Monogram CF-101B 1/48th 425 Sqn

The kit is the Monogram 1/48th Voodoo with Eduard PE and Leading Edge Decals. I have the BB pit but have not decided if I will use it.

(The choice was this or a Hase CF-104D NMF)

The Scheme...... This has me torn as there are a Plethora to choose from and no it will not be the Chicken Bird (which I think is a very unloved scheme that decal Mfgs have ignored for too long).

It has come down to Aluminum Finish (which is where I am leaning) Symmetrical Era or the late Voodoo Grey. I'm undecided Please help. Chime in with your favorite.

Off to open the package.... The build will be in conjunction with my Canadian Coyote scratch build AFV so some days I will do one or the other.

All advice.... experience....anecdotes....critiques welcome and I will try to break this not finishing a GB thing.

:D

Emil

Edited by Emvar

Voodoo grey, one bottle of model master and its done. If YOU do a BMF we won't see the completed model till 2014. :nanner:

Oh yes, I am off Fri, Sat AND Sunday.

Edited by phantom
Voodoo grey, one bottle of model master and its done. If YOU do a BMF we won't see the completed model till 2014. :thumbsup:

Oh yes, I am off Fri, Sat AND Sunday.

Oh no I wouldn't be doing the Foil thing..... Aluminum out of a bottle or rattle can.

Friday is good.

Voodoo Grey is my vote., bub. As for needing a whole bottle, phantom must have been rolling around in it before spraying his model. :thumbsup: There are issues but I like the look of the 'traditional' grey Voodoos, but that's just me. I used 1/2 a bottle on mine. I may bring it to Heritagecon in March.

Look forward to your build my friend. Get it done for Heritagecon and I have an Astra Arrow for you. :wasntme:

Mike

Voodoo Grey is my vote., bub. As for needing a whole bottle, phantom must have been rolling around in it before spraying his model. :monkeydance: There are issues but I like the look of the 'traditional' grey Voodoos, but that's just me. I used 1/2 a bottle on mine. I may bring it to Heritagecon in March.

Look forward to your build my friend. Get it done for Heritagecon and I have an Astra Arrow for you. :lol:

Mike

I'll try for Hamilton.... no promises though. The Astra Arrow is yours Mike.... Like I'm going to build it. :rolleyes:

I haven't made up my mind yet but Like Sean says alot of prep work needs to get done. I decided on the BB 'Pit though.

Funny thing though the Monogram figures have the USAF helmets which I'm pretty sure were not in use here. So unless I find new heads this will be sitting on the ground.

I'm working on assembling the fiddly sub assemblies first prepping the Fuselage by removing the slime lights and puttying up certain holes where I will be using decals. The seams are rather nuts on this kit but I've got time. I've sanded off some detail which I need to replace but I'm not re-scribing...... so I will try stretched sprue.

:cheers:

Emil

Voodoo Grey is my vote., bub. As for needing a whole bottle, phantom must have been rolling around in it before spraying his model. :monkeydance: There are issues but I like the look of the 'traditional' grey Voodoos, but that's just me. I used 1/2 a bottle on mine. I may bring it to Heritagecon in March.

Look forward to your build my friend. Get it done for Heritagecon and I have an Astra Arrow for you. :cheers:

Mike

You don't use the entire bottle on the model!!!!!! First you paint the cat. See how that looks in flight then paint the model. Perhaps constant painting of the cat is why I have to take her to the vet after work............ :rolleyes:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........ I hate raised panel lines almost as much as I hate scribing panel lines........ Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

So I've sanded off all the panel detail on both sides of the fuselage, Next will be lower Fuse and wings. I just got to figure out how to replace the detail.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........ I hate raised panel lines almost as much as I hate scribing panel lines........ Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

So I've sanded off all the panel detail on both sides of the fuselage, Next will be lower Fuse and wings. I just got to figure out how to replace the detail.

Gutsy! I have built this kit twice already, and have one that I just might do in this GB... Never in a million years would I undertake the job of transforming raised into recessed panel lines - can't wait to see the results.

Good luck!

ALF

Gutsy! I have built this kit twice already, and have one that I just might do in this GB... Never in a million years would I undertake the job of transforming raised into recessed panel lines - can't wait to see the results.

Good luck!

ALF

Thank goodness I have more than one in the stash!!! I'm using the other kit a a master for drawing the panel line detail on the sanded one. I am only going to rescribe the main stuff and not the real minute detail which I think makes the model too busy. Having the opportunity to work around a couple of aircraft in my day, most panels are flush with the fuselage and you would not notice Hinge and Latch detail. As far as I know these aircraft were kept really clean so even weathering would be at a minimum.

Now the alternative to scribing would be to replace the raised detail using stretched sprue and gluing it in place..... knowing my luck I would touch one of these surfaces with my fingertips and the fingerprints would be embossed which would result in a flying half built voodoo and a trip to the beer store.

Here is some more inspiration. Wayne Hui's site

I am also looking for boarding ladders...... anyone have ideas?

:)

Emil

Okay, there's a lack of CF-101 photos in this thread so far. So I took it upon myself to add one.....

100_0085.jpg

(sorry......I just couldn't hold back any longer!! I tried.....I really really did!! Bratton is gonna kill me - lol)

Edited by Tilt
And again, the only person I've ever heard use that nickname is Tilt. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Sean

Hahaha...

I told you before. Get the book "Starfighter" by David Bashow. He has an AWESOME story in there (written by Laurie Hawn) that explains it. Hehe

(edit: I was lucky enough to get partnered up with Hawnski in a rousing game of crud one night - and he personally confirmed the .... uhmm .... nickname) :D

Edited by Tilt

I can independently corroborate that nickname was quite common for the old DooDoo.

I cannot, however, condone its use in such comic fashion... Mr Bratton, you may administer 20 lashes with a wet noodle - Tilt, assume the position!

ALF

Alright..... some pictures. First off my helpers....

Angel

2902498260034470781S500x500Q85.jpg

Arrow

2160544730034470781S500x500Q85.jpg

Both in deep thought about solving my scribing dilemma

One intake hollowed out

2046632940034470781S500x500Q85.jpg

Nose detail sanded off

2845421740034470781S500x500Q85.jpg

filling of some holes

2726078170034470781S500x500Q85.jpg

Left side panel lines drawn in pencil right side not started.

2198664270034470781S500x500Q85.jpg

Brand new wash machine purchased over the holidays..... comparison shot. :)

2483126140034470781S500x500Q85.jpg

:nanner:

Emil

Nose section on the LS pretty much done on the rescribe.... thank goodness for Dymo tape.

I must take a run over to Micheals some time this week to see if they have any of these left. I was at the Micheals in Saint John the other day and they were sold out, and had a clearance sticker on the shelf.

Edited by Charlie Cheetah
You don't use the entire bottle on the model!!!!!! First you paint the cat. See how that looks in flight then paint the model. Perhaps constant painting of the cat is why I have to take her to the vet after work............ :D

That's the only way you were going to get a Voodoo Grey 'Lynx' in your house, was it? Did it fly as well as the real thing? :blink:

Good luck!

ALF

What ALF said. I've built two and I had enough of a problem just getting the slime lights off. I couldn't image trying to rescribe the whole thing.

Good luck buddy.

Mike

No pics yet today, Took a little time away from the bench nursing a twisted ankle.

I've rescribed the Left side fuselage...... I think I did not bad. I've also added some rivets using a punch like this Punch and I have used the Trumpeter rivet maker also. I like the punch as I have better control but it is time consuming.

Till later.

Emil