Best Fw 190's and 190D's in 1/48

Need some help here guys. I'm not much of a WWII builder but I'm wanting to possibly build a FW 190 and/or the 190D for a change of pace. Can someone tell what the best kit is. I'm leaning towards Eduard but I've heard both Tamiya and Hasegawa are good also. I know on Hasegawa and Tamiya their decals aren't the best so if you can also tell me if the kit ones need replacements and if the Eduard ones are any good. Thanks for the help.

Hi EFO: IMHO for the FW-190 A´s I´ll go for the Hasegawa´s ones (in fact, I did that), in fact they´re superb kits and more easy to build than the Eduard´s Antons, for the D however´I got the Eduard ones, they´re more simple to build (not like Eduard´s Antons) anbd offers you a superb finish. Considering decals, Eduard´s don´t need aftermarket ones, for Hasegawa, it depends, some say yes, some say no, I´ll stick with Hasegawa´s decals, they have improved them a lot. HTH.

Best,

Juan

About the decals: Eduard decals are generally very nice and easy to work with. However, I also haven't had any problems at all with either Hasegawa or Tamiya decals. I recently used the box decals for a Tamiya Fw-190F-8 with great results. Just two things that may have helped (1) where it could easily be done, I trimmed away the excess decal film (not everywhere - I was too lazy) and (2) I used Gunze Mr Mark Setter and Softer - these always gave me great results with both Hasegawa and Tamiya decals. In fact, even the spinner spiral and the yellow nose band lied down perfectly on the Fw as if they were painted on.

Can someone tell what the best kit is.

If your definition of "best" means fit and ease of build, I'd recommend:

A/F/G:

Tamiya Fw-190 A-3,

Tamiya Fw-190 A-8 / F-8,

Hasegawa Fw-190 A-5, -6, -8

Hasegawa Fw-190 A-3 ,-4s have been criticized for poor fit

Eduard Fw-190 A/F series is very detailed, which makes them difficult to build (esp. when buttoned up)

Trimaster / Dragon Fw-190As have some fit problems

D:

Tamiya Fw-190 D-9 is certainly the easiest build.

Trimaster / Dragon / Italeri and Eduard Ds have their quirks, so they'd be lower on my list.

Accuracy is another matter.

HTH

I will start with : It depends .....

For a beginner i would choos the the shake&bake kits from Tamiya, but the Fw 190 D-9 is not inaccurate its wrong in the wheel well section. The A-8/F8 or the F8/F9 kit is superb and with the latter you will get some ground crew, but expensive.

The next manufacturer for a beginner should be Hasegawa.

For advanced modelers and experts i would recommend the Eduard kits overall. A bit tricky, ok, but for the half of the price of a Tamiya kit you will get a model with a complete engine section, open weapon bays. A bit of criticism are for the Fw 190 D(ora) : the shape of the canopy is not 100 %

Another point for the Eduard and Tamiya kits are the wheels. Tamiya has the right diameter but the wrong size (thickness), Eduard has the right size but the wrong diameter.

my 2 cents

greets

Thomas