F3H-2 Seat Query

I'm nearing the point where I can complete the cockpit before closing it up to paint the airframe. I'm a little confused about the colors used on the McDonnell-built seat. In photos the head box appears to be black, but I wonder if the rest of the seat is the same gray as the cockpit interior. All of the online color references I've found involve the MB seat, which is not what interests me. What colors are needed for the headrest and grab handles? The Airwaves p/e instructions call out olive drab for the belts. Is this correct?

Thanks.

I have the Ginter book on the F3H, but unfortunately there are no close-up photos of the McDonnell seat. However, you can see glimpses of it in several wide-shot photos, and some appear to be gray while others appear to be black. The headrest appears to be black in all cases. I went with a gray seat, black headrest, and olive drab belt on my Demon.

When Navy cockpits went from black to dark gull gray (March 1954), the company-furnished ejection seats seemed to have followed. Note that this was before the change from a blue exterior to light gull gray/white and the substitution of the all-black Martin-Baker GFE seats. However, there are instances of all-black ejection seats in gray/white airplanes early on, including the F3H-2s. Nevertheless, I think it would be safe to go with a gray seat (black headrest pad but gray headbox) if you don't know for sure and it's a -2, as opposed to a -2N or -2M.

F3HSelf-Boarding.jpg

The Demon I'm representing is a VF-64 F3H-2 from 1958, if that helps. From photos I've seen of this particular aircraft, the head box appears to be black, but that could be due to lighting issues.

The Demon I'm representing is a VF-64 F3H-2 from 1958, if that helps. From photos I've seen of this particular aircraft, the head box appears to be black, but that could be due to lighting issues.

Ah, well if it looks black, then it's likely that it was an all-black seat. Factory new -2Ns and -2Ms had all-black seats in May 1957 for sure. The gull gray is fairly distinctive relative to the cushion on the head box.