A multi-forum group build in honor of Matt Roberts

Hey all

Whether or not we knew him personally, many of us were touched by Matt Roberts and his contributions to this hobby. His sudden, unexpected and untimely death hit a lot of us pretty hard and many of us are looking for a way to honor Matt. One of the things that Matt seemed to be good at is bringing us all together. Matt was a member of many forums that we all frequent, and yet he never placed his membership in one ahead of any of the others, and avoided much of the mud-slinging that has gone around from time to time...on all of them. This hobby lost a good member of the community, one who helped out whenever he could, and brought a cool head and a quick laugh to any and all conversations he participated in. Not only that, a family has lost a father, son and husband. He was taken at the prime of his life, with very little warning. To some extent, we all feel his loss.

Because of this and the impact that Matt had on the hobby, a few of us have had the idea of doing a multi-forum group build in his honor. At this time, I'm not suggesting a timeline or a particular subject, but it has been suggested that we do something specific like the Kinetic F-16, or more general, meaning whatever we want to build in honor of Matt.

So, what do you guys think? Can we put aside any differences we may have and do this together to honor a friend? Are you guys interested in participating in such a thing?

Aaron

Edited by strikeeagle801

I'm in! Didn't know Matt personally but read many of his posts and always found them very informative. My prayers are with his family. We sure lost a good guy...

Rob

Edited by TOPGUN

I'm in. Lucky for me it looks like types other than the Kinetic F-16 will be allowed, so i won't have to buy one after all...

This GB is being developed primarily over at Zone 5, and since there's some bad blood between the organizers of this site and Z5 (no comment needs to be made on that), it will be difficult to have any sort of unity, but I'll say right now I'm a reader of ARC and Z5, and I'm sick to death of the overt sniping on one side and the covert blocking on the other. Please reply to this thread if you want to participate in the GB, because the lack of response so far is being misinterpreted.

Edited by andrew.deboer

I don't build Vipers - never have. I haven't really been on any other forums other than ARC and LSP. However, this is something that certainly is a most worthy cause, a great idea to honour someone who's done so much for quite a few. I didn't know him that well myself, however since his untimely passing, I have tried to learn more about the man and what he's done.

I'm in!

Could I please ask though that any updates or information please be posted up here on this thread, not just for myself, but all others interested so that we can all be on the same page about this?

Cheers,

Mark.

I've been reluctant to throw my hat in on this build on either site for various reasons. (One main one is I know myself and I probably won't finish whatever build I would do - and I don't know that that would be honoring his memory) BUT I think the idea is GREAT and would be a good way to honor a fellow modeler. One that I feel would have loved for whatever petty feelings, from where ever they may come, to just go away. Who knows, new/old friendships (or at least respect) could be formed or mended? And what better thing to have been said about someone that has passed than their existence helped bring others together. The models themselves are just plastic inanimate objects that will probably end up in a landfill somewhere when it's all said and done. But the relationships are what counts.

So having said that, I will cautiously put myself down as a YES. I will try to participate in this group build. Just please know that IF (when) I don't complete my build it is certainly no disrespect for the man or the spirit behind the GB.

Bill

I don't build Vipers - never have. I haven't really been on any other forums other than ARC and LSP. However, this is something that certainly is a most worthy cause, a great idea to honour someone who's done so much for quite a few. I didn't know him that well myself, however since his untimely passing, I have tried to learn more about the man and what he's done.

I'm in!

Could I please ask though that any updates or information please be posted up here on this thread, not just for myself, but all others interested so that we can all be on the same page about this?

Cheers,

Mark.

Mark

I think it is going to be more of an open build to allow greater participation, so a Viper is not a necessity. As for information, I or someone else will update this thread with any additional info as it is recieved. Right now, I think we are just trying to get a feel as to whether or not this is a workable idea, and how much support we can get from this site and others that may be involved.

I've been reluctant to throw my hat in on this build on either site for various reasons. (One main one is I know myself and I probably won't finish whatever build I would do - and I don't know that that would be honoring his memory) BUT I think the idea is GREAT and would be a good way to honor a fellow modeler. One that I feel would have loved for whatever petty feelings, from where ever they may come, to just go away. Who knows, new/old friendships (or at least respect) could be formed or mended? And what better thing to have been said about someone that has passed than their existence helped bring others together. The models themselves are just plastic inanimate objects that will probably end up in a landfill somewhere when it's all said and done. But the relationships are what counts.

So having said that, I will cautiously put myself down as a YES. I will try to participate in this group build. Just please know that IF (when) I don't complete my build it is certainly no disrespect for the man or the spirit behind the GB.

Bill

No disrespect will be taken Bill. I'm sure Matt had projects that he didn't finish when he intended. As a family man, I'm sure he would understand that life gets in the way of even the best intentions. Again, we are just trying to find out right now if there is enough support to make this a multi-forum GB or not and then we can go from there with the details.

Aaron

I'd be interested. Who is donating the kits for us to build?

