Best Looking Modern Jet Fighters Poll

Best Looking Modern Jets Poll  

193 members have voted

1. 1. What is best looking Lightweight Fighter?

• F-16
    • F-18 A/C
    • Mig-29
  2. 2. What is the best looking Heavyweight Fighter

• F-14
    • F-15
    • F-18 E/F
    • SU-27
  3. 3. What is the best looking generation 4.5 fighter?

• Gripen
    • Typhoon
    • Rafale
    • J-10

I think this post was meant for fun. I do not believe the author intended to start a debate what is modern and what is not. Just pick from the list what you you think is the prettiest airplane. I for one am disappointed the F-4 wasn't on the list. Is it modern? I don't know but it wasn't on the list so I picked from the ones that were. Done.

F-18

F-14

Gripen

Were my choices in order on the polls.

The best looking jet fighter of all time?

The F-104 Starfighter. Nothing else in my opinion even comes close.

Canadian Tigermeet painted ones looked the best of all.

Edited by Les / Creative Edge Photo
I defined modern as jets built in the wake of lessons learned in Vietnam. Aircraft that have "modern" avionics, advanced radars/weapons, and can really turn and burn. So that means the F-14 and later, and including all other fighters built to compete with them. Also, remember that the F-14D was extremely capable, was retired less than 5 years ago, and even at that was retired primarily because of maintenance and operating expense. I also realize the A model 'Cat was underpowered, but that was not the original plan. It was supposed to have advanced technology high thrust engines from the outset.

Also, I can't believe the F-16 bested the F-18 in this poll!

It may be safer just to call it the 4th generation fighter or later. That fits your list pretty well.

The United States Government defines 4.5 generation fighter aircraft as those that "

(1) have advanced capabilities, including—

(i) AESA radar;

(ii) high capacity data-link; and

(iii) enhanced avionics; and

(2) have the ability to deploy current and reasonably foreseeable advanced armaments."
Among those on your list of gen4.5, none has an operational AESA yet and the J-10 may a long way off. The MIG-35 plus Gripen, Typhoon and Rafale are within 2-3 years in retrofit.

The F/A-18E/F hornet is the one that truly meets the USAF definition and have had AESA radar in production since 2005. The only other one in operational status that can qualify for the USAF 4.5 gen definition is the F-15SG (Singaporean RSAF). The USAF is in the process of upgrading their F-15C and F-15E to the 4.5 definition, but is still a few years off that goal.

Sorry! All these discussion has nothing to do with the "best looking". I have made up my mind on the best looking birds before 4th gen fighter, but cannot make up my mind on the later ones.

Edited by Kei Lau
I think this post was meant for fun. I do not believe the author intended to start a debate what is modern and what is not. Just pick from the list what you you think is the prettiest airplane. I for one am disappointed the F-4 wasn't on the list. Is it modern? I don't know but it wasn't on the list so I picked from the ones that were. Done.

I know, I was just teasing :banana:

was hoping the emoticons showed that it wasn´t serious bickering.

sorry if my teasing was taken the wrong way.

MiG 29, SU 27 and Rafale btw :banana:

Edited by Aigore

Oh hell, I'll throw my hat in the ring...

F-18 (strange that the Viper is beating it)

Tie between the F-15 and the Su27, but I'm an Amurrrikin goddamit, so I voted F-15

Gripen. I realize the Rafale's a nice lookin plane, but to me, the Gripen just screams "fly me!"

Jon

How about the Chinese J-20..............very unattractive. Just very 'SU-27-slept-with-a-F-22-and-had-a-goofy-looking-bastard-child'-ish to me.

Maybe gone are the days that we have a cool looking inventory of jets to go around. It reminds me of when you could work on your own truck, but now the trucks have too many computer-fed gizmos in it to work on it by yourself.

Gimme a Skyhawk or Phantom any day of the week and twice on Sunday!

Maybe gone are the days that we have a cool looking inventory of jets to go around. It reminds me of when you could work on your own truck, but now the trucks have too many computer-fed gizmos in it to work on it by yourself.

That reminds me of something a friend of mine says rather often: "soon the day of the backyard mechanic will be history, and our knowledge and skills lost..."

I like the look of many of the new fighters, but I have my doubts any are as robust and easily field-maintained as some earlier, simpler designs...

How about the Chinese J-20..............very unattractive. Just very 'SU-27-slept-with-a-F-22-and-had-a-goofy-looking-bastard-child'-ish to me.

Gimme a Skyhawk or Phantom any day of the week and twice on Sunday!

Actually one can still do quite a bit of work on your own vehicle today. It's just that most consumers don't bother anymore. "Ewww I don't want to get my hands dirty." ;) The things that use to wear out and fail often in the by gone era of autos are things that no longer apply or are much more reliable today. Given OBDII from 1996 onwards and a proper scan tool or often another way to get a reading via a flashing check engine light technique you can get a reading of almost any parameter of your car's performance. Yes, there is often a lot more cladding and covers to remove to get to certain replaceable parts but basic maintenance can still be done by most any literate, mechanically inclined person if they care to try.

Yes, yesterday's cars/trucks may hold some persuasive feeling of nostalgia but in reality any car or truck made over say the last 10-15 years is worlds better in any way than cars/trucks made previous to them.

I agree about the cool and different looking jets from that long ago bygone era though. F-104's FOREVER!!! :rolleyes:

My 2 cents.