"USMC" RTO, Hue Vietnam 1968..

Hi all,

As well as modelling Aircraft, I also like modelling figures, and I have just completed this excellent bust by Young Miniatures.I don't normally do busts, I normally only do full figures, but this company has bought out a few that you just can't resist, they are superb.

The skin tones on this one could have had a bit more contrast, but I'll work on that with the next one.

I also have to thank Jason Miller from Arms Corps Models for the smoke grenade decals, they were a godsend for this build.

Anyway, here's some pics.

IMG_7334copy.jpg

IMG7344copy.jpg

IMG7358copy.jpg

IMG7369copy.jpg

IMG_7377copy.jpg

IMG_7389copy.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Edited by Gambler

Lovely work Jeff. :coolio:

The cloth looks very realistic, particularly on the helmet. How did you manage to get such a totally flat finish? Everytime I've matt coated a model it's always had some kind of sheen which looks wrong on cloth.

The dusty weathering is also very nicely done.

The wear on the handset of the radio gear looks brilliant and I'm mightily impressed by the chipping to the grenades and radio set. Smashing effects mate. :doh:

You mentioned about the contrast on the skin tones. The flesh looks good on my monitor. What did you mean by more contrast?

May I make a couple of observations?

I wonder how a darker red shade would look in the ear recess as opposed to black?

Also, have you ever experimented with any very light grey or very light buff shades instead of white for the eyes?

Thanks for sharing this one Jeff. I've picked up a number of tips and techniques from studying what you've done here. :cheers:

;)

I think it looks PERFECT...

the skin tones are perfect...I dont think you need to change ANYTHING at all.

YOU have the contrast and the flesh tones the way they should be..Not too dark and not too overly done..

The eyes are JUST AMAZING as is the whole figure head..

LOOKS STUNNING and you have done a SUPERB job on this....

The shadows in the orifices are just right and it contrasts with the helmet throwing/casting subtle small shadows on his face..

His demeanor is EXQUISITE !

VERY GOOD ! ;) :)

HOLMES :coolio::doh::cheers:

Edited by HOLMES

Wow, an Excellent Piece ...

The color palette you chose looks great to my eye ...

With the looks you gave him, I took him for being of Nordic or Aryan decent ... Very appropriate coloring ...

Love the details and the shading ... :D

Gregg

Thanks a lot for the comments everyone!....much appreciated. :D

Lovely work Jeff.

The cloth looks very realistic, particularly on the helmet. How did you manage to get such a totally flat finish? Everytime I've matt coated a model it's always had some kind of sheen which looks wrong on cloth.

The dusty weathering is also very nicely done.

The wear on the handset of the radio gear looks brilliant and I'm mightily impressed by the chipping to the grenades and radio set. Smashing effects mate.

You mentioned about the contrast on the skin tones. The flesh looks good on my monitor. What did you mean by more contrast?

May I make a couple of observations?

I wonder how a darker red shade would look in the ear recess as opposed to black?

Also, have you ever experimented with any very light grey or very light buff shades instead of white for the eyes?

Thanks for sharing this one Jeff. I've picked up a number of tips and techniques from studying what you've done here. :salute:

Thanks a lot Guy! :thumbsup:

Yeah, this is the first figure of this size that I have done, I usually work in smaller scales, mostly 120mm, so there are a few things that I have to try and fine tune a bit more if I do another.

With the contrast of the fleshtone, I thought maybe I could have shadowed and highlighted it a bit more, made the five a clock shadow a bit darker.Other figure painters tend to use much starker fleshtones, I think mine are too mild.It looks great in person, but it loses a bit in the pics.

The colour in the ears is a very dark brown, not black, mixed from red and black, looks a lot darker in the pics, but I have to say that ears are not my strong point, I do have to work on them.

The eyes, believe it or not are not pure white, but mixed from Humbrol Natural Wood to give an off white colour, but also do look quite white in the pics, I may have to go a bit dirtier in the colour next time.

Many thanks for the observations Guy, I always appreciate your input and advice, thanks for taking the time to comment. :thumbsup:

Cheer's fellas,

Jeff.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Gambler

Thanks a lot for the comments everyone!....much appreciated. :woo:

The eyes, believe it or not are not pure white, but mixed from Humbrol Natural Wood to give an off white colour, but also do look quite white in the pics, I may have to go a bit dirtier in the colour next time.

Instead of "wood" , with the blue pubils, a color theorist would likely recomend a pale creamsicle © orange toner in the same value range and slightly into the center of the color wheel ( slightly earthier than pale orange; there is propably a cat shade in the range I'm thinking). Outstanding work for all the reasons already mentioned. A great art piece to view and revisit again...like a museum. Wonderful that you posted it!

Phil M

Edited by Phil marchese
Instead of "wood" , with the blue pubils, a color theorist would likely recomend a pale creamsicle © orange toner in the same value range and slightly into the center of the color wheel ( slightly earthier than pale orange; there is propably a cat shade in the range I'm thinking). Outstanding work for all the reasons already mentioned. A great art piece to view and revisit again...like a museum. Wonderful that you posted it!

Phil M

Thanks a lot for the comments and input Phil, much appreciated! :jaw-dropping:

Yes mate, I model Aircraft, Armour and Figures, and I must say, figures are the most challenging, I am always trying to learn with them, and a lot of it can carry over to the other branches.

Thanks for the advice,

Jeff.