Should Non-Historic Forts be included in the GB

Should we include Non-Historic Forts?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Should we include Non-Historic Forts in the GB?

• Yes, any Fort is a good Fort.
    • Yes, so long as it's just the markings
    • No! Only Actual Real Forts Allowed!
    • Only Real Forts get the raffle

Folks,

I've been bothered by this one for a couple days, and thought I would toss this one out to the good folks taking part in this GB.

Currently we've got two potentially "non-historic" or "non-real" Forts being made. The rules of the GB is that it has to be an actual B-17 in some form. So, whether that be one that flew, and did her part with a gallant crew at some point, or a B-17 restored, somewhat inaccuaretly even (if that's the case), but sits high and mighty on a monument somewhere, it was acceptable.

However, this is a GB that I want to be fun and enjoyable for all who want to participate. So, here's a simple pole. What do you all think?

1. Any Fort is a good Fort - so any modification, any addition, any cutsom work, so long as you started with a B-17 kit. Could be a What-If, could be a concept, could be your wildest imagination.

2. So long as it is only the markings, be it the nose art, tail number, overall colour scheme - if it's a Fort with just a change in markings, that acceptable.

3. Nope! Stick with the original rules - if the Fort isn't real, it's not in the GB.

4. Build what you want - but only the real Forts get entered into the raffle (hey, don't get mad, I'm just throwing out all the options)

So, I leave the poll to you all. I'd like to have the votes tallied by by Friday. Leave any comments you like as well, possibly other options. This GB is about all of us, so I'm hoping that maybe we can find on rare occation and solution that fits all.

Cheers!

Mark.

Edited by Kostucha
Folks,

I've been bothered by this one for a couple days, and thought I would toss this one out to the good folks taking part in this GB.

Currently we've got two potentially "non-historic" or "non-real" Forts being made. The rules of the GB is that it has to be an actual B-17 in some form. So, whether that be one that flew, and did her part with a gallant crew at some point, or a B-17 restored, somewhat inaccuaretly even (if that's the case), but sits high and mighty on a monument somewhere, it was acceptable.

However, this is a GB that I want to be fun and enjoyable for all who want to participate. So, here's a simple pole. What do you all think?

1. Any Fort is a good Fort - so any modification, any addition, any cutsom work, so long as you started with a B-17 kit. Could be a What-If, could be a concept, could be your wildest imagination.

2. So long as it is only the markings, be it the nose art, tail number, overall colour scheme - if it's a Fort with just a change in markings, that acceptable.

3. Nope! Stick with the original rules - if the Fort isn't real, it's not in the GB.

4. Build what you want - but only the real Forts get entered into the raffle (hey, don't get mad, I'm just throwing out all the options)

So, I leave the poll to you all. I'd like to have the votes tallied by by Friday. Leave any comments you like as well, possibly other options. This GB is about all of us, so I'm hoping that maybe we can find on rare occation and solution that fits all.

Cheers!

Mark.

Stupid me voting before reading. I voted for number 1 but really it's number 2. I thought that any fort is a god fort meant any model fort with any markings you wanted. I didn't think about what-ifs and what not. So change my vote for number 2. That said I'm ok with a what if if it's a regular model Fort but has say modern markings or even modern weapons in the bomb bay. But those wacky what ifs I'm not cool on.

No worries - I'll keep that in mind. But next time...

It was the dad side of me that was coming out. And really, the other possibility from Richter with a -17 sporting a Monkey, 'nuff said.

I'm not one to change the rules half way through a game, but if it makes sense to, and it can make this GB a little more enjoyable for us all, without spinning out of control, then why not. As I said, I really would like to know what you all - the participants and the ones who are really making this GB happen - I want to know how you all feel.

Cheers,

Mark.

I'm not sure which way to vote, part wants to stick to the rules but the non Ahole part of me asks "who cares".

I'd like to keep it within the realm of reality though, if it flew for real, it's in. Showbirds included.

I havent read the rules yet, but I dont think the historical releavance of a subject is of any importance. The GB is for B-17s and thier derivatives. So any real B-17 subject should be allowed. Now as for the whiffers, that depends on if you allowed them or not at the beginning of the GB. Fictitios markings kinda falls under the what if category.

If it were up to me, allow the fictitious markings.

I voted sure, but not in the raffle

Reason being, to build a specific aircraft requires research and accuracy.

