O/T - the new Verizon i-ph-one

The bad signal is mostly down the AT&T yes, but also with the most recent incarnation of the Apple wonder toy the signal problem was highlighted to such a degree that it is unuseable unless its in a case that means you dont touch the metal edge.

This problem also highlighted problems on earlier phones from them, and the fact that the OS reports the signal strength as stronger than it actually is.

So when you have a bad signal it tells you its better than it really is...

That stylish look costs you more than you might think!

I wouldnt have one, not any of them, there is something better out there for you... there really not the thinking mans phone.

there really not the thinking mans phone.

Where? :bandhead2:

I would have to disagree with you there. The fruitphone is *far* more capable than any of its rivals - if you have a cell service to connect to that actually has service. Opinions on this are all over the map, but I think Apple's sales of their phone would tend to negate the notion that it's not a thinking person's phone.

I'm happy as hopefully all of the whiners can get off the ATT cell forums and move on over.

The "horror" stories associated with AT&T are overblown. I've never had a problem with them. Any company is going to have certain locations where their coverage is spotty and the other guys are better. That works both ways. For those who want to swap over to V, enjoy the slower 3G speeds, the inability to use voice and data at the same time, the inability to use the phone in many places outside the US, the need to buy a new phone since GSM phones won't work on V's network, and the EFT you have to pay if you are still in contract.

I dunno - maybe from your perspective - but I know folks who work for AT&T who had issues left and right with regard to the network (in oklahoma) - and were adamant about it not being an issue with the phone - but more of the network. As for the whole using voice and data at the same time; who cares? I don't see why thats such a big selling point... Thats the only perk I've seen AT&T push for a while...

As for buying a completely different phone, that's not necessarily the case - my BBerry Storm 2 works with GSM and CDMA, you merely have to select which you care to use. And seeing how I am a spammer....please report this post. is going to be on both types of network - I think it'd make sense to have that level of cross-compatability already handy. I know some iPhones have been unlocked and are used with other networks; so that may not be as big an issue as you make it.

I think at this point I'd wait and see if the 5 coming out in June/July will be an LTE phone. It may not be, but if it is, those who jumped on the 4 and locked into contract are going to be pretty disappointed.

It's supposed to be from my understanding. Lets hope that holds true

No they're not. Not even a little tiny bit overblown in my experience.

I owned a fruitphone for about 18 hours this summer. I got it about 3:00 Friday afternoon. I opened the package, plugged the thing in and got it all set up via the AT&T web site - and had no signal. I thought it was something I'd done, so I called AT&T. Their response? "Have you tried going outside?" Seriously? But see, I actually live *inside* my house. I live in a city of 150,000 people along a major interstate corridor, and I had NO signal in my house. Not a single bar. AT&T asked me what m Zip Code was, and when I told them, they said that there *should* be signal in my are (Really? Y'think?), and that they were going to be installing a new tower very near my house "sometime in 2011". Really? How nice for you.

So first thing Saturday morning I marched myself down to the AT&T store to see what they could do. The answer was, nothing. Nothing except to tell me how great their service was and to go out of his way to tell me how lousy Verizon's service was. Really? Funny, I've had Verizon for almost ten years and only very, very rarely have a call drop, and am almost *never* without signal around this area. Even when I lived waaaaaaay out in the country, I had a Verizon signal. I told AT&T to cancel my service and I returned the fruitphone to Fruitco in California. For months afterward AT&T tried to collect $375 from me for an "early termination fee". Funny, I never actually *had* service, and I never placed or received a call with them. I told them to stick their fee where the sun don't shine. And they wonder why people hate them?

WOW, no service in the Valley? I didn't realize Roanoke was 150,000? When did it get that big?? I've been gone too long...... I had that kinda service with Sprint when I moved out west - it was so bad, they didn't bother trying to convince me to stay, they were actually really agreeable! apparently they were able to see all my dropped calls... I didn't have signal in my house at all, in fact, I had to wander around the yard in an attempt to get signal - it was pathetic. AT&T told me not to bother with them cause of where I live back when I was looking to switch - they actually told me verizon was my best bet (i found that ammusing to say the least). My family tried to get me to go with t mobile but they live in Charlotte and can't get signal in their own home, so I told them no thanks, lol.

Verizon has been super agreeable though - I've driven just about 3/4's of the country and was hardly out of 3G service, except between Hobbs NM and Big Spring TX - I still had service, just not the 3G. Everywhere else I've been has been awesome. Though there are areas where military bases are that are either contracted out to sprint/or nothing works there.

So what are my thoughts on a Verizon fruitphone? When can I get one and where do I sign?

apparently 2/10/11!!!

