Hello, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place or not. I'm new 'round these parts and thought I ought to introduce myself.

I'm a "returnee" to the hobby of modeling, coming back at the ripe old age of 52 (at the time) when a serious injury to my left leg resulted in my being unable to pursue some of my more active hobbies. I was a avid modeler when I was younger, but drifted away from the hobby well over 30 years ago. Since coming back to modeling I've concentrated on ships, mostly in 1/350. Lately I've been hearing the warbirds call. I built a ton of them when I was a young guy modeling, but I haven't delved into them since I came back to the hobby.

I do have a life long interest in WW2 war planes, primarily American, but a beautiful plane of any nationality will catch my attention. I've been lucky enough to have a chance to fly in a restored B-17G and the experience was one of the highlights of my life, as was a war bird flight my wife bought me a few years ago, giving me a chance to fly in an AT-6 Texan. Wow!

I'm interested in learning the ins and outs of aircraft modeling from the folks on here. I'm sure there is a lot to learn. Some modeling techniques are universal and apply just as well to planes as to ships. But, planes also present their own unique challenges and issues and I'm sure there are probably things that I haven't even thought of that I will discover as I learn from the folks here.

I took the plunge this past weekend and bought my first airplane kit. Revell's old 1/48 B-24D. I know its not a "state of the art" kit, but in doing ships I found that starting with the latest kits was a double edged sword. Yes, the detail was great, but that same intricate detail and learning to use photo etch and resin for the first time could be a bit overwhelming. So, with that in mind I decided to go with an older kit in a larger scale and try to trick it out as much as my skills will allow. I ordered the Eduard BigEd PE kit which contains all of the Eduard PE sets for this kit. Should be quite a challenge and I'm anxious to get to work.

I look forward to getting back into war birds and expanding my skills and modeling experiences, as well as getting to know some of the folks here.

Bob

Let me be the first of many to Welcome you to ARC, where you are not alone there are a whole shed load of us returnees. This madhouse of miniaturized manglers has a lot of very very experienced folks who are here to lend a helping hand whenever one is needed. Enjoy your stay it's gonna be a fun ride ;) .

Have you ever been on a real shrimp boat?

Benjamin, a shrimp boat, no, but I did spend (misspend?) a summer many years ago crewing on a charter fishing boat out of Bilxoi, MS.. Quite an experience that convinced me to stay in school so I wouldn't have to do honest work and that I never wanted to own a boat! They truly are a hole in the water into which you pour money. The guy I worked for was always having to either do something to one of his boats or worse, have something done. I think his plan was to keep running charter boats until the money ran out. I did drink a few beers with the shrimpers that summer. A different breed of individual they are.

Bob

Guys, thanks for the welcomes. Don't worry, I think I'll hand around for a while. Its kind of nice to get my hands on some styrene that I can tell what it is without my magnifying visor! Anxious to get my BigEd set so I can do some building on that B-24D from Revellogram. Think I'll go home tonight and give the kit a good washing and throw some primer after it has a chance to dry.

Looking forward to learning more about these wingy things!

Bob