I am building a fictitious markings for my son, If I put the wrong color, wrong # whatever, it does not matter.

Those that are building a real craft, especially those putting one together from handmade decals, they deserve the recognition and accolades for their hard work

Just my $1.380

I voted sure, but not in the raffle

Reason being, to build a specific aircraft requires research and accuracy.

Those that are building a real craft, especially those putting one together from handmade decals, they deserve the recognition and accolades for their hard work

i voted the same for the same reasons

Technically then my fuselage build would not be included because it's only a quarter of a bird and will have all kinds of strange markings.

But realistically took me no less time to do.

conundrums

Edited by Bigasshammm

No, he is! he is!

The Raffle works on each completed entry gives you another entry into the raffle - so his half bomber wouldn't be considered for the entry. The other ones would.

That's what you're saying, right? If not, tell me to shuddup and I'll take my foot out of my mouth.

The crazy what if's - not that there are any mentioned here - were something I wanted to avoid from the get-go.

If it looks like a Fort, shaped like a Fort, has 4 engines and wings like a Fort - well, except for Stephens "Hangar Queen", then sure. That's where I sit. Now it's not that I'm afraid of making a command decision on this one. But the last thing I want to do is tick folks off and turn this into something else. I, along with many others here, want this GB to be fun, enjoyable, and something we can do as a group.

I'm thinkin' that if you've got a Fort, and you want to build along, than great! I look at it the same way as someone coming here and saying "Hey, I know I'm not going to finish in 6 months, but can I build along and participate in the GB for the fun of it?" Sure they wont get in the raffle, but I'd have no reason to turn them away. The raffle is nothing more than a bonus - you got your build done, sweet! Looks great! Throw your name in the draw! Got a few done? Awesome! Throw your name in a few times - (oh, ya, I capped it at a max of 3 entries per person). If you didn't get done in time, oh well, I hope you had a fun time with the rest of the members here.

With that in mind, if you want to build a Fort of your own liking, markings, colours, what should be stopping you? I mean, really, one of the most interesting things I saw in my younger years was that scene out of "Heavy Metal" with the B-17 - if someone were to model that B-17, would it fall into real or ficticious?

Its almost as if to say 'if you complete it, and can show a picture of the bird, you're in the raffle' If not, I'll auction off Stephens giant R/C B-17 and split the money made with the rest.

Did I just write that...?

Thoughts?

BAH, I guess Im confused by your thread then. I thought you were building at least 1 real aircraft???

I hope to build definitely at least 1 complete bomber. More likely I'll get two done hopefully, maybe even three if I'm optimistic. But the fuselage build is just something I started while doing other things since I had it because of cutting off the tail for Mark. Then I started tossing the idea around about putting nose arts on it and tributing it and so on and so forth. So it will probably take me the longest to complete with the most work but it won't be included in giving me another raffle chance if we don't include what-if markings.

If that makes any sense.

Mark and I have been in discussions with what to do with the fuselage halve when it's completed. Stay tuned to the GB to learn more.

Kris

The historic versus non-historic fooled me in the title. My initial reaction is that the Fortress need not be historically significant, whatever that means. After reading the poll basis, I guess historically significant is defined as being a 'real' rather than what-if B-17. In that case, I vote for entries needing to be based upon real aircraft, whether it (the real a/c) was a combat vet or not.

Of course. Regardless of the markings or colors, there's still a B-17 variant in there somewhere. Besides, splitting that "historically accurate" hair could go a long ways. It would be tough to get any model build "accurate" in the eyes of some.

Not that I have a horse in this race, but a B-17 is a B-17. Why disappoint anyone who wants to build one? The focus should be on the plane.

Ken

And the "I's" have it.

So folks, thank you for your input. Between here and the PM's, I think it's quite clear, and I am very happy. I'll be updating the rules a little here for entries - if it's a fortress... from a 299, to a modern day post sitter on a monument, a tribute, or a paint scheme chosen by your children - so long as it is a B-17 (Boeing 299, YB-17, Y1B-17, Y1B-17A, B-17B, C, D, E, F, G, H, SB-17G, or any varient in foreign hands (Fortress I, II, III... ect) under all the paint and decals, it's all good. That also includes the prototypes and concepts (such as the XB-38 (if anyone is brave enough), X & YB-40's), and so on.

I hope that's clear enough!

Now, back to the happy model building!

Cheers, and thanks again,

Mark.