Gents:

Had to do a rethink on my planned entry's paint job. ( A Harvard IIB) and have decided (in the interim) to forge ahead with another entry. An RCN Grumman TBM-3E. I had started one using the Aires interior set and when I received the Scoobie-do Productions TBM-3 conversion set I started cutting the fuselage in the appropriate areas and realized that the Aires set need not be used as Scoobie-do had provided the necessary interior for the TBM-AS3 and 3M series. SOOOOOOOOOOOOO I obtained another Hasegawa TBM-3 and I removed the Aires set from the cut fuselage and am now using it on a new "turreted" 3-E fuselage. Confused?

Research Materials at hand:OnCanadianWingsGroupBuild002.jpg

Decals:

OnCanadianWingsGroupBuild004.jpg

Aires stuff:

OnCanadianWingsGroupBuild007.jpg

OnCanadianWingsGroupBuild.jpg

Hasegawa kit:

OnCanadianWingsGroupBuild005.jpg

Alvin5182

• 3 weeks later...

Gents:

A little progress. I wired the engine (it made my eyes hurt a lot.)

OnCanadianWingsGroupBuild009.jpg

Fuselage "buttoned up" and some paint

CanadianWingsGroupBuild001.jpg

Wheels and bomb bay doors

CanadianWingsGroupBuild004.jpg

Progress is slow but steady...............kinda like the plane.

Alvin5182

Looking good Al. Nice progress. My eyes would be crossed at least and probably both in the same socket trying to do the wiring job you did. Looks sharp.

How is the Scobie-do resin stuff to work with? I have a couple of sets of 1/48 scale Sabre 6 slatted wings from him. They look good but I have no idea about how much surgery will be required to make them fit. Any issues about the quality of the casting, such as air bubbles or warpage?

Keep it up!

Mike

Mike:

the Scoobie Do stuff is for my next project. The interior on this one is Airies. the Scoobie Do interior stuff is a bit "lumpy", not really detailed as such but Vic Schuerman did a two part article in the IPMS magazine on building it and he basically says that once the interior is painted (a dark grey colour, it really all disappears under the canopies. The Airies stuff pretty well does the same. A shame to lose all the great detail.I've started to cut the fuselage for the extended canopies and they fit "right on' . I read an article on Hyperscale about the sabre wings and the reviewer (James Craik I believe) that the wing replacement is a straight drop in. No cutting!

Al

• 1 month later...

A little more progress on the Avenger

Added some small intakes/exhausts on the fuselage behind the turret. Masked and painted the canopy ( tiresome ordeal), got the wings on and some painting has started. This is being brush painted with Sea Blue Gloss (Humbrol) so it's a bit of a time consuming ordeal. Paint a few sections and wait 2-3 days for it to thoroughly dry (as hard as a rock) then paint a few more sections. Wonderful "authentics" paint from the stash.

OnCanadianWings001.jpg

OnCanadianWings018.jpg

Alvin5182

• 1 month later...

Nice job, Al. She looks great. Are you going to have to remask the canopy to get the same dull finish all around or did you dell coat it when you painted it?

Mike

Mike:

Just pondering what to do with the canopy. It was a beyaaatch to mask for paint. I may just leave it as is going on the premise the "erks" would keep that area polished. For some reason I'm not having much luck with Micro Mask of late.

Al