M3 Stuart 'Honey' (Academy 1:35)

This was my first build as an adult after a long absence from the hobby doin' other stuff like growin' up n' such.

So after seeing other people's work I got interested to try and start all over again now when I'm older and more relaxed. So I wen't looking at the local toy store and fell for Academy's M3 Stuart "Honey" in 1:35 scale. Well I bought it at 249 SEK and went home, dug out my old Humbrol stack and started to paint with brush om the sprues (I didn't own an airbrush back then). For a start I didn't like the meager paintguide in the instruction that doesn't refer to a specific brand and colornumber and instead just give you generic colornames and that strange greyblue color, arrrgh. Well it was just to do some research and did come up with using Humbrol #93, 31 & 30.

I did find the kit easy to build with good fitting parts, next to no excesive flash to scrape of and nice instructions. The decals though was bad, I had big trouble to get 'em to stick and had to paint the stripes on the sideskirts since they wouldn't stick. No wonder I had great problems with the decals as I didn't even know then that it's advisable to put 'em on a glossy surface. But still, the decals was bad, Academy bad...

Weathering was done with pastells and Terpinex as medium, applyed with a brush and rubbed off with a artist paper pen and cottonbuds.

All in all it took me 39 hours to complete the modell not counting my time researching colors.

The interior quite early during the construction.

interior1.jpg

interior2.jpg

Well it was way too clean so I went about and added some black pastell.

interior_dirty.jpg

The turret

turret1.jpg

turret2.jpg

turret_floor.jpg

The hatches, the hatch supports are thin copperthread that I took from my flytying gear. I also used copper to create a leatherstrap round the extra watercans in the back, flat medium copper tinsel from my flytying gear. You can see it on the pics of the finished modell.

hatches.jpg

McCoy

That is a beautiful "Honey"...

She looks GREAT and love the weathering and the paint job ..Very NICE indeed.

I LOVE the tracks...How did you make them and get to look SO real like that.....

AWESOME workmanship... :salute::taunt:

Edited by HOLMES