Borat to play Saddam Hussein

Brooks's first feature film, The Producers, was a dark comedy about two theatrical partners who deliberately contrive the worst possible Broadway show. The film was so brazen in its satire (its big production number was "Springtime for Hitler") that the major studios would not touch it, nor would many exhibitors. Brooks finally found an independent distributor, which released it like an art film, as a specialized attraction. The film received an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay. The film became a smash underground hit, first on the nationwide college circuit, then in revivals and on home video. Brooks later turned it into a musical, which became hugely successful on Broadway, receiving an unprecedented twelve Tony awards.

My italics. Not a film that I enjoyed greatly myself, not really my thing, but the performances by Wilder and Mostel were impressive.

peebeep

Tell me, when all you guys signed up to play the "parcel-of-ironically-loveable-bitter-old-curmudgeons," did you even have to audition?

Perhaps it's a Blue Monday hangover. And I'm talking about the date, not anything related to New Order. Because back in my day, that was music, not like the stuff you hear these days...

Cheers,

Sean

one coudl argueing using the mel brooks approach that satirism is the ultimate form of defeating an dictator or any other unplesant subject (check out four lions) by denying him the respect they so desperatly seek.

not a fan of SBC movies (early TV borat was fun) but i do see the irony considering how many love 'achmed the dead terrorist' - which to me is in the same leage of humor. ;)

Perhaps it's a Blue Monday hangover. And I'm talking about the date, not anything related to New Order. Because back in my day, that was music, not like the stuff you hear these days...

Cheers,

Sean

I've heard the elderly bewail any kind of music after, say, 1960. But--and I've said it on these boards before--if nineteenth century German composer Richard Wagner were resurrected today, he'd totally be into death metal. A bunch of long-haired, tattooed, dark-clad warriors grinding out noise on industrially-powered instruments while their buxom, plate-mailed lead singer, Brunhilde, bellowed away about battles between the Norse gods, would appeal to him entirely. He'd think it was the logical next-step beyond his own work. Remember, this was a man who subjected people to over four hours of opera. He was entirely comfortable with inflicting pain on audiences in the name of art.

quote "If Chaplin can do a Hitler like dictator" This film was produced before the war, and before the Holocaus was put into effect. Indeed, in those days, both Hitler and Mussolini were considered comic opera characters by the general populace, no one could even think of the horrors Adolf would introduce. (krystallnacht, Guernica, etc not withstanding). Hal Sr

one could argue using the Mel brooks approach that satire is the ultimate form of defeating an dictator or any other unpleasant subject (check out four lions) by denying him the respect they so desperately seek.

I agree.

After the First Gulf war, Saddam was ridiculed in "Hot Shots" and "Hot Shots Part Deux"- I thought these were a gas back in the day. I recall he had a lisp too, which just had me in stitches! :soapbox:

After the First Gulf war, Saddam was ridiculed in "Hot Shots" and "Hot Shots Part Deux"- I thought these were a gas back in the day. I recall he had a lisp too, which just had me in stitches! :soapbox:

In the second movie, he pretty much had the opposing lead role. He was in the movie more than Topper Harley's love-interest (who's screen name escapes me. I just remember her joke: "A horse walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Hey, why the long face?").

Saddam had his own attrocities as well. There was the war with Iran, the gassing of the Kurdish population (anyone remember the photo of the dead parent with a dead child in his arms on the sidewalk in a town that got gassed?) and the mass graves that were found after Iraqi Freedom. The Ba'athist party was founded along similar ideals of rule to Hitler's Nazi party. The guy was a piece of work and I have NO problem with having a laugh at HIS expense because we can't exactly take a gun to his head now that he has assumed room temperature. Besides, even General Schwarzkopf had a laugh at his expense at the end of Desert Storm when he told the press what Saddam WAS NOT as a military man (he said it serious, but the comedy was in the irony of the statement).

And yes, I also heard about SBC supposedly being cast as Freddy Mercury in a Queen movie. He could pull off such a role quite well dramatically as he has about the right build for it and can act with the proper dramatic personna.

This will definately not be on my to watch list. I am sorry but the only movie that Sacha Baron Cohen was good in was Madagascar as the Lemur King.

He was quite good in "Sweeney Todd", I thought. Otherwise I find SBC's own projects such as Borat and Bruno to be appalling (and not because I'm old).

Ironic.....

The irony to me is that we are free in the west to make a comic movie about dictators. This may not be your cup of tea, but at least you are free to not watch it, just as he is free to make it.

Who here has seen "The Great Dictator"? I think it's great! If you get a chance to see it, I recommend it.

I also liked "The producers". I saw that as insulting to Nazis. What is more insulting then to be made so silly that people laugh at you, and what you stand for?

Curt

I guess I'm in the minority for sure of people who snicker at SBC's comedy. It would be a stretch to say I'm a fan, but I certainly enjoyed some of his stuff. I quite enjoyed Borat, and chuckled thru the whole thing. Comedy is a tough sport. What one person enjoys, the next person considers completely moronic!! There's some, so called, comedians that I find just absolutely brutal.....yet others double over laughing at them. My example is Jack Black. He's very famous, and have a massive following - yet I feel he's a total flake with not a funny bone in his body. So it's all in personal thing. I haven't seen all of SBC's work.....but the main stuff I have seen, I've been entertained.

There's some, so called, comedians that I find just absolutely brutal.....yet others double over laughing at them. My example is Jack Black. He's very famous, and have a massive following - yet I feel he's a total flake with not a funny bone in his body.

I agree - completely unfunny. And totally miscast in King Kong. I doubt there's anything he could be in which his appearance would constitute an improvement.