I'll switch phones when they do, the people I know that have them love them except for the AT&T service they are stuck with. I use a b-lackberry with Verizon now and hate it (the b-lackberry), I like the virtual keyboard better.

I use the Storm 2, and it's a pain in the butt........ for the most part I like it - but it works when it wants to. It's certainly no i-ph-one or droid... tried talking my wife into getting a droid at first; but besides the fact it was bulky - it wasn't that impressive; except that it operated pretty fast. Some folks bash the fruitphone saying the android is better - and with all my friends that have one, verses the apple, it's pretty disappointing. I thought about switching to a droid myself cause my Storm 2 was getting pretty aggravating - but after playing with it, I decided to hold off. Glad I waited, cause now the i-ph-one is here. my wife wound up going with the Palm Pre; thats actually a pretty neat little phone. I remember when I first got my BBerry, I though Verizon was slow with their data - but as it was, it was just the BBerry - cause it did it both on phone signal, and wifi - the palm pre is pretty fast when working off the network; I was impressed.

The bad signal is mostly down the AT&T yes, but also with the most recent incarnation of the Apple wonder toy the signal problem was highlighted to such a degree that it is unuseable unless its in a case that means you dont touch the metal edge.

This problem also highlighted problems on earlier phones from them, and the fact that the OS reports the signal strength as stronger than it actually is.

So when you have a bad signal it tells you its better than it really is...

That stylish look costs you more than you might think!

I wouldnt have one, not any of them, there is something better out there for you... there really not the thinking mans phone.

I'm with jennings on this one - I also know folks with the newest "4", and apparently they get better signal now than before, despite what some have noted.

Where? :)

I would have to disagree with you there. The fruitphone is *far* more capable than any of its rivals - if you have a cell service to connect to that actually has service. Opinions on this are all over the map, but I think Apple's sales of their phone would tend to negate the notion that it's not a thinking person's phone.

It isnt, technologically speaking its a full 12 months older than its rivals, most of the constraints are because of apple themselves.

See some of the Steve Jobs interviews to see the proof of this... he has said it himself.

I'm with jennings on this one - I also know folks with the newest "4", and apparently they get better signal now than before, despite what some have noted.

The signal is better? im guessing these folk have tested the actual radio signal that the device recieves as opposed to the signal strength the phones software reports it has... the two things are not related to each other.

Thats the problem, not only with version 4 but with all of them.

The signal is better? im guessing these folk have tested the actual radio signal that the device recieves as opposed to the signal strength the phones software reports it has... the two things are not related to each other.

Thats the problem, not only with version 4 but with all of them.

Can you show this info?

the one particular fella was telling me he was getting signal in areas he never got it before with his new one

Edited by Skyraider Maniac
No they're not. Not even a little tiny bit overblown in my experience.

I owned a fruitphone for about 18 hours this summer. I got it about 3:00 Friday afternoon. I opened the package, plugged the thing in and got it all set up via the AT&T web site - and had no signal. I thought it was something I'd done, so I called AT&T. Their response? "Have you tried going outside?" Seriously? But see, I actually live *inside* my house. I live in a city of 150,000 people along a major interstate corridor, and I had NO signal in my house. Not a single bar. AT&T asked me what m Zip Code was, and when I told them, they said that there *should* be signal in my are (Really? Y'think?), and that they were going to be installing a new tower very near my house "sometime in 2011". Really? How nice for you.

So first thing Saturday morning I marched myself down to the AT&T store to see what they could do. The answer was, nothing. Nothing except to tell me how great their service was and to go out of his way to tell me how lousy Verizon's service was. Really? Funny, I've had Verizon for almost ten years and only very, very rarely have a call drop, and am almost *never* without signal around this area. Even when I lived waaaaaaay out in the country, I had a Verizon signal. I told AT&T to cancel my service and I returned the fruitphone to Fruitco in California. For months afterward AT&T tried to collect $375 from me for an "early termination fee". Funny, I never actually *had* service, and I never placed or received a call with them. I told them to stick their fee where the sun don't shine. And they wonder why people hate them?

So what are my thoughts on a Verizon fruitphone? When can I get one and where do I sign?

All that means is that you happen to be in a place where the Verizon signal is much better than the AT&T signal. I'm sure that there places where AT&T has a good signal and Verizon has a bad signal, and if that were the case, you'd hate Verizon as much as you hate AT&T. I pretty sure there are a number of people who left Verizon for AT&T and would never go back too.

When I lived in Oklahoma, I had AT and T and absolutely hated their service. I must preface that by saying that my home was in some type of space-time continuum on their service map. If I lived about 400 yards in any direction, I would have been fine. I also had a problem with calls never going through. I'd always get a "call failed". Might have to try 3 or 4 times to gt the call to go through. At any rate, my personal experience was terrible.

