A multi-forum group build in honor of Matt Roberts

Has this request been posted on Hyperscale, Britmodeller or any of the other sites he used to frequent? It would be nice to see as many forums as possible contributing.

While I can't say it's been posted on Hyperscale or Britmodeller or not. I do know that it has been posted on Z5 and there seems to be a fair amount of support for it there. I don't frequent Hyperscale but I do post on Britmodeller and would be willing to see if there is any interest in contributing to this GB there.

I agree that as many forums as possible contributing to this GB would be a great thing.

Mark

Didn't Matt also post on Large Scale Planes? Not a member there myself, but I think I've seen some of Matt's posts there regarding new plastic.

Might be a good idea to give them a heads-up about this, too.

I feel horrible saying this, but I'm not sure I really know who he is, or whether or not I interacted with him. So in terms of a GB, what was he particularly well known for, besides being a nice guy (or so it seams from all of the comments)?

Matt was a much liked member on ARC and I have no problem with a GB on ARC honoring Matt Roberts memory. But to have a GB on ARC, you need to have volunteers to run it as I don't have the time to do that myself. I have no doubt some ARC members will volunteer to run this GB and sort to all the details pertaining to it.

I use 2 computers to work on ARC.

My computer for e-mails is working just fine.

But my other computer that I use to make webpages etc has been down most of this week. Fortunately I did have some content made up in advance and I've been able to continue to do daily updates. I hope to have my computer problems sorted next week. My e-mail machine runs on a very slow connection with a different ISP and that makes surfing the forums very time consuming (it can take a few minutes for each forum webpage to load), so I have not been following the ARC forums this week and instead I've left the ARC moderators in charge. I can't switch to my faster connection as all my e-mails run through the slower connection.

The ARC Super Mods are keeping me aware of any threads that need a response from me.

Guest Hoban Washburne
Never heard of Z5, and to be honest, I'm not privy to all the bad blood which is just as well.

This keeps getting brought up...is this relevant to a build honouring a forum member? I guess I just can't see the point. Just asking, is all...

I need a mite of education here, I suppose. Is the group build supposed to be a way to raise monies for the family (not sure how t'would work, in full honesty), or is it simply a build? Also, everyone keeps mentioning multi-forum. Does that mean we'll be building aircraft from jets, props, and other forum? Or are we contemplating the particulars of a multi-BBS build? Are there rules on participation?

Not sure how a multi-BBS build works, especially since some folks are not members of multiple boards. By means of example, although I was referred to Zone-5 recently by a member here, the Blue Coat server I surf through blocks the site, so I cannot apply for membership there. I am familiar with Hyperscale, but don't have an account with them.

What is LSP?

I guess I don't comprehend the details of how it works if we are discussing a multi-BBS build. I would like to know more, though.

Matt was a much liked member on ARC and I have no problem with a GB on ARC honoring Matt Roberts memory. But to have a GB on ARC, you need to have volunteers to run it as I don't have the time to do that myself. I have no doubt some ARC members will volunteer to run this GB and sort to all the details pertaining to it.

If anyone wants to run the group build and needs a hand with it, Ill pitch in.

--------

I know Matt was building or did build a 360th Revell F-15E and I have few gunfighters and squadron birds on my to do list.

Edited by Wayne S

Wash, it would work just like any other Group Build, except 5 sites (at my last count, maybe more?) would be doing it all at the same time

those that belonged to one site that Matt was a member on, would do their build there

those who new him on more than one board would either show the build on one site, on all of them,,,,or, ack,,,,,do a different one at each of the sites,,,,,,,that's not the option I'd choose, but it could be something to see

If the aircraft choices permit it, I'd do the HobbyBoss TA-7 in 1/72,,,,,,,that's one of the many kits that Matt "stood up for", and I didn't like the nose on, so I was going to change that,,,,,,but, for this, I'd do it just the way it's molded

we'd provide our own kit,,,,,,,and mine would sit on the shelf next to other NavAir aircraft,,,,,,just to have something to think of him when I look at the models there,,,,,,,,it (not likely) anyone asked about that nose,,,,,I'd tell them why it's built that way, and who it makes me think of

Aaron, your auction idea is a really great idea from mine and Anne's viewpoint, kudos to you for thinking of it,,,,,,my builds wouldn't raise much, I'm afraid

I still sit here at the keyboard and wish we didn't have to do this (hah, some writer,,,,,,can't think of a way to say it), but, I'm glad we are doing it, in whatever shape or fashion it turns out to be

Rex

I use 2 computers to work on ARC.

My computer for e-mails is working just fine.

But my other computer that I use to make webpages etc has been down most of this week. Fortunately I did have some content made up in advance and I've been able to continue to do daily updates. I hope to have my computer problems sorted next week. My e-mail machine runs on a very slow connection with a different ISP and that makes surfing the forums very time consuming (it can take a few minutes for each forum webpage to load), so I have not been following the ARC forums this week and instead I've left the ARC moderators in charge. I can't switch to my faster connection as all my e-mails run through the slower connection.

