1/32 Tamiya F-4E post-Vietnam- Kicked up a notch.

Unbelievable beautiful work! Very motivating and useful. This is the most beautiful Phantom I've ever seen. All of your models are artworks. Thank you for the awesome work. :salute::worship:

Thank you sir, although by the looks of your early work on your big F-14D, I'm sure yours will come out looking just as nice or better!

The November issue of FSM is coming on October 2. As usual, the FSM article is a fragment of what I submitted, but it's still 6 pages long with 36 pics and there's a "Part 2" coming in December, which might be another 6 pages? Not bad....

FSMNovember12.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3

I saw that Phantom in my FSM November preview, and I was thinking I'm nearly sure that is Chuck's Phantom!! I think that P-51 of yours might find it's way to the published media as well Chuck as it's looking GREAT...and thanks for all the tips as you go along, much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Whoo Hooo! Front cover of the December issue right after being in the November issue! I don't know about the "Master Modeler" label, but it's sure nice to be recognized for the ton of work that went into this build. :rolleyes: Sorry for bragging, but it is a little exciting for a nerdy modeler whose wife still thinks he's nuts for playing with little pieces of plastic.... :lol:

FSMDec12-3.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3

Thanks Guys!

I bet some of you wonder why I'm acting so surprised. When you submit an article to FSM magazine and they accept it, you know NOTHING about what is going to happen to it from that point onward- and it can take up to a year for it to be revealed in whatever form they choose. My other FSM article of my 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster wound up in a "Build Better Aircraft" Special issue, which came out of nowhere. Getting a "Cover Shot" is a big deal, because they have so many great modelers submit good articles and they are trying to create a product that has instant buyer appeal at the news stands. I've noticed lately that there is a big trend to armored vehicles on their covers, so I wasn't surprised when "Part 1" in November had another tank on the cover, just like the prior 5 of 9 back issues. Thankfully they went back to an aircraft for December. :thumbsup:

Also, even though you submit a write-up with your photographs, they change almost everything, so you have no idea what they will keep, throw out, or completely alter. I look forward to seeing the December issue myself, because I really don't know what's going to be inside. :huh:

I got my copy of FSM in the mailbox today: I was very pleased and happy to see your Phantom on the cover!

Yes, it didn't take me many seconds to recognize it and I must say that it sure does deserve the cover!

Chuck, you did such an immense work on her that not many models would be more appropriate for a magazine cover...

Anyway: congratulations for a well deserved recognition of an awesome job! Looking forward to read Part 2...

/Kristian

• 11 months later...

Bump, at Marcel's request. For some reason this thread has been lost in the new conversion, so hopefully this will restore the link. If you did a Search using "chuck540z3" in this forum, this thread and my CF-18B build were missing. This has restored that search, while the Hornet remains "lost".

Edited by chuck540z3
  • 2 weeks later...

A SPECTACULAR build Chuck... :thumbsup2::punk::clap2:

I have enjoyed your modeling and Congratulations on making it into print... :salute:

It's a most GORGEOUS, PHABULOUS PHANTASTIC PHANTOM I have seen in a very long time.. :wub: :wub:

Sir you are a Master of your art.... :wave:

Spectacular build! By chance does anyone here have a lighting diagram forthe Phantom? I am going to light one up and i figured this would be the best place to ask since this seems to be the definative build/research thread!!!

What exactly are you wanting, exterior or interior light? Exterior there are white/clear lights on the rear of the fin cap (the lens is frosted white inside), rear of Door 19 (clear lens) and a white light/clear lens under each intake. There is the red anti-collision beacon on the vertical fin leading edge that has two bulbs in tandem. The white lights and anti- collision beacon all flash simultaneously about once per second, in a pattern like a saw-tooth waveform. By that I mean they're bright then fade, bright then fade. They are never completely dark as I recall. You should be able to find videos on Youtube to show what I mean. The flashing lights could also be set to steady burn for air refueling.

There are colored nav lights in the wingtip leading edges and formation lights on the wingtip trailing edges, red on the left and green on the right. The green light lenses look bluish green with the lights turned off. The nav and formation lights are steady burn only.

Edited by Scott R Wilson

Spectacular build! By chance does anyone here have a lighting diagram forthe Phantom? I am going to light one up and i figured this would be the best place to ask since this seems to be the definative build/research thread!!!