I now live in Alabama, and my company provides us with Bl a ck Be rr y Storm II through the V. I have great service, but the actual phone has some weird quirks.

When this phone gives up the ghost or our contract with the phone ends, I will definitely get the i fone.....unless, of course, the it doesn't work well on their network for some reason or the other.

All that means is that you happen to be in a place where the Verizon signal is much better than the AT&T signal. I'm sure that there places where AT&T has a good signal and Verizon has a bad signal, and if that were the case, you'd hate Verizon as much as you hate AT&T. I pretty sure there are a number of people who left Verizon for AT&T and would never go back too.

Unlikely, I travel a lot for work, and in the past 5 years I have never run into the situation that another service had a signal when Verizon didn't.

If you look at the service maps is is very clear, Verizon has chosen to offer basic service as broadly as possible, while AT&T has chosen to offer expanded services limited to the major cities. If you live in a major metro area you have some options for service, but if you are in a rural area or travel frequently I have not found any service to match Verizon.

Unlikely, I travel a lot for work, and in the past 5 years I have never run into the situation that another service had a signal when Verizon didn't.

If you look at the service maps is is very clear, Verizon has chosen to offer basic service as broadly as possible, while AT&T has chosen to offer expanded services limited to the major cities. If you live in a major metro area you have some options for service, but if you are in a rural area or travel frequently I have not found any service to match Verizon.

Not where I live ...

Verizon's coverage is spotty in this area where as AT&T is quite good ...

Gregg

gotta go with Greg on this one. living by the shore here leaves some verizon users in some poor zones, whilst the same spot with an att...working fine.

On the coast of California and off the coast At&t works better than Verizon.....now here's the kicker. My coverage and data work better a couple miles offshore than they do in San Francisco and the Bay. Once I'm outside the Golden Gate I'm good to go. Go figure.

I cant remember... it was part of an article just after the launch... I read it on an RSS, so maybe NY Times, CNN carried the story, I remember it was not long after Jobs announced there would be no new announcments about the problems for just under 1 year... this June or July.

Its down to iOS reporting a higher signal than it really has. it effects all iPhones from first to latest

gotta go with Greg on this one. living by the shore here leaves some verizon users in some poor zones, whilst the same spot with an att...working fine.

Just going off my actual experience in the Western states. I have had several occasions where locals tell me how much better AT&T works there only for them to discover my phone actually has better coverage than theirs. Are you basing this "better" on actual experience or second hand reports? Like I said so far in 5 years I am 100% on having service if anyone does.

On the coast of California and off the coast At&t works better than Verizon.....now here's the kicker. My coverage and data work better a couple miles offshore than they do in San Francisco and the Bay. Once I'm outside the Golden Gate I'm good to go. Go figure.

I don't have AT&T so I can't say "better", but I have very good coverage in most places I've been in California. Again if anyone has service I do.

I cant remember... it was part of an article just after the launch... I read it on an RSS, so maybe NY Times, CNN carried the story, I remember it was not long after Jobs announced there would be no new announcments about the problems for just under 1 year... this June or July.

Its down to iOS reporting a higher signal than it really has. it effects all iPhones from first to latest

The so-called i-Phone 4 death grip causes a drop in reception strength by only a certain amount rather than a steady decrease to zero reception as some people believe. If you're in an area with good signal strength then the death grip will have little appreciable affect but in an area of poor signal strength it will be sufficient to wipe out any reception. AnandTech tested the actual radio strength that the device receives and posted the results.

iOS 4.01 fixed the erroneous/misleading (take your pick) reporting of signal strength when it was released on July 15th, about three weeks after the i-Phone 4 was launched.

Edited by saintly

I was just dumbfounded at the utter and complete lack of professionalism by AT&T's telephone tech support and (most especially) store personnel. The guy at the local store went out of his way to run down Verizon to me. I don't care what a customer might say, you *don't* run down your competition to the customer. It's simply not done (not if you want me as a customer). I literally laughed out loud at the woman on the phone when she suggested I try going outside to get a better signal.

In the ten years I've been with Verizon, I've never had *anything* but the very best customer service. Anytime I've ever had the slightest problem with my bill, they automatically default to "oh don't worry, I'll take that charge off for you" without my even asking. They've always been extremely professional and helpful. And frankly, that means as much to me as having a good signal does. Nothing infuriates me more than "customer service" people who obviously don't give a crap about their customers. And that's the feeling I got from everyone I spoke to at AT&T.

J

Guys, this is getting kind of heated. I follow a few phone forums, and the att/big red discussions always get ugly. Maybe we should bring it back to something we can all agree on, like the accuracy of Trumpeteer's latest release, or the skin texture of a Kinetic kit. Or just debate who would win in a F-22 v T-50 v J-20 threeway.

You know, something non contentious.