Light Ghost gray spraying issue?

Hi all, just wondering if spraying light ghost gray over a model kit, do you need to spray at least 4 to 5 layers before it turns out right? The color i am getting now is a bit blueish for some reason. Any tips would be greatly appreciated thanks!

What is the base plastic color, and did you prime first?

Even with a white base coat it turns out a bit blueish after 2 coats the base plastic color is molded in light grey

Edited by IGILAA

Hi, are you using the tamiya AS-26? that color is blueish in itself, no mater how many coats. If you set on rattle cans I would just live with it, since tamiya sprays are far superior than anything else out there IMO.

Light ghost does have a slight bluish tint. What brand are you using? Can you take a pic showing the color? Maybe a comparison with another build of a USN fighter to show the color issue?

http://s1133.photobucket.com/albums/m596/W...nt=SDC10480.jpg

Still can't figure out how to put pictures in here, can someone teach me how to? lol

The under fuselage is painted with Light ghost gray is it supposed to look like this?

Hi,

You can post pictures by doing the following.

1. On your photobucket page for the image you want to post, there is a box on the right hand side with the header 'Share this photo'. Copy the text field beside 'IMG code' and the url of the picture will be copied to your clipboard.

2. Paste the url into your post

3. Then surround that url with p><p>Note: Don

There is also a tutorial in the forum FAQ section. Posting Images Using Photobucket

Here is your image

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m596/Wong_Jerome/SDC10480.jpg' alt='SDC10480.jpg'>

Hope that helps!

As others said, Light Ghost Grey is supposed to have a slight blue tinge to it. Although I find that Tamiya's interpretation of Light Ghost Grey (AS-26) a bit... off. Used to use it a couple of times myself. In my case, it had almost blue-green tinge. Personally, my favourite Light Ghost Grey is Gunze's Aqueous Color H308.

As others said, Light Ghost Grey is supposed to have a slight blue tinge to it. Although I find that Tamiya's interpretation of Light Ghost Grey (AS-26) a bit... off. Used to use it a couple of times myself. In my case, it had almost blue-green tinge. Personally, my favourite Light Ghost Grey is Gunze's Aqueous Color H308.

Ok thanks alot, mind if you post some pics of how its supposed to look like? Is it supposed to look like what is in the picture? Thanks

As others said, Light Ghost Grey is supposed to have a slight blue tinge to it. Although I find that Tamiya's interpretation of Light Ghost Grey (AS-26) a bit... off. Personally, my favourite Light Ghost Grey is Gunze's Aqueous Color H308.

I find Gunze H308 to be slightly too dark. Model Masters Light Ghost Gray is almost an exact match to the color chip that I have.

Here is a pic showing Light and Dark Ghost Gray from the various acrylics:

ghost_grays.jpg

I find Gunze H308 to be slightly too dark. Model Masters Light Ghost Gray is almost an exact match to the color chip that I have.

Here is a pic showing Light and Dark Ghost Gray from the various acrylics:

ghost_grays.jpg

Ok thanks a bunch so i take it that the light ghost gray in the picture of the underside of the f 16 is inaccurate?

From your picture, it looks like you are building a modern F-16C. In that case the bottom colour is FS36270, and not 36375. Tamiya made a mistake in the instructions.

Oh ok thanks, how do i know if its a modern one of the older one? I have another tamiya F 16 which is the CJ one. Thanks

light ghost gray may be what it is out of the bottle but when you apple it to a model should always white it out a little

The color will lighten some if you airbrush it. It will lighten some more when you apply a coat of flat clear over it.

<snipped>

Interesting... I have tested spraying Lifecolor's and Gunze's Light Ghost Grey on a same item, just different sides, and found that I could not tell the difference between the two.

This gentleman did the best LGG/DGG camo scheme I've seen.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....&hl=phantom

He used Gunze. On pg 2 of his build, he says he lightened them with Gunze white. Also, if you notice his pics taken outside (pg 2, post #24), th LGG/DGG seems lighter than when taken indoors & almost indistinguishable between the two greys (esp the 4th pic from the top). Just like some of the real pics I've seen.

Btw, is Tamiya Light Ghost Grey (AS-26) spraycan (or all the AS series actually) an acrylic or enamel spray? Thanks :thumbsup:

Btw, is Tamiya Light Ghost Grey (AS-26) spraycan (or all the AS series actually) an acrylic or enamel spray? Thanks :)

One of the hobby shop owners here in Melbourne, Aust, once told me that it's acrylic pigment with lacquer as solvent. Maybe Triarius can confirm/correct this?

• 4 months later...

Hi all guys, tough it's been a long time since this last topic, thought i should let everyone know, I went to my local hobby store, apparently alot of his customers have complained about tamiya spray can LGG(AS-26) has a too much blue tint in it. So yeah, though i just let everyone know.......

<snip> tamiya spray can LGG(AS-26) has a too much blue tint in it. <snip>

I've used AS-26 in the past. I wouldn't say it has too much blue. In my eyes, it appears to have this *almost* light green tinge to it, which I find quite strange. Here's a pic of an Italeri "E" Super Hornet that I built a long time ago (it's now in "boneyard") that I sprayed with AS-26.

9018_164873257728_595897728_3570941_10766_n.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've used AS-26 in the past. I wouldn't say it has too much blue. In my eyes, it appears to have this *almost* light green tinge to it, which I find quite strange. Here's a pic of an Italeri "E" Super Hornet that I built a long time ago (it's now in "boneyard") that I sprayed with AS-26.

9018_164873257728_595897728_3570941_10766_n.jpg

Those are quite some nice builds there. Apparently I think the recent batch of AS-26 had this problem? Since according to him the pevious times ppl used it had no issues with it?

IMHO- the family of Ghost Gray paints is something Model Master actually got right. I just dont' like how their acrylic line sprays out of my airbrush :bandhead2: . In the past I used their enamels, which spray better for me.

However I have pretty much made the switch to acrylic across the board. I like the Gunze Acrylic versions but they are hard to get here in the US without ordering overseas.

Oh how I wish Tamiay acrylics would add these 2 very common colors in their range!