1/32 Tamiya F-4E post-Vietnam- Kicked up a notch.

It's nice to know, that after 1,000 - 2,000 hits after each of my posts, 2 people feel moved enough to comment each time. I'm not looking for praise as much as a little feedback other than from Scott all the time. Apparently my detailed photography is boring, so I'll "kick it up a notch" and only post major steps without pics of every step of how I got there. This takes a lot of time and effort away from actual modeling, so I'm sure my progress will improve dramatically.

Thanks for your continued interest in this build.

Don't be discouraged from the lack of responses as I'm sure lots of people like myself have been thoroughly enjoying your build but not commenting.

I don't know why others aren't commenting but my excuse is that I barely have time to even look at the pictures and only occasionally find the time to read the text.

It'd be a bummer if the picture count were to drop...

No feedback other than I'm lovin it! (and I'm amazed that there is actaully a use for Testors contour putty! :P )

:cheers:

Back to work for me now...

Don't be discouraged from the lack of responses as I'm sure lots of people like myself have been thoroughly enjoying your build but not commenting.

I don't know why others aren't commenting but my excuse is that I barely have time to even look at the pictures and only occasionally find the time to read the text.

It'd be a bummer if the picture count were to drop...

No feedback other than I'm lovin it! (and I'm amazed that there is actaully a use for Testors contour putty! :P )

:cheers:

Back to work for me now...

I have to agree with Zacto. I read every post you make, but I don't reply. You're work is beyond impressive and well, I'm not on the same level so I don't say much. Please keep posting your progress.....the F-4E Has I have packed in a box will need your help in the future!

Same here :) I read all of your posts but do not reply on each. The hits counter is a reliable indicator of how much people enjoy the build.

I wouldn't be annoyed by the lack of responses. I know how much effort it takes to post, but be honest : you do it as much for the readers as you do it for yourself, because you like to show your excellent work.

Keep the head up and let the posts come. Everything is fine when there is fun.

Really great seeing your work practice and your methodical skill. Lots of inspiration for better modelling. Please carry on the great photos and progress. Love the detail in them flaps amazing how something that simple can look so superb.

+1 awesome :)

Thanks Guys,

It's nice to know, that after 1,000 - 2,000 hits after each of my posts, 2 people feel moved enough to comment each time. I'm not looking for praise as much as a little feedback other than from Scott all the time. Apparently my detailed photography is boring, so I'll "kick it up a notch" and only post major steps without pics of every step of how I got there. This takes a lot of time and effort away from actual modeling, so I'm sure my progress will improve dramatically.

I agree with everything everyone else said; I also love seeing the photos of how you accomplish each detail. I'm not much of a modeler, but I can sure learn from your innovations, and hopefully someday build a much better model by imitating your techniques. Also, I think people might be a bit reticent about adding comments even though they enjoy your postings very much. I belong to a couple of aircraft photography groups, and most photos posted don't get but one or two comments. I think people think (as I generally do) that too many "wow, great photo" posts are time-consuming for the rest of the group to read and don't really add anything of value. Maybe I should re-think that.

Chuck, if you give me a heads-up on what assemblies you are going to tackle next, I could post whatever reference photos I have ahead of time and save you some re-work. Do you still have my private e-mail address? Shoot me a private e-mail if you don't want to post that info here.

Scott W.

Chuck - I have to fall in line with some of the previous comments. I can't offer advice because I know little about F-4s, but I watch builds like your to come away with a new technique or a shortcut to a problem I may be having. Keep up the good work.

Sorry for the Drama Queen post guys. It's just that all this photography and posting of explanations of each step takes about 25% of my time on this build, so if I don't get any feedback I think I'm wasting my time. Apparently not- and thanks for your kind words of encouragment. I needed that!

Scott, after I deal with outboard wings, I'm going to open up the front gun area so that the drop down vent access door at the back hangs down like it should at rest. I'll also be detailing the exposed part of the gun itself as a result. This will be the newer gun with the pointy protrusion up front.

Next will be the windshield installation. Are there air vents in front like an F4J?. Last major step will be the tail and drag chute, which will also be opened up. If you have any pics of these areas, please post them here so that everyone can learn at the same time I am.

No more whining, I promise!

Edited by chuck540z3

... so if I don't get any feedback I think I'm wasting my time. Apparently not- and thanks for your kind words of encouragment ...

I think many may be the same boat as me. Most of the time I'm in so much awe of your work, I'm lost for words. :worship:

Keep posting. You're a great teacher, and I'm learning a lot from your posts. :salute:

Chuck, impressive and down right ballsey work on those wings! Haven't seen that conversion done before. Will you repeat it one days for an F-4G :D

Yeah, don't know why people don't provide more responses, the forum is, as far as I am concerned, supposed to turn what is otherwise a lonely hobby into something more social, but that only works if it's a two-way street.

Cheers,

Marcel

Scott, after I deal with outboard wings, I'm going to open up the front gun area so that the drop down vent access door at the back hangs down like it should at rest. I'll also be detailing the exposed part of the gun itself as a result. This will be the newer gun with the pointy protrusion up front.

Next will be the windshield installation. Are there air vents in front like an F4J?. Last major step will be the tail and drag chute, which will also be opened up. If you have any pics of these areas, please post them here so that everyone can learn at the same time I am.

All F-4s to my knowledge have the rain removal vent just forward of the center windscreen. I think it was modified for the one-piece windscreen that was put on a very few F-4Es and Gs just before their retirement, but it's the same on all versions with the three-piece windscreen. The air conditioning/defogging vents inside the windscreen are likewise the same as far as I know.

Here's some photos of the outer wing. I think I have some more, I'll have to check later. I've got several good photos of the open gun bay and interior of the gun bay door that ought to be useful. I'll put those up soon.

Scott W.

Outboardslat.jpg

Outboardslat2-1.jpg

Scan902.jpg

Scan1086.jpg

Scan1084.jpg

Scan899.jpg

F-4F--wingtip-1.jpg

Edited by Scott R Wilson

Gold indeed as those gun pics bring back memories from my days on CF-104. The layout was a little different but the parts are familiar, the automatic oiler (yellow part), the firing lead and even one of the breach blocks can be seen. Anyway back to the issue at hand, continued great work Chuck, have you decided what you’ll be hanging from the pylons yet?

Jari

Gold indeed as those gun pics bring back memories from my days on CF-104. The layout was a little different but the parts are familiar, the automatic oiler (yellow part), the firing lead and even one of the breach blocks can be seen. Anyway back to the issue at hand, continued great work Chuck, have you decided what you’ll be hanging from the pylons yet?

Jari

No Jari, much like my indecision regarding which F-4E to build, what hangs below the pylons is still up in the air. Scott's pics of a PAVE SPIKE are tempting, although I'll have to scratch build one of those since nobody makes one in 1/32. Do I see Mavericks alongside this pod in the pics? I have some of those.

Also, to clarify a bit my complaint earlier of lack of feedback, I'm not looking for just praise, although that is always appreciated. Endless posts of "Great Job!" can be tiring, I know. As Marcel pointed out above, our hobby can be lonely since most folks don't get it. Feedback and conversations with fellow modelers are what we seek when we do a WIP thread, since they take a lot of work to pull them together. This may be why some only do WIP work for magazines. You get paid for it and it's goes on the newsstands for all to see. Not a bad gig.

The very best feedback is from those who know the aircraft I'm building inside and out. Scott is a fantastic resource for this build, just like you were Jari on my last CF-18B. Your feedback within these threads benefit everyone equally, so we all thank you for your responses!

No Jari, much like my indecision regarding which F-4E to build, what hangs below the pylons is still up in the air. Scott's pics of a PAVE SPIKE are tempting, although I'll have to scratch build one of those since nobody makes one in 1/32. Do I see Mavericks alongside this pod in the pics? I have some of those.

68-0393 with a Pave Spike pod, Zaragoza AB, Spain on July 19, 1983 (my photo):

68-0393ZaragozaJuly191983ScottRWilson.jpg

Pave Spike pod on 68-0348 at Nellis AFB, my photo taken November 1982, note the stub pylon built into the pod is attached to the missile well adapter that is also used for ECM pods:

PAVESPIKEon68-0348NellisAFBNovember.jpg

Pave Spike pod on 67-0276 at George AFB, March 6, 1983 (my photo)

PaveSpikeon67-0276March61983GeorgeA.jpg

Edited by Scott R Wilson

If you are thinking of going with a Pave Spike, perhaps you could add an inert (blue body) GBU-10 Paveway I on one of the i/b pylons. Since you are going with a Post Nam version the Paveway Is were being used up for training missions. On the other i/b pylon you could add a SUU-21, i have some info on the MN-1A/SUU-21, that may be of some use.

Jari

Can't compete with Scotts knowledge but this is a great thread.

I can understand that it is difficult not to get much else than "great" and "good job" but to be fair, most people love to watch and don't even bother to comment. Life is full of vouyeurs. Not through lack of interest in the build or subject, but rather through the lack of energy and time it takes to make an effort in posting on discussion threads, bearing in mind that whatever is written is set in stone for the world to pick holes in.

Once bitten twice shy as they say.

To be fair, most voyeurs are content with just that. You provide the content that voyeurs crave. There is no need to obtain comment, silence is just as golden. Look upon silence as stupefaction. Most are incapable of putting into type what their minds and mouths would easily blurt out.

To be frank, I have watched this build with much interest since it's inception. I think the model itself is well researched and, with Scotts help, it's going to be very accurate. Your mastery of the various disciplines in modelling is nothing short of spectacular.

If I was gifted with a fraction of this ability then I would be a very happy man.

Thanks Guys,

Sorry you feel that way. Your thread is on my list of must-read topics every time I come to ARC. Given your work is beyond anything I have done and I know next to nothing about the F-4, the only thing I could add would be repetitive "great job", "awesome work", etc, etc.

Between your work and the fantastic pictures Scott has put up, this is THE F-4 thread on ARC. I'd hate to see it change.

John

OK Guys, I've sulked long enough and some of this stuff is way too cool to keep to myself. :rolleyes:

I bought the Revell kit as a donor kit for stuff like the outboard wings and whatever else I could scrounge from it. Much like the rest of the kit, the outboard wings on this kit (middle) are poor in detail and they don't even have hinges on the bottom where it attaches to the main wing. They do, however, have some of the correct panel lines near the leading edge, which I need to add later....

Outboardwing1.jpg

The outer part of the wing shows how different slat winged F-4E's are from the older hard wing version, with different formation and navigation lights. I'm going to use the clear lights from the Revell kit, rather than just paint the Cutting Edge wing....

Outboardwing2.jpg

As shown before, the biggest challenge of the Cutting Edge outboard wings is the resin shrinkage of the hinge. I had no idea how others have fixed this before, because there's no way it will fit the kit wing without a big mess....

Outboardwing3.jpg

I found some similar builds on the 'net that showed how others cut the entire front and outer edge of the Cutting Edge wing and re-attached it to the kit outer wing. I think I have an easier idea. By just cutting out the hinge and replacing it with the kit hinge, you get basically the same thing with way less work. Here's my modified wing on the left with an unaltered hinge on the right, looking at the bottom...

Outboardwing5.jpg

By doing it this way, I kill two birds with one stone. As everyone knows, the dihedral of the outer wing on the kit is WAY too much, probably 25 degrees or more. Here's how the kit wing would fit without alterations. Many a terrific Tamiya F-4 build is spoiled with "Flying Nun" syndrome....

Outboardwing4.jpg

To fix this angle, you need to trim the bottom of the outboard wing. When cutting and inserting the kit hinge, you should also cut off a thin strip of the resin like I've indicated in red below. Note the one on the left is already a bit thinner.....

Outboardwing6.jpg

Next up, you need some sort of jig to get the angle to approximately 12.5 degrees. I really doubt that anyone can tell 11 degrees from 15 degrees, but the key is to get the angle down and to make it uniform. "Nautilus Models" makes such a jig from wood, which I bought a few years ago for my F-4J build, here:

http://nautilusmodels.com/32-802.htm

It seems like a great idea, but for the life of me I can't get the sucker to fit the entire aircraft. As a result, I don't recommend it. Since all that matters is the wings, I basically broke it in half and taped the jig to the wings directly....

Outboardwing7.jpg

This should get you close to 12.5 degrees, but like I said before, whatever you do on one side, make it the very same for the other....

Outboardwing8.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3