Spitfire MK Vb Airfix 1/72

The list has been removed, but I'm pretty certain that this was in the 2010 re-release schedule. There can't be much mileage left in the tooling, I have a Vc boxing and the Vb parts are pretty ropey.

peebeep

MKII/Early MkI kind of seems like a cheap choice but then again you need the coffman blisters for a MkV so all they'd have left to do is tool up a new B wing.

It'll be nice when that occurs then they can add their few years old C wing and have an almost definitive MKV kit.

The Mk.II has the Coffman blister, plus a Rotol prop (usually). The early Mk.I suggests 2-blade prop and low canopy without windscreen armour - I don't recall if all these are shown in the catalogue. Not quite such an easy option as you suggest.

Moving all the way to a Mk.Vb would also require a blown canopy with raised top and external armour, with possibly a different Rotol prop (as on the current issue).

You certainly would NOT want to add the grotesquely thick and inaccurate VC wing - which wouldn't fit the fuselage root anyway. A Mk.VC would also require more rake on the undercarriage, rounded u/c doors, internal canopy armour and (optionally) four cannon and increased horn balance ailerons.

Edited by agboak
MKII/Early MkI kind of seems like a cheap choice but then again you need the coffman blisters for a MkV so all they'd have left to do is tool up a new B wing.

The new Mk I fuselage has a pilot hole already in place for a Coffman fairing, so a II or Va was always on the cards.

they can add their few years old C wing and have an almost definitive MKV kit.

The 'new' Airfix c wing is horrible, personally I'd rather they didn't.

peebeep

The new Mk I fuselage has a pilot hole already in place for a Coffman fairing, so a II or Va was always on the cards.

The 'new' Airfix c wing is horrible, personally I'd rather they didn't.

peebeep

My new MkI's are still in the mail along with the II/Va conversion set from 3-Dkits so its good know the pilot hole points are already marked.