.