Obviously an older kit but any particularly rough spots to point out for extra attention if you had it to do over again?

I had to do a bit of sanding to get the cockpit floor to fit in such a way that the 2 fuselage halves came together well.

I've just put on the main canopy (the large centre piece) and had to do more sanding on the edge of the little shelf in the cockpit that the radar loop sits on and also the backrest behind the pilots seat. The canopies are thick and rough in general.

I want to pose the front canopy open, but there is no way - it simply sits up way to high on top of the large centre canopy, so i'm either going to leave it off or have a try at vac-forming another thin one that will sit over the main canopy better.

The air intake under the starboard wing fits terribly and needed a lot of putty.

I struggled to get the wing dihedral right - after gluing wings on, did lots of adjustments while the glue was semi-dry, which resulted in needing to leave some biggish gaps to fill with putty in order to get the dihedral close to respectable.

But the worst feature of the version i had was definitely the decals.

Despite all that whinging, it is still a pretty easy and fun kit to make.

• 1 month later...

the problem with getting a new job is finding time to finish this little beast :)

got the wheels, prop etc on, just need to stretch a bit of sprue for the radio wire......one day

then i'll be done

I built one of these a few months ago, a nice little kit, one of Airfix's best of that era. The decals on the other hand were atrocious, thick, stiff and fragile. One of these days I'm going to grab another one to build with the PE set that's available and a sheet of aftermarket decals.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished it off today, adding the anntena wire with a bit of stretched sprue, painted with Tamiya chrome silver and a few blobs of black. Will stick a few pics in the completed builds section.

Next build will also be an Airfix - a Meteor F8 i got on Ebay which is on its way(though there is some concern it may be missing bits) in RAAF markings, but not for this GB, won't get it done in time.

FinalPort1.jpg

FinalStrbdClose.jpg

Finished it off today, adding the anntena wire with a bit of stretched sprue, painted with Tamiya chrome silver and a few blobs of black. Will stick a few pics in the completed builds section.

Next build will also be an Airfix - a Meteor F8 i got on Ebay which is on its way(though there is some concern it may be missing bits) in RAAF markings, but not for this GB, won't get it done in time.

thanks folks

thought i'd let you know, the Airfix Meteor F8 arrived today from the motherland (UK) and damn it is a nice kit :blink: - great detail in the cockpit, wheelwells, jet engine intakes etc. I'm bloody amazed compared to the Devastator kit :) Incredibly detailed decals sheet too & choice of 2 canopies (one which will be correct for the RAAF version). Really looking forward to building it.