Cockpit done.

Was cursing Airfix doddgy fit when i couldn't get the rear gunner into his seat with the rear gun in place, then realised i had his floor & seat in the wrong way around :wave:

Brush painted the pilots with Humbrol enamels, just like in the good old days.

Cockpit-1.jpg

Nice one!

bad luck on the 109, did you take it back?

Julien

yes, they swapped it for the Devastator, no probs. They were pretty thin in Airfix kits at our little local shop as they said they'd sold heaps over xmas. I really wanted to do a Meteor, but none in stock at present.

thanks for changing the title Johno :thumbsup:

I'm going thru a pretty crap time re jobs at present (will be basically unemployed as of end Jan) and this group build will help take my mind off things.

Ouch Thommo, I thought your side of things was busy at the moment?

it's busy Johno, but not in the sense of bringing in the bacon, busy trying to wind up our business and applying for jobs. Have a local opportunity that might pan out, else may have to move ;) Am chasing one on the coast which would be quite nice, but it's a long shot. Not a good time for all this uncertainty for us.

• 2 weeks later...

got quite a bit of contruction done, had more time on my hands than expected

putty city :thumbsup:

got it all undercoated today & windscreen on (made a bit of a mess of it), so nearly up to paint - my favourite task :jaw-dropping:

TopConstruct2.jpg

UnderConstruct.jpg

Nice work mate, and great (second) choice!

Looking forward to the finished product :

Fingers crossed for you on the job front mate, hope all goes well for you.

Denzil

You've done a nice job with the joins and seams. :(

I really struggle with these things, but you don't obviously.

Deacon

Looking good so far. It doesn't look like a lot of filler was need from where I'm sitting but then again guys with skills have a way of doing that. If you look at my P-39 you'll see I'm not one of them... :whistle:

There is a fair bit of putty in there, but because it is Tamyia (similar colour to the plastic), it does not show up like Dirks squadron blue.

I use a lot of neat acetone when applying putty. Dip my brush in acetone, then swirl it around in a little putty in a plastic lid to make it a sort of thin slurry and brush it on into gaps etc. Usually requires numerous applications to fill a decent gap, but you get a smoother finish and less sanding needed. For really big gaps, i apply the putty neat with a litttle flattened cocktail stick, then use a cottonbud dipped in acetone to wipe it smooth, remove excess.

The other thing i spend more time on now is getting the fit better through careful dry-fitting/sanding before i glue. Saves a lot of putty. I'm also pretty fanatical about sanding them carefully, holding them up to my lamp at different angles to ensure no ridges, holes etc. Even so, the bottom rear fuselage seam is not great - has a dip in it.

But i do still struggle with seams. some builders never need putty it appears. i always do, even on good kits :pray:

Edited by Thommo
  • 3 weeks later...

you know how some paint jobs just go like clockwork....

...and some require numerous touch-ups because, you just keep making silly little stuff-ups?

well this one is in the later category :crying: But it's getting there.

PaintTop1.jpg

PaintUnder.jpg

and i've been looking at the decals..... i'm not getting good vibes (read thick, shiny, look like nuthin is gonna bed them down). Stay tuned :wub:

should add, I decided to paint on the bands, wing walks etc instead of using the supplied decals, due to my desire to minimise the use of the suss looking decals.

the silver is Floquil Old Railway Silver (enamel), the red, yellow and black Tamiya acrylics.

Edited by Thommo

Decals on

As feared, they were complete rubbish, thick, would not conform over detail, seemed to have no adhesion to the surface. I remember the old Airfix kits had great thin decals that bedded down perfectly :huh:

Tried everything - MicroSet, MicroSol, Mr Mark Softer, even neat vinegarin complete desperation :bandhead2:

In the end, used a trick i found on ARC - wet washer nuked in the microwave for 30 secs, then press down hard on decal for 20 secs or so, then stab it full of holes and re-apply MicroSol :rolleyes: That worked to some extent. But there was a little cracking that required paint touch-ups.

For the 'T' on the fuselage - it was just awful over the red band, so i cut some bits of white decal from a spares decal sheet, hit it with Sol and Set and it went down over those little rivets like a dream.

DecalsTop.jpg

This is looking great, I love yellow wings. I was thinking about possibly doing the Devestator once my Buffalo is done.

Obviously an older kit but any particularly rough spots to point out for extra attention if you had it to do over again?