Wolfpak's First Release of 2011

Gents:

A couple of new decal sheets from Wolfpak:

Sheet 72-041 has: a T-38C from the 469 FTS, an OA-4M from H&MS-42 in a Harrier type paint scheme, an OA-4M from H&MS-12 in the TPS scheme, a F-16C from the 134th FS, Vermont ANG, and a bevy of tankers. You have the option of three KC-135’s from the 22nd ARW, 931st ARG at McConnell AFB. One has the multi-point refueling, one is equipped with a refueling receptacle and one plain jane. Additionally there are optional markings for a KC-135R from the 916th ARW at Seymour Johnson AFB and a KC-135T from the 92nd ARW wing at Fairchild AFB.

Sheet 72-042 has: a F-16C of the 93rd FS, Makos in their show scheme for 2010, the squadron commanders AV-8B of VMA-214 Blacksheep, an A-4M from the Blacksheep, a S-3B in a commemorative scheme from VX-30 and a C-27J, still in Army colors from the 179th AW in Mansfield, Ohio.

I anticipate these decals being on sale in a few weeks assuming the package are moving normally thru the system.

Mark S.

SHT72-041ColorInstructions.jpg

SHT72-042ColorInstructions.jpg

Any chance for the A-4M and OA-4M decals in 1/48? The Hasegawa 1/48 OA-4M is inevitable, so might as well make decals now.

Btw VMA-214 was never based at Alameda

I don't know if there would be much interest in a 48th scale sheet. Yes, VMA-214 was never based at Alameda but that is where the picture that I used was taken. Should I just list their home base?

Mark

Yes, finally we have good decals for the OA-4M in 72nd scale. And two choices to boot! Ditto for the A-4M. Thanks man!

I know nothing about the C-27J. Can the new Italeri kit be built out-of-the-box as a USAF variant?

Edited by thegoodsgt
I don't know if there would be much interest in a 48th scale sheet. Yes, VMA-214 was never based at Alameda but that is where the picture that I used was taken. Should I just list their home base?

Mark

hmm i guess it could be put on hold now. but a Hasegawa 1/48 OA-4M is inevitable and at that time you must!!!

Gents:

Thanks to LanceB. I went with the caption from the photographer without thinking. Good catch.

I'll revise the instruction sheets before I send them off to the printer and replace them in this post as well.

A quick look at the instructions and the sprues of the C-27J kit I'd say that you may need to scratch build a couple of the T antennas but nothing more.

BTW just got a restock of DIRCM's and they should be back on sale on the website in a day or two.

Mark S.

Nice new set of sheets Mark. Will you have any more centennial aircraft on future releases?

Keith:

You'll see a few on upcoming sheets. Any in particular that you would like to see?

Another thing you might want to double check on the instruction sheet is the paint callout for the Harrier. I believe it should be FS35237 for the bottom color, not FS36375, on the new two tone scheme.

Rank11:

The lower color on the Harrier in the photos I have is definitely not FS 35237. That color is the medium blue-gray used in the F-14 TPS scheme. It's much to dark. In comparing the photos to others and looking at the contrast between it, the gunship grey and white of the landing gear it appears to be light ghost grey. I have seen some verbiage suggesting as you have the color number but it doesn't hold up well against the photograph.

Mark S.

Edited by Mark S.
hmm i guess it could be put on hold now. but a Hasegawa 1/48 OA-4M is inevitable and at that time you must!!!

NO NO NO - DON'T put on hold, please!

I am dying for 1/48 markings of OA-4M's, and these schemes are some of the coolest around!

If nothing else, print one set for me!

:salute:

Rank11:

The lower color on the Harrier in the photos I have is definitely not FS 35237. That color is the medium blue-gray used in the F-14 TPS scheme. It's much to dark. In comparing the photos to others and looking at the contrast between it, the gunship grey and white of the landing gear it appears to be light ghost grey. I have seen some verbiage suggesting as you have the color number but it doesn't hold up well against the photograph.

