G'day. have a hasegawa 1/32 A4 E/f. im certain we used the G models off the HMAS melbourne. my question is this. I know the G model had different air intakes and a "bent " refuelling probe... but what other major differences were there? on my instructions it shows there is a small radar? lump under the nose, its also displyed on my aftermarket decal sheet, but on the video i will post there is an abscence of it... any help would be appreciated....

love watching the water after the first A4 takes off.... wicked!!! also some good footage but it has no sound... Love the way they "chock" up the front to get the catapault under the nose wheel....

i was just going off the info on the destructions for that one " In 1961 the A4E recieved the J52-P-6A engine as the major modification from the J65 engine of the A 4G. It has a modified air intake shape because of the new powerplant" .. If its not noticable then im not going to worry!! Thank you for the link, have got some history on that particular markings that its done in, am going to try to do the red/white checkertail No 876 got my decals from Aussie decals in all grey top white underbelly... that link is gold thank you again... P.S.... heres the history of that paticular aircraft...." Formerly A-4G N13-154903 with Royal Australian Navy, coded 882. First flight from Douglas factory at Long Beach on 19 July 1967. BOC with RAN on 31 July 1967 and served with No.805 and No.724 Squadrons. Withdrawn from RAN service on 30 June 1983 and stored for sale. Ferried from Nowra to Ohakea on 20 July 1984. Converted to A-4K by RNZAF. To No.2 Squadron, Ohakea. Damaged in mid-air collision with NZ6210 during Kiwi Red practice on 24 October 1989. Repaired and returned to service on 17 November 1990. Served with No.2 Squadron, Nowra 2001. Crashed near Nowra, NSW on 16 February 2001 while conducting practice of plugged barrel roll with NZ6213 hooked up. The aircraft flew into thick bush and exploded. Squadron Leader Murray Neilson killed and aircraft written off.

i was just going off the info on the destructions for that one " In 1961 the A4E recieved the J52-P-6A engine as the major modification from the J65 engine of the A 4G. It has a modified air intake shape because of the new powerplant" .. If its not noticable then im not going to worry!! Thank you for the link, have got some history on that particular markings that its done in, am going to try to do the red/white checkertail No 876 got my decals from Aussie decals in all grey top white underbelly... that link is gold thank you again... P.S.... heres the history of that paticular aircraft...." Formerly A-4G N13-154903 with Royal Australian Navy, coded 882. First flight from Douglas factory at Long Beach on 19 July 1967. BOC with RAN on 31 July 1967 and served with No.805 and No.724 Squadrons. Withdrawn from RAN service on 30 June 1983 and stored for sale. Ferried from Nowra to Ohakea on 20 July 1984. Converted to A-4K by RNZAF. To No.2 Squadron, Ohakea. Damaged in mid-air collision with NZ6210 during Kiwi Red practice on 24 October 1989. Repaired and returned to service on 17 November 1990. Served with No.2 Squadron, Nowra 2001. Crashed near Nowra, NSW on 16 February 2001 while conducting practice of plugged barrel roll with NZ6213 hooked up. The aircraft flew into thick bush and exploded. Squadron Leader Murray Neilson killed and aircraft written off.

I worked on that aircraft (NZ6211) and new Muzza from my time on 75SQN.

i was just going off the info on the destructions for that one " In 1961 the A4E recieved the J52-P-6A engine as the major modification from the J65 engine of the A 4G. It has a modified air intake shape because of the new powerplant"

That looks like a typo. The A-4E was developed from the A-4C and one of the biggest differences was, indeed, the engine and intakes. Another was the length of the nose. The A-4G was developed from the E, not the other way around, and definitely never had the J65.

Another possible typo is that the original J52 was, I think, the P-8, not the P-6, but I could wrong. I often am.

Edited by pigsty
I worked on that aircraft (NZ6211) and new Muzza from my time on 75SQN.

i hope i didnt offend ... i just found that on the RAAF website... be interesting to work on an aircraft.... being just a mechanical fitter myself I once had the chance at TAFE to apply to be an aircraft fitter.... didnt have the 10 000 bucks to pay for the course but.... my jaw hit the floor when the teacher told me that.... that is apparently just for the first year... no refund if you fail.... I dont know if he was yanking my chain or not....

That looks like a typo. The A-4E was developed from the A-4C and one of the biggest differences was, indeed, the engine and intakes. Another was the length of the nose. The A-4G was developed from the E, not the other way around, and definitely never had the J65.

Another possible typo is that the original J52 was, I think, the P-8, not the P-6, but I could wrong. I often am.

no your probably right... i copied that straight off the front page of the hasegawa instructions.... just wanted to check... thanks for all the help really appreciate it.

In fact there are almost no external differencies between A-4F and A-4G. Of course, A-4G lacks some ECM (small antennae under nose and tail) and communication (hump) capabilities of A-4F, but as of avionics hump, there was no such on early A-4F (but they all were retrofitted before delivery), and bent probes also retrofitted on many A-4E and A-4F in service. Moreover, half of all A-4G were originally A-4F (BuNos 155051, 155052, 155055, 155056, 155061, 155062, 155063 and 155069), first served with USN (even in Vietnam), refurbished and sold to Australia in 1970.

So you have a right kit, take a look at photos of particular ac you want (you can find them also at : http://www.flickr.com/photos/41311545@N05/ . It seems there are photos of all Aussie Skyhawks and other naval planes (and ships, of course)) and go!