Interior lighting was red lighting in all the gauges, and red lights inside the plastic overlays on the side console control heads. The red light glowed through the white lettering and markings by all the switches and knobs (and through the scratches in the black parts of the overlays). There were two white flood lights in each cockpit, mounted on the sidewalls just behind your elbows when you were in the seat. Those lights wouldn't ordinarily be used by the crew as they ruined your night vision. The rear scope video was green when it was on, the front scope video was orange but could be changed to green but usually wasn't. RHAW scope video was also green.

There were red and amber lights in the caution light panel to the right side of the front cockpit main panel. There were also some small green lights on the IFF control head in the FCP, and on the UHF control heads in both cockpits. There were also some small colored lights on the INS control head in the RCP.

Edited by Scott R Wilson

Interior lighting was red lighting in all the gauges, and red lights inside the plastic overlays on the side console control heads. The red light glowed through the white lettering and markings by all the switches and knobs (and through the scratches in the black parts of the overlays). There were two white flood lights in each cockpit, mounted on the sidewalls just behind your elbows when you were in the seat. Those lights wouldn't ordinarily be used by the crew as they ruined your night vision. The rear scope video was green when it was on, the front scope video was orange but could be changed to green but usually wasn't. RHAW scope video was also green.

There were red and amber lights in the caution light panel to the right side of the front cockpit main panel. There were also some small green lights on the IFF control head in the FCP, and on the UHF control heads in both cockpits. There were also some small colored lights on the INS control head in the RCP.

hi scott, thanks for e response! Do you have any info for the exterior lights, like the red light in the tails leading edge, did that flash or was it constant? Thanks!!

• 1 year later...

Here's a shot I took just after arriving at Ramstein in 1983. Our runway was closed so we had most of the jets deplyed to Zaragoza, Incirlik and Decimommannu. A few were flying out of Zweibrucken, where I took this photo:

68-0388512TFS86TFWJune101983ZweibruckenScottRWilson.jpg

Here's the CAP-9 blown up and brightened enough to see it has blue wings:

68-0388ScottRWilson.jpg

It seems by 1983 at Ramstein they had a mix of blue body and wings/white seeker and ghost gray body/wings, white seeker with blue bands. I don't know what they had in 1980. Here's some more photos:

69-0278RamsteinSept181985ScottRWilson.jpg

69-0278ScottRWilson.jpg

68-0440RamsteinOctober281983ScottRWilson.jpg

68-0459RamsteinAugust161983ScottRWilson.jpg

68-0527ZaragozaJuly121983ScottRWilson.jpg

68-0534ZaragozaJuly191983ScottRWilson-1.jpg

A blast from the past resurfaces again! Thanks once again for the kind comments. What strikes me as I skim through it again, is how much Scott Wilson helped all of us with his reference pics, many of which had never been see before. I really like the first, second and fifth pics above, showing how weathered some Phantoms could look, which is generally the look I tried to replicate. I've taken some heat from fellow modelers over how weathered I made this model ("Only Navy jets are that weathered!") but pics like this confirm it isn't so over the top after all.

Edited by chuck540z3

I have 5 seats to compare as indicated below....

Seats1.jpg

The kit seat on the far right didn't have a chance, so I didn't bother building it. The next one to it's left is a mystery seat I had in my stash (Verlinden maybe?), the finely detailed Quickboost/Aires seat is next, a TAC Scale that looks pretty good is next, followed by the Avionix seat that we already know is wrong. The mystery seat looks just weird

??? it's the Reheat seat... I've one of those and his shape is unmistakable :rolleyes:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=56372

Edited by Alpagueur

A blast from the past resurfaces again! Thanks once again for the kind comments. What strikes me as I skim through it again, is how much Scott Wilson helped all of us with his reference pics, many of which had never been see before. I really like the first, second and fifth pics above, showing how weathered some Phantoms could look, which is generally the look I tried to replicate. I've taken some heat from fellow modelers over how weathered I made this model ("Only Navy jets are that weathered!") but pics like this confirm it isn't so over the top after all.

I was only too glad to help. You did such a marvelous job on that Phantom! I'm proud to have had a small part to play in its creation.