TechMod Decals -

Greetings mates,

I have found some TechMod decals that interest me. They do some subjects that no one else seems to bother with. I seem to remember that some modelers have had big-time problems with TechMod decals cracking and falling apart.

Are they worth ordering or should I stay clear of them?

thanks!

Clicky

... I seem to remember that some modelers have had big-time problems with TechMod decals cracking and falling apart.

I have heard about that as well, but the couple of times I have used them (unfortunately perhaps not the sheet you linked), I had no problems.

The only problem I have ever had is that they need to be applied in a pool of water or setting solution as the adhesive seems to bond to the surface quickly. Other than that I haven't had any problems and have used them on several recent projects.

I have used Techmod Declas twice. Both times they cracked on me and ended up useless. I even used a sealant the second time around with the same disappointing results. I would not waste your money if I were you. Hope this helps.

I used Techmod Decals many times. You may look at my site: www.e-rav.pl and type "Techmod" in the search box.

The newer decals (with blue background) are OK. They won't crack if you wait until the decal will slide on paper without forcing it to move. You should also use decal liquids (I use Gunze ones, sometimes Agama Hypersol too).

I have used Techmod decals quite a bit and have only had problems with one decal, this was a large 1/32 scale FAA roundel (FAA Corsair) and it cracked in two, probably my own fault for not letting the decal soak for long enough.

Cheers

Den

I would not waste your money if I were you. Hope this helps.

A bit harsh. You'd be missing an extensive line of interesting markings.

I've used them often because they cover the Polish Air Force very well. I never really thought about the connection with newer decals being printed on blue, but it is true they do perform better. You have to be careful to make sure they release from the backing paper properly, and that you place them on the model carefully because they don't like to move once in place.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Richard

I have had only frustrating results with them. First sheet (their very nice looking 1/72 A6M2 set) was horrendous; some of the decals shattered on contact with water; others simply would not separate from the backing, in some cases, the color actually separated from the sheet and flaked off before getting anywhere near water.

I thought I'd simply been unlucky, thinking maybe this was just a fluke or the product of a bad run. I bought two additional copies of the set . . . and had EXACTLY THE SAME RESULTS!!!!

Others may do what they will, but I will avoid anything by Techmod in future.

cheers

Old Blind Dog

I used them just once, on a Mk Vb spitfire. The printing is excellent and the markings were beautiful, but I did have some issues...the markings with a clear background were difficult to maneuver before the film started to disintegrate, so you have to be pretty accurate in placing them because you don't have very long! And use lots of water to keep them floating, although that can create its own difficulties.

The other problem I had was that the roundels seemed completely impervious to any kind of setting solution. I applied Solvaset for an hour and the things would not go into the panel lines--I eventually peeled them off in pieces and used the kit Tamiya roundels. I hope they don't all perform like this, because I have a lot of them!

I have used Techmod Declas twice. Both times they cracked on me and ended up useless. I even used a sealant the second time around with the same disappointing results. I would not waste your money if I were you. Hope this helps.

What setting solution did you use? I used the same spitfire set you did, I think, and had a hell of a time getting the roundels to respond!

What setting solution did you use? I used the same spitfire set you did, I think, and had a hell of a time getting the roundels to respond!

Setting solution was Testor's Model Master setting solution. But was very careful with it. Didn't seem to make a difference. As I stated in my first post, I would not waste my money on Techmod decals. There are plenty other brands out there that make good selection, and will perform much better with much less aggravation. Just my tuppence, of course, take it for what it is worth.

Oh snap. I have two TechMod sheets now, Spitfire Mk. IX and Mk. V. I'll hold off on getting any more. What a shame as they have done a lot of interesting subjects.

Short version: Run away. Far Away. Quickly.

Long version: I only used them once, and will never use them again. I used their 1/24 Spitfire sheet, and very single decal shattered into thousands of tiny little pieces as soon as it hit the water. After the first roundel did this, I sprayed the sheet with liquid decal film, and had the exact same results as with the unprotected decal. What I could use stuck to the model upon contact, with little or no chance of movement without further damage.

I'll echo Jamie Cheslo's remark about keeping your money in your wallet.

I wouldn't worry about it, Ham. I've used two different sets (72-020 & 72-103) with zero problems. Just be sure to test the decals first, you can never be sure about any decals!

That's a good point: test them!

Techmod quite often makes some changes in their printing technology and unfortunately, some of the decals may be hard to use - but which exactly, I don't know.

I only can say the decals attached to the Topcolors books and printed by Techmod are of good quality, I've tested most of them.

I used 4 sheets: 109, Fokker D.VII, Spitifire V and Spitifire IX (all in 48th). I remember them being mostly stiff and unresponsive to setting solutions. I also had some stick to the surface and resist repositioning, which resulted in tears - but haven't had them crack and disintegrate on their own.

No idea about the ones you're after.

HTH