Mark S.

In all the pictures I've seen and seeing the new paint job in person at Miramar last year, it is most definitely FS35237 underside, the same topside F-14 TPS color. There are pictures of 165421 and others, including a perfect underside shot, in the 12/10 issue of AFM where you can clearly see that it is a much darker shade than FS36375 used underneath. In the picture of the underside on page 52 of that issue, you can contrast the underside color with the FS36375 on the guidance unit and tailfin of an LGB that is being carried on that aircraft as well.

If I can make the search engine work for me, I will try to link to a previous thread here where someone posted a copy of the tech order for this paint sheme showing FS35237 as the color of the underside camouflage and topside markings/stencilling. The TwoBobs "Yuma Nightmares" and "Gunship Harriers" sheets also call for FS35237 as the underside color.

Edited by Rank11
In all the pictures I've seen and seeing the new paint job in person at Miramar last year, it is most definitely FS35237 underside, the same topside F-14 TPS color.

Could it possibly be a non-standard paint job? Neither one of these photos of the plane in question appear to have a 35237 belly; the color appears much lighter. Click here and Click here. Also more pictures here. IIRC there was some trial and error before they settled on the definitive version of the camo scheme.

Cheers,

Dennis

Edited by Dennis the peasant
Keith:

You'll see a few on upcoming sheets. Any in particular that you would like to see?

I'm a fan of all of the blue over gray schemes, and some of them I want to build in 1/48th, but I know I would prefer to build the S-3 and EA-6B in 1/72nd due to their size and kit availability. So I'm glad to see you have the S-3 taken care of.

Could it possibly be a non-standard paint job? Neither one of these photos of the plane in question appear to have a 35237 belly; the color appears much lighter.

Cheers,

Dennis

FS36118 is a pretty dark color. When you put FS35237 next to it, you can easily think that it is FS36375. Even more so in pictures where a digital camera is used to focus on a bright object in the foreground with a dark object in the background. I certainly wouldn't use that picture of the Marine standing in front of the Harrier to try and determine the FS colors of that plane. The other picture of the jet has the photographer shooting at the shadowed side of a predominantly FS36118 object....of course the FS35237 will look almost white when the camera has to set its aperture wide open. The other pictures of the VMA-214 plane in the ARC thread you linked to is in much better lighting and pretty clearly shows that the bottom is FS35237.

Anyways, again, look up the December issue of Air Forces Monthly. Look at the picture on page 52 of the bottomside of a Harrier banking away where you have a known object painted in 36375 that is laid against the bottom side of that plane and you will see that the bottom is not 36375. And check out the TwoBobs sheet for this plane for the camouflage colors.

Edited by Rank11

Okay I got a brush and some Model Master paint. The test coupons compare from top to bottom gunshp grey to:

light ghost grey, dark ghost grey, neutral grey and FS35237.

I still think the relative contrast between FS 36118 and FS 35237 is closer than what I have seen in the pictures. Guess it's the 30 plus years in auto industry paint shops as an engineer that keeps me questioning it. I do think the spectral characteristics of 35237 is closer to what is in the photos than the all but possibly dark ghost grey. In absence of the T.O. or a photo with the actual govenment paint tst coupons held up to the jet I'll say that the color is a lightened variant of FS 35237. Rank11, if you have the goods send them to me at mark.bilas@millcreekcconsultants.com

Regards,

Mark S.

1-20-2011195851.jpg

Great looking decals Mark! Based on the sprue shoots I have seen, there are several items that would have to be scratch built, or maybe someone would be willing to cast (hint, hint) them. The US C-27's are sent to Waco TX, for upgrade to the JCA standard. US C-27's have several additional antennas, SATCOM, INMARSAT, and a different RWR/MWS suite, than the other C-27J's out there. Still waiting for the USAF markings to be done.

• 3 weeks later...