How do you organize your Spare Parts

I use three old kit boxes:

1) Ordnance and underwing stores- easily the biggest box

2) Cockpit and wheels

3) General airframe (antennas, dive brakes, speed brakes, etc.)

Extra decals I just keep in a stack in the cupboard or just put in the box of a similar kit. For example, I have TBM decals in my Tigercat box in case any of the stars and bars or stencils might be applicable. That sort of thing. It's a pretty basic organization. Then again, I've only built about 20 kits in my life, so my spare stash is sure to be smaller than most...

all in one box

i'm cursed with a photographic memmory

sometimes ask me what 2+2 makes and i'd probably think it was a trick question

but ask me what i have in amongst my many 100's of 1000's items and spares and i'll know exactly where it is

there is mass chaos to anyone else

but if asked for something inparticular a couple of minuites would see it found !!

I went to "The Container Store" and bought this (look behind corsair)

5312612867_02a56d28b9_z.jpg

Broke each bin down to its own category of part and there you have it. I went from an old show box to this and its SO much easier.

Ok, so for those of us in the "organize" party, it seems the common thread is to simply group by part type and not by parts that go to a particular aircraft/vehicle. Some good ideas posted. Thanks!

I build the kit first, all the bombs and missiles are done to, after the model is completed all left overs are stored. That way I know what I have, where it is in case I need it for either an model I need it for, or also possible to share with orther members of forums asking for parts.

I do read requests from members in the spares box and if I can help somebody out solving his problem.

At first I just used boxes and plastic totes.

Then I took one of those nut and bolt storage things and seperated out some of my more frequently needs spare parts or from planes I build most often so I have a bin for 1/72 figures, 1/48 figures, 1/72 Spitfire parts, 1/48 spit parts etc. Though my 1/48 P-40 parts ended up needing an old Hasegawa box still...

I went to "The Container Store" and bought this (look behind corsair)

5312612867_02a56d28b9_z.jpg

Broke each bin down to its own category of part and there you have it. I went from an old show box to this and its SO much easier.

Are there containers in this picture? :cheers:

Did you post a build thread on this Corsair?

I guess I'm a bit different. When I finish a kit, I take what is left, put it in a zipper bag, and store all bags in a large plastic box. This way I know which kit a part came from. I do the same with the kits that end up FUBAR.

Unfortunately, the completed bags fill up one box, but the FUBAR'ed kits take up three. Gives you an idea of how good a builder I am. :wub:

Edited by zeus60
Starting to accumulate a fair amount of spares, and trying to figure out the best way to organize them. By aircraft type, by part type, and so on. How do you go about knowing what parts go to what aircraft in case you want to use them that way vs. as a scratch built item for example.

If you take a look in the jewelry / beading section of the craft stores (i.e. Hobby Lobby, Michael's etc.) they sell packages of different sized small zip lock baggies. I have three different sizes that I use to keep my spares organized by what kit they came from. I also use them every time I get a kit, I will place the clear parts in one and the decals in another if they are small enough. The sizes I have are 3"x5", 2"x3" and 1"x2". They also work great to keep small in process parts rounded up. A bag of 50 is like $3.00.

Here's my spares area. Ikea book shelf and boxes. The black boxes hold all the decals from my kits in plastic bags. The orange box is for spares that I don't have much of right now.

CIMG1499.jpg

The bottom two shelves hold my model/aircraft magazines and all my reference books.

CIMG1500.jpg

The closet shelf has my kits

CIMG1498.jpg

And to keep people away from my area......the airsoft gun.

CIMG1501.jpg

Starting to accumulate a fair amount of spares, and trying to figure out the best way to organize them. By aircraft type, by part type, and so on. How do you go about knowing what parts go to what aircraft in case you want to use them that way vs. as a scratch built item for example.

I build aircraft and ships so I have lots of spare parts/aftermarket PE, etc. I organize them by category, e.g. "engines & exhausts", "wheels and landing gear".....and so on, because that's how you're going to be stimulated with a need. You will find "I need some wheels for this guy, 'cause I don't like the kit wheels", then you can look in that category. I have my stuff broken down into 36 categories, 12 sizable drawers per rolling cart (Target) Before I did this, I had no idea what I had or where it was. It works for me, but I'm fortunate enough to have a lovely wife who allows me an entire room for my vice.....'er, hobby, and this method does take up a bit of room.

Mike

PS: I'm not quite sure what I'm doing with this post. It's my first post on ARC, and I don't think I've got the hang of it.

I've got 4 boxes right now.

1. 1/72 spares

2. 1/48 & 1/32 spares

3. Ordnance

4. Decals

At some point I'll likely expand and add organization, but I don't have that large an amount of spares as of yet with only 15 completed kits in the last 3 years.

I just have a single bin I dump spare parts in. I do keep clear parts in a zip loc bag to minimize scratching. I also keep spare pilots/crew and spare stands in bags in the bin to make it easier for me to find those.

:jaw-dropping:

Mike

Guess I should've added what I'm currently doing! I keep all the spare parts from each kit in one of the sprue bags from the kit. All spare decals are kept in one poly envelope.

I just couldn't figure out which was a better method, this, or grouping by part type. Seems most will group by part scale then part type. One thing I've considered is how to figure out what part came from what type aircraft or in the case of pilots, nationality. I guess the only real reasons to know what aircraft the part came from is to either use it as a direct replacement for the same plane type, or if someone else is looking for that specific part(s), as in, "LF 1/48 Tamiay P-47 tailwheel" You may have 10 different tailwheels, how would you now which is for the P-47 unless you are very familiar with the particular kit parts which is certainly possible.