The ARC Super Mods are keeping me aware of any threads that need a response from me.

Well how do we get this started? Do I email you or PM Steve Filak? Ill run it, if someone wants to help fine.

My proposal::::::

Matt [The Rumourmonger] Roberts, Group Build.

People can build anything they want emphasis, to build a model that Matt talked about/showed/dealt with in "anyway" on the forum

There should be a thread for Matt (Matt's build thread) that people can post up links to threads of things Matt wrote about and his builds.

3 footer, 3 feet stand off modeling is "highly" encouraged.

Start date? ASP? end of group build 6 months? with option to carry it on longer?

--------------------------

My thought, it is his group build, we are in the group build, building with him, that is my reason for keeping the word "Memorial" out of the group build's title.

Edited by Wayne S

Steve

Does this mean we have the offical "go ahead" from ARC to do this?

I'm willing to step up and help with mod responsibilities on this one as well. I know that we are working on getting as many forums (in other words, not just ARC and Zone Five) on board with this as possible.

I think that we are all leaning towards an open build in honor of Matt. As Wayne said, he was a three-foot modeller, so there is no need to work a masterpiece here, although for the intents of my build, I'm going to try and do as well as I can to get as much money out of it as is possible. Whatever you wish to build in honor of Matt would probably be fine.

As soon as I get the offical okay from Steve, I'll get in touch with the people who need to be gotten in touch with, and start working on specifics as far as time, guidelines, etc.

Aaron

Hi folks,

I'm the Group Build Moderator over on Britmodeller, may of you will know me as Mish. I would be more than happy to try and get a multi forum GB running from the Britmodeller angle. We do have a very full calender of GBs on BM, but for something a bit special like this I would try my hardest to get it fitted in.

We have had some discussions on BM about running a tribute GB and I'm sure it will get good support. Not sure who organises GBs here on ARC but if they want to contact me I'm more than happy to get things moving.

Thanks

Big Bird aka Mish

Hi folks,

I'm the Group Build Moderator over on Britmodeller, may of you will know me as Mish. I would be more than happy to try and get a multi forum GB running from the Britmodeller angle. We do have a very full calender of GBs on BM, but for something a bit special like this I would try my hardest to get it fitted in.

We have had some discussions on BM about running a tribute GB and I'm sure it will get good support. Not sure who organises GBs here on ARC but if they want to contact me I'm more than happy to get things moving.

Thanks

Big Bird aka Mish

Welcome aboard Mish!

Thanks again for your support.

Mark

I'd certainly like to contribute to this GB. Matt was always extremely helpful when it came to modelling matters and always willing to help. Just before Xmas he kindly sent me a set of decals for my 1/48th Vought F-7UM Cutlass build that he had been following enthusiastically as the F-7U was a favourite of his. I mentioned that I didn't have a usable set for the build and in a flash he said that he had one going spare and would send it to me ASAP, which of course he did!..Though I offered to pay for the set plus airmail he wouldn't hear of it and so it duly arrived a week later. As way of a tribute to a very kind and generous fellow modeller I'd like to finish this one in his memory........Cheers Matt.

Steve

Does this mean we have the offical "go ahead" from ARC to do this?

I'm willing to step up and help with mod responsibilities on this one as well. I know that we are working on getting as many forums (in other words, not just ARC and Zone Five) on board with this as possible.

I think that we are all leaning towards an open build in honor of Matt. As Wayne said, he was a three-foot modeller, so there is no need to work a masterpiece here, although for the intents of my build, I'm going to try and do as well as I can to get as much money out of it as is possible. Whatever you wish to build in honor of Matt would probably be fine.

As soon as I get the offical okay from Steve, I'll get in touch with the people who need to be gotten in touch with, and start working on specifics as far as time, guidelines, etc.

Aaron

As I said in my earlier post.....

Matt was a much liked member on ARC and I have no problem with a GB on ARC honoring Matt Roberts memory.

Here's what I need

• List of Moderators for this GB (forum display names)
  • Dates for this GB (start and end dates)
  • Title of GB
  • Description of Group build (Planes that can be built etc.....Matt built a huge variety of models including Armor, so you may want to keep that in mind.)

Normally GB's are arranged months in advance as the schedule is quite tight, but out of respect for Matt, there will be an exception.

I'm bumping this back to the top of the queue to maintain visibility. Gotta make this happen soon...

Here's what I need

• List of Moderators for this GB (forum display names)
  • Dates for this GB (start and end dates)
  • Title of GB
  • Description of Group build (Planes that can be built etc.....Matt built a huge variety of models including Armor, so you may want to keep that in mind.)

Normally GB's are arranged months in advance as the schedule is quite tight, but out of respect for Matt, there will be an exception.