Kits are provided by each individual who wishes to participate (i.e. you). I think Aaron was speaking as for what he was able to obtain, for himself.

Rob

Yes, I was talking about the project that I am doing for the GB. The one that I am going to build and sell on E-bay to raise money for his family. All kits, decals, etc used by you in the GB will be supplied by you, the participant, just as with most other GB's. Sorry for the confusion.

Aaron

As part of this GB, it is my plan to build a Viper, and have a base built for it. I've worked on getting the kit, decals and base donated for this project already. When the kit is complete and mounted on the base, I'm going to put it up on E-bay. Any and all money made from the auction is going to be donated to Matt's wife and children to help them out financially. Many of you know that the Roberts were in a tough situation before Matt passed away with him being out of a job for a considerable amount of time. Now that Matt is gone, things are obviously going to get tougher before they are going to get better, and I feel that this is a way (even a small one) that I can help.

I've worked on getting the kit, decals and base donated for this project already.

I'd be interested. Who is donating the kits for us to build?

Aaron is building a donated Viper as part of the group build that will be put on a base and auctioned off to help Matt's family...where did you get that someone "is donating kits for us to build?" Really?

Count me in Aaron!

Matt's sudden passing has touched and saddened me deeply and his presence on these forums is dearly missed. As many of you, I never knew Matt personally yet I still feel his loss as though I did. Matt's passing has also caused me to reflect on what these forums mean to me and the manner in which I contribute to them. Matt could always be counted on to keep us informed with his rumermungering but, the thing I most admired about him was how he remained a positive influence on each forum he participated in. His willingness to rise above the differences of various groups and find the common ground that unites all of the forums, a passion for building models, that is what I consider to be Matt's true legacy to these forums. Matt passing reminds me that there is more to these forums that unite us than divide us and perhaps it's time to put our differences aside and become one community again. I can think of no better way of paying tribute to Matt than by having a GB that unites the various forums he loved and celebrates our passion for building models.

Mark

Guest Hoban Washburne

I understood the point as was to do 'zactly what old mate posted in his first message, which is to find a way to help his family with the hobby we all participate in. Hence, I queried "who was donating the kits" because the OP indicated he'd received his kit in donation to put on eBay....I thought 'haps we were all going to build kits from donations and sell the results of the GB to help a family.

Look, I didn't know this Matt chap, and what was proposed seemed reasonable. When the OP posted about donations and putting stuff on eBay, I assumed the leader of the GB was probably setting the example of how things were running.

Although I find it a mite odd the guy leading the a group build would build a donated kit but expect his participants to supply their own kit.

I think Aaron was speaking as for what he was able to obtain, for himself.

Crystal on that now.

As a member of both ARC and Z5, Im definitely in, maybe not with a Kinetic F-16, more likely a Tamiya, possibly something else. I'd also like to volunteer to be a moderator is needed. the Canadian Wings GB wraps up June 1st, Ill be available after that.

I understood the point as was to do 'zactly what old mate posted in his first message, which is to find a way to help his family with the hobby we all participate in. Hence, I queried "who was donating the kits" because the OP indicated he'd received his kit in donation to put on eBay....I thought 'haps we were all going to build kits from donations and sell the results of the GB to help a family.

Look, I didn't know this Matt chap, and what was proposed seemed reasonable. When the OP posted about donations and putting stuff on eBay, I assumed the leader of the GB was probably setting the example of how things were running.

Although I find it a mite odd the guy leading the a group build would build a donated kit but expect his participants to supply their own kit.

Crystal on that now.

:wub:

Pretty sure Aaron didn't say he was leading the group build and was just outlining his contribution...see bold and italicized part above.

Aaron,

You know I am in it regardless of what the rule of what to build is.

I think that this has to be done....should be done....needs to be done .

- Matt

Edited by JeskiM

I'm in with a HobbyBoss A-7A... Please be gentle! :thumbsup:

I'm thinking a combined-site GB would be a great thing in Matt's honor, but if the chips don't fall that way, the A-7 will be my effort in any/all build, as I build at a glacial pace as it is!

Edited by Nick Kessel

I was friends with Matt on several of the boards and on Facebook and whenever I think of him, I think of the Rumormonger.... I would suggest that a GB be based upon one of the new kits that are coming out this year. Matt was always first with the news of a new kit and would post whatever links he could find. I would love to do one of these new kits in his honor. Just a thought and it may not be practical, but it would capture the spirit of Matt

I'm in but would like to know further details regarding time lines and particulars. I've got the Kinetic 1/72 Israeli and Polish/Greek Block 52 kits, but would prefer to build something else if possible.

Never heard of Z5, and to be honest, I'm not privy to all the bad blood which is just as well. I just want to build a model to honor Matt. Who knows, maybe I'll actually finish it too. :thumbsup:

A Group Build is a great way to honour the memory of one of our own. Has this request been posted on Hyperscale, Britmodeller or any of the other sites he used to frequent? It would be nice to see as many forums as possible contributing.

Al P.