Tamiya Pzkfw II Ausf. C

Here is my Tamiya Panzerkampfwagen II Ausf. C; 6th Panzer Division, French Campaign (1940)

This is my second armor and like my 5th big boy build. Someone said my last armor was not weather enough . . . so this one has been through several mud pits.

I appreciate the kinds words, but any feed back would be welcomed - I just find that people on ARC are friendlier than on other forums!!

164865_10150106592843489_778013488_6133541_536054_n.jpg

167692_10150106592733489_778013488_6133538_7003797_n.jpg

166629_10150106592763489_778013488_6133539_2417148_n.jpg

167615_10150106592808489_778013488_6133540_1217713_n.jpg

it is one of tamiyas oldest offerings now and to some degree showing its age

but the thing is , it is still good !!

weathering can be very tricky to get to look right although yours is a good effort wet and dry together is vey difficult to pull off convincingly

you have the wet mud on top of dry but without rivulets and water runs into the dry areas

particularly on the wheels the last one i did there was dry mud flicked onto the bodywork but wet mud on the running wheels and flicked up and around

most shots it is hid behind the scoutcar but you get the idea

finnisheddiorama009.jpg

finnisheddiorama007.jpg

finnisheddiorama011.jpg

@Tornado

- Yeah, I know they say you are your worst critic, but it was definitely hard to get the wet mud over dry mud thing to look right and to be honest I am not completely happy with it. I thought of putting some wet mud on a brush and just shoot air at it to get a spatter/flicked up effect. But, did not want to over do it. I still may give it a try and see what things look like.

@Bun - I have used washes before. Believe it or not there is actually a light dark wash on the thing but when I put the dry mud pigments on top it kind of minimized the dark wash effect.

I also noticed that the color modulation I did with the various panels in using a slightly lighter color of the Panzer grey was not as apparent after weathering.

Just be mindful about how high your "splashed" mud and splatters go. If you look at construction equipment, the everyday use shows that the top areas of the chassis can be relatively clean. This even holds true for most 4x4 vehicles though I have seen vehicles that look like they have been dipped in mud.

As mud splatters the higher but thinner layers dry off quickly whilst the lower and thicker layers remain somewhat wet (and darker)

Here is my 1:72 Italeri (Esci) PzI Ausf B. I used various techniques to lighten panels to break up the single colour panzer grey and created a dusty weathered look.

pz1b-01.jpg

Weathering is pretty subjective really. What looks good for you will not necessarily rock the boat of another AFV modeller

Edited by madmike

Shinai.

That is amazing build..and I love it..Nice work..Beautifully rendered ..I like the

weathering et al

KUDOS ! :banana:

HOLMES :banana:

{p.s Tornado{Paul}, Madmike,Nice builds too..Paul a lot of diorama thingy going on there..you have been busy mate !}

Edited by HOLMES

Thanks for the additional feedback. Since I am still new I thought I would experiment some more. After looking at some old photos of very dirty tanks I redid some of the splatter and this is what I ended up with. Again it may be a little excessive, but it is fun just trying things out.

163894_10150107345648489_778013488_6142468_367604_n.jpg

Edited by shinai

That's much better now. The fine thing with AFV's is that you more or less can't have too much mud on 'em. It's all up to the builder n' what he/she want to accomplish with the build n' mud can be used to good effect for hidin' stuff that didn't turn out so well. Personally I find it harder to build birds than tincans but what looks to be the most difficult thing to build in my eye is cars, all that gloss n' shiny paint scares me...