Revell A319 BMI version

I have just bought this kit and am fairly new to modelling - now I have taken a look at it I'm not sure if it will be too difficult for me. The top half of the plane has to be painted blue and it curves all the way around the plane. I'm ok with asking and painting straight lines but this looks like it will have to be done freehand with no guidelines.

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to paint this? Am tempted to sell it back on ebay and get the BA version as this looks easier.

rmgairbus4200.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Don't sell the kit. Just get some different decals if the BMI version is beyond your abilities right now. However, the only way to build a skill is to practice it! Actually, I find masking straight lines on airplanes to be much harder, since they are a mass of compound curves. Getting straight lines to stay straight is very hard. This scheme would give you a lot more wiggle room. Try some Tamiya (brand) masking tape and just use a thin strip to mask the curve, then fill in with larger pieces. It might be a lot easier than you think!

J

Thanks for the reply's guys, I might have a go at it - if not where would I be able to purchase an alternative set of decals? Are there online shops that sell decals?

Up to now I have been painting by brush but am guessing that if I am going to take this up as a hobby I should invest in an airbrush of some sort as I'm sure you guys will have. :jaw-dropping:

hi

i have done the A319/320/321 in the bmi livery for masking i would recomend the the really thin about 2mm width masking tape that you can bend arround corners i got the best result using that .

similar to this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Masking-Tape-Micro-4...=item53e56b6bbf

As for the Blue take no notice of the Revell colour guide i got the best match by mixing Revell 52 with a little bit of white

paint the model all white first then mask off the blue

heres a picture of the finished A321 model i did using 2 sets of Revell decals

BmiA321-2.jpg

BmiA321-1.jpg

hope this helps

Richard

That looks great! - I hope mine turns out that good. How did you paint the blue - did you brush or spray? Also - did you fill the window holes in before painting?

Thanks for the advice by the way :whistle:

yes i always fill the windows its better then you get the correct window configuration using the window decals , i sprayed it using my Airbrush , you will get a lot better finish Airbrushing than brushing it on

Richard

Is there a way to strip the paint off plastic models? I wasn't sure if this was possible.

Also, I glued the top and bottom wing sections together but there seems to be a thin gap on the rear at either side where the flaps are - I'm not sure if this should be there because there are small raised pieces of plastic inside the wing itself that hold it there, but wasnt sure if should have ground them off prior to glueing - any ideas? If not I will have to fill them.

Hi there!

I'm not quite sure what you mean by raised pieces inside the wing - are you referring to the locating pins on the lower wing section? The two wing halves should fit together snugly with no gaps at the flaps. The assembly should look something like this:

A319wing001.jpg

Or do you mean at the trailing edge of the inboard flap where the upper and lower halves meet? If you have a gap here then it should be filled as the inboard flap is one piece.

Also, to correctly represent the A319 wing configuration (as above) you need to make sure you remove the small flap fairings and fill the lines for the double slotted flaps. These are only seen on the A321 so need to be deleted for the rest of the family:

SAwingcorrection1.jpg

On to the painting, the blue can be matched by using the provided decal on the kit's sheet. It's the big triangle near to the RH fin logo. The colours on the sheet are a dead on match for the actual livery (I have paint swatches) so can be safely used for mixing your own. The Ensign red on the cowlings and horizontal stabiliser is identical to Xtracolor X014 Red Arrows red.

To strip paint you can use various chemicals; the most popular is oven cleaner but various others are used: brake fluid, other cleaners or something like Modelstrip http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MODSTR01 . If you have a look round the Tools & Tips forum there's plenty of options listed.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions on the kit just ask away!

Jonathan

If I had known last week I would have taken a lot of photos for you, BMI has a maintenance hangar next door and one was in....... if you need their 737's with the baby on or the new baby design that is not a prob, also the 320 321's are doable, one in paint at the moment. BTW the A320 shown has no registration on it?

I had no idea that building a model from a box would be so complicated - I noticed in the instructions that it said to remove the small flap fairings and couldn't understand they would put them there and then instruct to remove them. I guess they need cutting off with a knife - not sure how neat I will be able to make them look.

On the note of filler I was going to purchase a tube of the humbrol model filler - is that any good or should I go for something different?

Thanks for the advice so far - think I will need to purchase some more stuff before I continue - need a weight for the counterbalance, a new modeling knife, filler, an airbrush - not sure if to go for a small one that attaches to a can of propellent of if to invest in an electric compressor - any advice on this?

Cheers :worship:

Revell uses the wings for their other 'Bus kits, and the A321 has the extra flap fairing. Not too hard to remove. You can cut them off, then use a sanding stick to smooth everything out. I bought a pair of cutters from the hardware store for about 5 bucks and they are great for removing parts from the sprues or cutting things like flap fairings off of models. Here is the expensive one from Micro Mark. Mine looks just like that for less than half the price:

http://www.micromark.com/PROFESSIONAL-SPRUE-CUTTER,9277.html

Not sure about the Humbrol filler. You'll get about 500 different opinions on the best filler. Squadron's shrinks as it dries, so you may need multiple applications. I wouldn't be surprised if Humbrol's does, too. Some people like 3M's glazing putty for cars because it doesn't shrink as badly. Any of these should be used in a well-ventilated room. You should apply thin layers, because the solvents will attack the plastic and soften it. A two-part epoxy putty can work well, too. It's just more labor-intensive to use. For tiny cracks or scratches, I use liquid typewriter correction fluid. Dries fast and sands easily.

I'd avoid the cans of propellant. They get cold as you use them, which very quickly lowers the line pressure. You'll get a lot of opinions on compressors, too. I use a noisy 2-gal hardware store bargain because I'm a cheapskate. :worship:

Helpful hint for white airliner models: if you can find some, prime with Tamiya's white primer from the rattle can. It covers well, dries fast, and you can mask over it and go on with your next color. It saves you the step of priming, then going back with multiple coats of gloss white.

HTH.

Ben

The canned gas is an expensive way to go, you can pick up a cheap airbrush and compresser on evilbay, though I still use a hairy stick for painting, for spraying your airliner, what about a rattlecan if you wish to go that route? modern acrylic paints though tend to dry flat without much brush marks though, a coat of an aerosol varnish to seal it also helps in that department.

There are many types of filler so I will leave that answer to those that no, some wet and dry and a sharp caft knif is a good move though :worship: additive isn't it......

Remember we all can make my mamma hates me up's at first, but we learn from them and you will be supprisded how quick that happens.

I see you both have different coloured wings, one Boeing light grey and also BMI dark grey, both are correct as I think it was £10 grand per wing to put them in the Boeing colour so several of them were left in the old scheme colour as no one looks at the wings :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Am starting to make a bit of progress with this now - first sprayed a coat of white gloss using a Humbrol rattle can....

p1010336c.th.jpg

Then masked using 2mm masking tape and painted the blue with a brush, just need to tidy the edges up a bit, but it's getting there and the blue wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

p1010337q.th.jpg