OK, here's my entry.

I want to try myself at scratchbuilding cockpit, and I don't want to use pilots, at least not while they're in, vickers and lewis guns are complete ****, maybe I'll try to add something, but not very much, also rigging. I think that's all. I'll use those RFC decals. I hope everything is ok regarding rules.DSCN2870.jpg

Edited by neca12

I built an 80s reissue of this kit earlier this year, despite its age it wasn't a bad kit overall. It looks like they have added some decal options, what are the red, yellow, black markings for?

RE81.jpg

This is the same kit I think, I actually want to try some new techniques with it so it may not be my best build :coolio:

Black yellow red are Belgium, they mostly had IRFC planes I think. I like your build, have you done anything interior? Those machine guns really give out bad overall looking at least for me :woo:

I built an 80s reissue of this kit earlier this year, despite its age it wasn't a bad kit overall. It looks like they have added some decal options, what are the red, yellow, black markings for?

Snap :lol:

IMG_7304.jpg

DEacon

Edited by Julien (UK)

Neca, all I did was make up some seats to fill the empty holes in the fuselage. The machineguns could definately be better, but I think they can be worked with. More than the guns, the rear mount could really use some added detail.

Deacon, I see you added the top wing rigging. This was my first rigging project, so I skipped that, but it does add quite bit.

ah come on guys, everybody already did this :crying2:

I found very nice sketches(I htink they are called like that) from interior, rear one is basicaly empty, front one is a bit better, nothing hard to do, but that will actually be my first cockpit scratchbuilding :bandhead2:

• 5 weeks later...

Oh, I came to last page and started kit yesterday :pray:

Scratchbuilt cockpit and put some putty in wings since pin marks are at so stupid place :D . I'll have to try to simulate rib with tamiya masking tape, we'll see how does it work. Things left for me to do are pilot's joystick, rudder bar, pilot's seat(any idea???), throttle,radiator and mixture handles. And lewis magazines, but this one will have none spares cause I can't think of a way to make them. :pray:

Fit wing-fuse is AWFUL, but I hope I will sort it.

DSCN2893.jpg

DSCN2895.jpg

DSCN2898.jpg

If some of those things are unclear what they are, feel free to ask, there's a cockpit panel, base, fuel can.

Pictures are before painting(obvious) there will be humbrol 121 as a base, and then on cockpit stuff, raw umber oil paint to try wood graining.

Thanks for looking.

Project is progressing veeeeeery slowly.Wooden parts have oil paints on it. Probably dried till now, since I am afraid of touching them for few days :roll: And last few days I've been drilling a hole in the wing, few a day. So on weekend I hope I will put up fuselage together.

As for decals, yeah sure, where are you from?

Saga continues :P although I'm not satisfied :woo:

Here's the "cockpit", one important part is missing, seat! I need balsa for that, so I hope it will be added later on. Areas without paint have paint on it, and it can't be seen easily anyway ;)

DSCN2899.jpg

Here are the next problems that are waiting

DSCN2902.jpg

Putty is on, and drying.

I did some preshading there, and it looks good on the upper wing on the upper area, not really down. I also need to drill in some holes for rigging.

Thanks for looking, it isn't going well as it's supposed :P :)

Okay, second page on thread, I am back again :jaw-dropping::worship:

222222.jpg

111111111.jpg

Colors used are, Humbrol 155, for PC10, down there, Hu121 for CDL, and 1401 model master aluminium metalizer.

Here is what I done till now, all irregularities are going to tone when I pute a Future exchange, in the end it will be matt, with just small drop of semigloss, just not to be too dull. It will be weathered around lower part of the wings plus gear, and probably on tail. Drop in some ideas if you have :blink:

Next thing that awaits me, is, dreaded putting of upper wing(I forgot to take a photo of it, and now i'm too lazy) but it's finished.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by neca12

Ha! Nobody likes my build. Anyway here's next step. UPPER WING IS ON! I love how did it get there. But since my oils are still fragile(long time since I put them) I'll have to redo some of them in the end while on it. Next step, second most hard step is rigging(I've never done one) and have to put 2 copper wire things at top of wing(always forget those)+I have to buy a new drill since I broke second one in a month.

DSCN2913.jpg

DSCN2914.jpg

DSCN2920.jpg

Note: Pictures are done quickly, that's why you can see stuff in the back, I have to buy a new background paper.

Second time, my wing broke the glue and struts, I've almost did rigging on one side. I just don't feel like doing this crap anymore. Sorry :( Maybe WWI isn't theater for me. Or should I take a break from this one :thumbsup::cheers: ;) :angry:

Neca, I always thought the same thing. I'm still more or less scared of biplane modeling, but I've hit upon two things

1) Rigging is easier in the larger scales

2) Rigging is MUCH easier when you use elastic thread. This stuff is magic! :thumbsup:

Just today I purchased an AVIA B 534 biplane with some simple rigging to practice on. If this turns out well, I'll try my hand at a Wingnut Wings 1/32 RE 8. IT is my absolutely favorite biplane ever. In fact, I hope you reconsider giving up on yours. It is a neat little kit, and it would be nice to see it complete

Well, I have put inner struts again, and put a wing on it. Group build goes till June so I have enough time to put it together again. I hope I will. But just can't continue now. As for the elastic thread, well, I'll probably end up buying it somewhere. I've heard there's ezline and aeroclub's rigging thread? Hm, I see shipping for Ez Line is 6 dollars, that's half of the price. :thumbsup: