I've heard some people around here say that Play-Doh is great for filling in wheel wells, cockpits, etc. that you don't want painted. My question is this - does it matter if it is colored or not? I can find all this funky neon crap, but I can't seem to find just regular Play-Doh. I didn't want to buy any just in case the colored stuff left a residue or would muck something up.

I've had much better luck with "Silly Putty". Certainly not oily and doesn't taste near as salty. Oops, did I say that out loud? :worship::worship:

Seriously, SP leaves no residue, and keeps longer. :thumbsup:

Happy modeling,

Jim :thumbsup:

OK, this may be way out there, but I was thinking of trying cooked spaghetti noodles on the edges of masking tape instead of blue-tac :thumbsup: My thinnking is that I can never seem to get the roll of BT to stay perfectly round, while applying it I always seem to flatten it out somewhat.

Think about it - while the noodle is still wet (damp), apply it and then wait until it dries awhile. The starch in the noodle will make it stick in place then spray away!

Have I lost my noodle????

Wally

OK, this may be way out there, but I was thinking of trying cooked spaghetti noodles on the edges of masking tape instead of blue-tac :thumbsup: My thinnking is that I can never seem to get the roll of BT to stay perfectly round, while applying it I always seem to flatten it out somewhat.

Think about it - while the noodle is still wet (damp), apply it and then wait until it dries awhile. The starch in the noodle will make it stick in place then spray away!

Have I lost my noodle????

Wally

hi hi excelent idea. Please report after you try this. :thumbsup:

Silly Putty will leave an oily residue if left on too long....(day weeks?).....i ruined a paint job learnign that lesson. Blu Tac is my choice now.

PlayDoh dries out. Use Blu Tac....it's sticks very well.....no oil residue and doesn't dry out.

But wet kleenex is still handy in certain places.....cockpits etc. Pack Kleenex in dry using tweesers or other small tool....add drops of water with eye dropper to Kleenex in wheelwell or cockpuit.....and go from there.

Steve B

Silly Putty will leave an oily residue if left on too long....(day weeks?).....i ruined a paint job learnign that lesson. Blu Tac is my choice now.

PlayDoh dries out. Use Blu Tac....it's sticks very well.....no oil residue and doesn't dry out.

But wet kleenex is still handy in certain places.....cockpits etc. Pack Kleenex in dry using tweesers or other small tool....add drops of water with eye dropper to Kleenex in wheelwell or cockpuit.....and go from there.

Steve B

Where do you find Blue Tac?

I have found something similar to it in Zellers.

Where do you find Blue Tac?

I have found something similar to it in Zellers.

Scooby, I've never been able to find it in Canada, however, there's other alternatives (variations on the name). Mac-Tac, Sticky-Tac, etc. Just drop by your local Staples or Michael's and ask for mac-tac putty. They'll know what you're talking about.

I was fortunate...our home office is in the UK, so I arranged for a bulk shipment of "office supplies" to Canada.

If you want some, drop me an email with a mailing address. I'll be happy to unload some.

I bought mine at a local office supply store. Mine is light blue in colour but it is not called "Blu Tac". It has the consistancy of chewing gum after you've used the gum for about 2 minutes. The "Blu Tac" is not as sticky as chewing gum. I believe it's used for tacking posters to wall so you don't have to use nails or thumbtacks. I believe it is also handy for securing items to shelves in earthquake areas.

It might not always come in blue.

Steve B