1/32 Tamiya F-4J, VF-74 Bedevilers

Having set up a bit of a photo-booth for my CF-18B build, I thought I would re-shoot a model I made 2 years ago which I photographed badly. The pics I took still haunt me, so I thought I would try to do the build justice by giving the pics another shot and maybe give me inspiration for my next project, a Vietnam era F-4E (maybe). I recall that this build was fairly straight forward and had the following stuff thrown together:

• Verlinden MB Mk7 seats.

• CAM decals (32-005) + a replacement set from another Tamiya kit since the ones I had fell apart.

• Aires resin engine/exhaust kit (AI-2009).

• Seamless Suckers.

• Eduard Big-Ed photo-etched detail set.

• Nautilus jig for wingtip correction to 12 ½ degrees.

• AIM-9D missiles from a Tamiya F-14A kit., since the kit ones are wrong for a Navy F-4.

This was also my second attempt at salt weathering, which I *may* have overdone, but I find it interesting nonetheless and it does match fairly closely some dirty Navy F-4 pics I have. After I last posted it, I heard from a couple of ex- Navy guys who said I did a fairly accurate job, but the pilot and RIO names were switched because Lt Chuck Heatley was really the pilot. The CAM decal instructions called for the placement this (wrong) way, so I had a good excuse. To make up for it, I bought Chuck Heatley's book, "The Cutting Edge", which is a great photographic journal of his time on an aircraft carrier flying F-14A's.

Anyway, here she is (Again)...

F4J-1.jpg

F4J-2.jpg

F4J-4.jpg

F4J-5.jpg

F4J-6.jpg

F4J-7.jpg

F4J-8.jpg

F4J-9.jpg

F4J-10.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3

Chuck, thanks for showing this one again... I really get to see and appreciate your weathering on this one this time around. Boy do I want to start my Phantom after seeing this!

Since I have been handing out tips lately and since you'll be doing an E soon, here's a handy trick I learnt a while back for doing old-style ejection pull "ropes": Take a thin thread of brownish yellow thread and another dark gray thread, twist them together so that they look just like that rope, and then apply some thin superglue. I think you'll like the result.

Cheers,

Marcel

Since I have been handing out tips lately and since you'll be doing an E soon, here's a handy trick I learnt a while back for doing old-style ejection pull "ropes": Take a thin thread of brownish yellow thread and another dark gray thread, twist them together so that they look just like that rope, and then apply some thin superglue. I think you'll like the result.

Cheers,

Marcel

Thanks for the tip- I'll definitely try that. For the above seats, I used pics from the Ejection Seat site which are really good, but not typical of line jets because the seats are brand new. That's why they are so bright and yellow. Your method sounds like the ticket, just like your "Rustoleum" trick for making good looking walkways, which I'll use again on the new F-4E build.