Photo Etch Control Panels

I once read a post on how someone does there PE control panels it involve painting the back of the film white I think and then sandwiching the film and the etch using Future as glue... I'm not sure exactly how this is done or if I remember correctly. Anyway I'm interested in hearing how ppl do PE control panels. I've done 2 others and they didn't turn out that great. I'm getting ready to try again with PE for Tamiya's 1/72 Spitfire Mk. I and I'd like for it to turn out good this time. Any help is appreciated!

You're on the right track. Paint the back of the film white and let dry. (Actually, before the white, you could add some color where appropriate, but in 1/72, not really worth it). Paint the front of the panel and let dry. In 1/72, I find that it really doesn't matter that much whether you do any drybrushing and highlighting now, or later, though in larger scales it could matter a great deal.

Cut the panel out of the sheet (*). I use superglue to attach it to the back of the etched panel, but many use Future. Future has the advantage of a longer working time so you can get it better aligned, but I use a slower-curing glue and that works ok. The one time I tried using Future I didn't leave it sit long enough to set up properly, and it didn't have enough strength until it, so it came apart as soon as I started handling it.

(*) - Some panels are set up so that you *could* attach the whole acetate sheet to the panel and then trim, but I think you're asking for trouble...

Either way, when dealing with photoetch and acetate instruments, make sure you have a pair of fine-pointed scissors (see Steve's Tool 'n' Tips article here on the subject).

First step I cut out the PE, then trace it out on a piece of white plastic card (.20 -.40 thou depending

on what scale )

Cut out the card panel and before anything else test fit it to the inside of the fuselage and

do a dry fit run with all the other cockpit parts. This way you find out what doesnt fit right before

you mangle that soft easily destroyed chunk of brass.

If its minor, a little off the top, a shade on the right - you can then use the plastic part to trim up

the brass.

Now paint the brass, cut out the acetate - glue acetate to white plastic backing - brass to acetate

using white glue. When all is dry a very tiny bead of superglue around the edges.

You end up with a complete unit pre shaped ready to drop into place.

Thanks for the help guys! I'm gonna try real hard to make this one work out! Also any hints for folding PE? I don't have a hold-n-fold , but I'm sure there are other ways to do it.

A metal ruler and a razor blade. For all intents and purposes, this is what all the PE folding tools are, you're just paying $30 for a spring so you don't have to hold the ruler down yourself. ;)

Line the fold line up along the edge of the ruler, slide the blade under the part and fold it up.

Thanks MoFo! I've been folding it using tweezers and my Xacto knife. Ruined the seat for the 1/72 Spit...Oh well I'll use the kit seat. Just wanted a little more info before i ruined the rest of the PE.