How to seal metallic colors?

Hi

As always, after applying the decals to my airliners I seal the decals with gloss cote.

The problem is that, when I seal some metallic colors, they loose their metallic appearence.

How can I seal this metallic colors, without loosing their appearence and the gloss finish of the rest colors?

Hi

As always, after applying the decals to my airliners I seal the decals with gloss cote.

The problem is that, when I seal some metallic colors, they loose their metallic appearence.

How can I seal this metallic colors, without loosing their appearence and the gloss finish of the rest colors?

Seal just the decal by brushing on the clear coat of your choice. Just ever so slightly go beyond the edges of the decal to ensure it stays adhered. If you want to seal the entire NMF, then you have no recourse but to apply a clear coat of some type. I use Future for gloss and my Spray Metal Clear for satin finishes.

There is also a clear gloss coat from alclad. I think it should be adapted for metallic finishes. I bought one bottle, but have not try it yet.

My next project is a 1/32 MIG19, NMF, so i should be able to say what the result is.

While any clear coat will permit the underlying color to show through, whatever sheen (flat to gloss) will also be imparted to the underlying color - that is why we gloss coat for decal applications and flat coat afterwards - and that is also why appplying a clear coat to a nmf usually makes it look something other than natural metal.

Buffable natural metal finishes usually need to be sealed for protection, but not the non-buffing ones. These (non-buffing) are also smooth enough that decal application over them wont be a problem. As already mentioned, if you need to top coat a decal, keep the clear coating on the decal, and try not to get any on the nmf.

As you can see, there are usually a wide range of answers to most questions in this section.

I come from the other side of the camp in which I ALWAYS use Future both before and after applying decals when using Alclad II lacquers for my BMF builds.

I've heard the argument countless times here that using Future distorts the natural appearance of BMF finishes, which I have to say is not only inaccurate but mildly amusing.

Consider it this way....literally everyone swears by using Future for canopies as the result is a more realistic, glass-like finish to a plastic piece. Future does not distort the look or sheen of the canopy but rather makes it that much more realistic to the eye.

Yet some will tell you that applying Future to a BMF alters the tones or distorts them somehow. Absolute garbage, if not hypocritcal if you ask me....as if it works to add shine and luster to a canopy then it does the same for BMF paint jobs.

Best,

Greg

As you can see, there are usually a wide range of answers to most questions in this section.

...Yet some will tell you that applying Future to a BMF alters the tones or distorts them somehow. Absolute garbage, if not hypocritcal if you ask me....as if it works to add shine and luster to a canopy then it does the same for BMF paint jobs.

Best,

Greg

If you want a shiny, glossy nmf Future will work just fine. For me, unless I want to represent a just waxed and polished a/c, that 'Future shine' is too much

Any clear coat, Future included, will not distort, I dont think anyone claimed that it would. What they all will do is give whatever sheen or luster the clear coat has to whatever it covers, whether it is a camo color or a nm finish. That is the whole point of clear coating - gloss to get a smooth finish for decals and, following the decals, a flat coat, to give the shiny camo a duller finish. Nothing hypocritical about it.

If you want a shiny, glossy nmf Future will work just fine. For me, unless I want to represent a just waxed and polished a/c, that 'Future shine' is too much

Any clear coat, Future included, will not distort, I dont think anyone claimed that it would. What they all will do is give whatever sheen or luster the clear coat has to whatever it covers, whether it is a camo color or a nm finish. That is the whole point of clear coating - gloss to get a smooth finish for decals and, following the decals, a flat coat, to give the shiny camo a duller finish. Nothing hypocritical about it.

Chuck,

This isn't a personal attack geared towards you and I honestly don't understand being hostile about it like this. It IS hypocritical, from what I've seen and read here, for some to dismiss Future as being a viable and useful means of sealing up after decals for a nice glossy BMF without changing the appearance of the metal tones painted in place.

Clearly you've either overlooked or dismissed the countless threads posted here regarding sealing BMF paint jobs with Future, for if you were paying attention many HAVE claimed that Future alters the appearance of the paint. That is total and complete nonsense and frankly I'm sick of those who make such outlandish claims. I provided very detailed support as to how those claims were indeed hypocritical by those claiming Future to be THE best means for a crystal clear canopy yet somehow "bad" when sealing a BMF paint job because it changes the appearance.

But what do I know....being asked by Tony at Alclad to do an on-line build for him to post for others to see and use on his recently updated website....obviously I must somehow be wrong with my suggestions to the initial posting here.

Greg

Edited by GGoheen
Clearly you've either overlooked or dismissed the countless threads posted here regarding sealing BMF paint jobs with Future...

Greg,

You are correct, I usually dont pay too much attention to such things. However, in this particular thread, which is the one I was talking about, I dont think anyone was claiming Future distorted a finish, I know I wasn't.

This isn't a personal attack geared towards you and I honestly don't understand being hostile about it like this. It IS hypocritical, from what I've seen and read here, for some to dismiss Future as being a viable and useful means of sealing up after decals for a nice glossy BMF without changing the appearance of the metal tones painted in place.

And yes, I did take it as a personal attack and was hostile since my response seemed to be one the one you were directing your 'being hypocrital' comment towards. All I have said, and will continue to say is that any clear coat will impart whatever luster or sheen it has to the underlaying color coat. If you like the gloss from Future on a natural metal finish, fine go ahead and use it. For me however, that polished look looks great on a canopy but not on most nmf aircraft, especially military ones (unless of course some poor sod had to polish the WingCo's bird in lieu of an Article 15). :D