Iranian 1/48 RF-4E new camo scheme

I alway being fascinated with Iranian RF-4E story. Here some references on the web

Project Dark Gene

Unknown Iranian

So I think now is a great time to start a build.My build would be a new blue scheme camo 2-6502 as per below

1476932.jpg

1472478.jpg

No aftermarket except perhap Quickboost 1/48 F-4 seats( If I could find a set).Decal would be from HDL and some left over sheet.

So far cockpit job is done.

p1230592.jpg

p1230593.jpg

Result after 3 hours of my crappy detail painting.How I wish I was a bit richer so I could afford an Eduard pre painted PE set!

p1230596.jpg

Till then!

Edited by musangpulut

guys, many thanks for the supportive comments,I really appreciated it! :rofl:

Here latest progress.

Cockpit is finished and ready to be installed

p1230686.jpg

p1230688.jpg

Camera installed too, not much will be seen once I close the fuselage.

p1230690.jpg

p1230707.jpg

I will close the fuselage by this night.Hope not much seams to be filled latter.

In unrelated topic, I also building another recce bird since last 2 months and now in primer stage. It was 1/72 MiG-25RB with pavla conversion.I think it will disqualified for this GB since it's more than 15% completed.Still cant decided whether to build it as Egyptian or Indian recce bird.

p1230702t.jpg

p1230704.jpg

Thank you for watching! :]

hey, nice paintjob so far in the pit! Maybe a bit drybrush and some scratchbuild of levers and oxygen hoses and you not really need the eduard stuff (you just need copper wire out of electric cables, CA glue, white glue, patience, calm hands and good detail pics of the pit)! Oh, maybe I should tell you the glue the IP of the WSO AFTER installing the pit into one fuse half. After closing the 2 fuse halfs, you can add detail on the rear of the WSO IP: round pieces of plastic, wire...looks busy!

Yeah, and we are in: I will send you a pair of resin bang seats and a little surprise you can need if you don't want to install a seamless intake set ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Here my latest progress

Due to heavy workload at work place, I was a bit slow in finishing a major assembling work.Fit was not so good especially on below cockpit & nose area.

p1230814e.jpg

p1230820.jpg

p1230822.jpg

Next is to paint a cockpit/canopy in black and spraying primer to check any seams left during assembly.

Special thanks to Tobi @ ToBiK for supplying a beautiful resin seats & intake cover.Definitely will change the look of this bird! I really appreciated it!

Now, should I paint the exhaust/metal area first or should I do the camo before painting the natural metal area? which is the best and less hassle for masking etc eh?

Cheers

Amzari

Do metal areas after the camo. Masking alclad or other metalcotes takes the risk of removing colorparts after demasking. Especially when the mask has to remain some days there. Advice for exhaust: humbrol polished steel for area behind the nozzles, shades of alu, stainless and steel on the vertical panels (alclad II or gunze mr. metal). Nozzles: humbrol polished gunmetal, after polishing more or less chipping with silver.

A good book for phantom phreaks: "Modelling the F-4 Phantom" Osprey Modelling.

I decided to paint metal areas after the camo.

So now major camo works are finished. I think I need to tone down the blue color? or the grey is too dark perhap? Any C & C are welcome!

b5ab4c94a5.jpg

a6dd27889f.jpg

89ffd42fc3.jpg

8a4f330a43.jpg

Edited by musangpulut

You took the colors due to Hi-Decals instruction? When you did so, maybe some subtile after shading...brighter and darker base color.

Good idea doing the NMF sections later!

You are really making progress! Wow! I m still busy finishing my 2 vipers....

Interesting project! However, I would take the acig.org information with a grain of salt as the two RF-4Cs mentioned were on loan to the IDF/AF (i.e. Israel) and not the IIAF (Iran). Pictures of the RF-4Cs confirm the Israeli colour scheme which is quite different from the Iranian one.

Jens

Looks very nice. The contrast between the two colours is quite low like on the real thing :cheers: .

What colours did you use? While researching Iranian Tomcats I came across the following colour callouts:

FS36622 Camo Grey (Gunze H-311)

FS35450 Air Superiority Blue (Gunze H-74)

Markus

Tobik - Yup, the reason I painted the metal area last is because to prevent metalcote peeling during demasking.Many thanks for the advise and please resume your hellenic bird! :}

Mikestomcat & JEN722 - Many thanks! I didnt plan to build that RF-4C since there is not enough info & photo of it for the references

Markus - Yup, I did test that gunze H331 before and it's look too bright.H74 is Sky Duck Egg Green and not related at all. For this build I use

Grey - Gunze H317 (60%) + Gunze H62(40%)

Blue - Lifecolor UA145 (70%) + Lifecolor UA113 (30%)

regards

Amzari

The best match for FS 35450 should be MM 2131, H311 gunze for FS 36622 is ok, but Hi-decal tells you for the grey to use FS 36440 = H315 gunze.

Whatever, now the painting is done! Maybe it looks the same now!?

How is the MiG-25 with pavla - does it fit?

I have it too, but I will built the Bulgarian bird from Cold War - it flew ocassionally recce misions slose tu Turkish and Greek borders. Decals are in Begemoth sheet.

• 1 month later...

After 1 month hiatus due to work commitment @ my office, I finished retuned the camo colors & painting all parts. Next is to gloss coat & decaling session.

Special thanks to Curt aka Netz for the color sanding technique, It's really work!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

88489406.jpg

14688264.jpg

Edited by musangpulut