B-17F-95-BO 94 BG Idiots' Delight

Idiot's Delight, is another build on the cheap. I wasn't sure how effectively I could make the nose art come across. I m still not. It is exteremly small, smaller than the picture of the real plane would lead one to think. The nose art still needs some fine points to crisp it up and add some facial features. (and a picture in focus- but you get the idea) Also note the several flak patches in the area Here the angled cheek gun mounts, a mod center addition on the real plane were scratch built and offset with a post-production paint. A 1/48 build, a conversion set and decal sheet would make a great model...hint, hint Mike West)

As odd a build sequence as this is, it is how I started my F-7A The RIP SNORTER using an Aifix B-24J and by the end, I think the build looks better than many Academy B-24. ( see it at the Airfix Tribute site). The reason for the odd assembly sequence is discussed at my TINKERTOY post.

mms_picture.jpg

hhmms_picture.jpg

mms5_picture.jpg

Although not so evient by comparison here, the four upper Revell cowls had the leading edges sanded and smoothed slightly into curves with the material that was available. In person, they set the cowls apart from the stock kit parts enough to better suggest a refined shape. Note on the bottom cowl the shadow falls inside the opening while on the top four ther is a highlight on the soften curve.

mms_revell.jpg

forgive the image quality... cell phone pic.