ultrasonic cleaner

When it looks dirty, or there is grunge on the bottom.

For most cleaning, I just put in enough water to cover the parts, add a couple of hefty squirts of Simple Green (~1-2 Tbsp.) and run it for five minutes.

Do not let it run too long. many ultrasonic cleaners have tubs made of aluminum, and these can be etched by the combination of vibration and cleaning solution if allowed to run too long. The stainless steel tubs are much more resistant.

It's a cleaning product. Not sure what it's called in your part of the world, or if it would even be the same formulation.

You could also use Formula 409 or something similar, though the same caveat as to name and composition applies.

Windex is an excellent general purpose cleaner. However, be advised that it is mostly alcohol, with a small amount of ammonia. Ammonia will etch aluminum, and neither is anything you need to breathe. There may be a fire hazard if you allow the cleaner to run long enough for the solution to get hot.

thanks for the info. i have the one w/stainless tub in it. does the simply green clean do a better job of cleaning or is it cheaper than the fluid from micro mark? BTW what would be the IDEAL cleaning solution?

Windex is an excellent general purpose cleaner. However, be advised that it is mostly alcohol, with a small amount of ammonia. Ammonia will etch aluminum, and neither is anything you need to breathe. There may be a fire hazard if you allow the cleaner to run long enough for the solution to get hot.

IMHO, I don't think Windex is a fire hazard. At least the one sold here in Oz. If it was, by Australian law, the company would be obliged to put up a "flammable" sign on the label.

There's also a "Crystal Rain" Windex sold here that does not contain ammonia, which I've just started using to clean up my airbrush.

It also just occurred to me that you might've thought that I was suggesting to use undiluted Windex in the ultrasonic cleaner instead of water, which I wasn't. I was suggesting to add a few squirts of Windex into the water used in the ultrasonic cleaner.

thanks for the info. i have the one w/stainless tub in it. does the simply green clean do a better job of cleaning or is it cheaper than the fluid from micro mark? BTW what would be the IDEAL cleaning solution?

IMHO, Simple Green is one of the best general cleaners, and superior degreasers, available. Supposed to be relatively non-toxic and environmentally friendly, or "green" (ba-dong-bing!). I buy it by the gallon, and use it for everything except bathing. And it has to be cheaper than the one sold by $Micro$Mark$.

The ideal cleaning solution is the one that works and is least dangerous to use. In other words, there isn't one. However, my solution of last resort for cleaning just about anything is 1/3 water, 1/3 Simple Green, and 1/3 Windex with ammonia—sometimes called "Magic" in the scale modeling crowd.

IMHO, I don't think Windex is a fire hazard. At least the one sold here in Oz. If it was, by Australian law, the company would be obliged to put up a "flammable" sign on the label.

There's also a "Crystal Rain" Windex sold here that does not contain ammonia, which I've just started using to clean up my airbrush.

It also just occurred to me that you might've thought that I was suggesting to use undiluted Windex in the ultrasonic cleaner instead of water, which I wasn't. I was suggesting to add a few squirts of Windex into the water used in the ultrasonic cleaner.

The Windex itself, no. But if you heat it, how much isopropyl alcohol is vaporized? That could be a fire hazard. And vaporizing ammonia is not a good plan under any circumstances.

I wonder what's in "Crystal Rain" that is effective as ammonia for cleaning airbrushes.

And yes, I did think you were suggesting using undiluted Windex in the ultrasonic. Thanks for the clarification. Used that way, it should be relatively harmless, though the ammonia fumes are still a potential concern. Ammonia in vapor form can be extraordinarily dangerous stuff, especially in an enclosed, poorly ventilated area. Fortunately, it doesn't take much to stink to high heaven.

Edited by Triarius

I use a "double boiler" setup, with the bad chemicals, in this case lacquer thinner, separate from the water bath. The water transmits the ultrasonic waves nicely, and excess thinner goes in my brush cleaner jar.

Note the thinner below was crystal clear at the start of the cycle. The rest of the AB guts are in their too, just invisible due to the paint cloud. Just in case there were any doubters out there!

20110117104623679.jpg

Edited by MarkW
  • 11 months later...

Tim,

ALDI sell a small U/S cleaner for about $40. Used in conjunction with the bath method above and any homebrand lacquer thinners, it works well and at a relatively low cost.

On it's own it is also useful for jewellery and other small cleaning jobs around the house. The last is in case you need to justify it for SWMBO!!

Regards.\,